Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

So do I need to be scared of the LS7

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 03:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by sjjames
Chevy has apparently survived the LS7 lawsuit. Is that not true?
No. Ongoing...
Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM
badams1897
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how many have seen this video but this guy properly fixed his z06, and diagnosed it. Seems to be a very real issue, and I do not believe that simply not tracking the vehicle is a solution, pretty sure it will drop even at idle if there is too much play in the valve

Old 08-07-2018, 10:40 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
Your statement that this issue impacts very few LS7s implies that we shouldn't have to worry about it. Maybe you didn't directly say it, but indirectly you did. But my comment wasn't directed just towards you, it was meant for everyone who doesn't believe it is an issue. You are free to express your opinion, but please don't tell anyone that they shouldn't be concerned about it.

My opinion is based on the information I've ascertained over the years and is not an endorsement for worrying or not worrying. The truth is the LS7 valve dropping issue is very muddy due to a few factors: (Making statistical analysis nearly impossible)

1. Cars having existing modifications prior to failure.
2. Some drivers early downshifting resulting in mechanical over rev.
3. The financial incentive for shops to find a failing result
4. Homemade wiggle tests that may not provide an accurate result

The only thing I have endorsed is carrying some form of powertrain warranty on these vehicles.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:34 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
I'm stuck in between two worlds here. There's the forum world where every Z06 ever made is a ticking time bomb.

Then there's the real world where personally I know several Z06 owners running stock heads with no issues including my own. I have a warranty though so I'm not worried.
You (and your buddy) most likely DO have an issue (excessive clearance), you just haven't experienced a failure yet.

Perfect analogy - statistically, almost every human male born, assuming they don't die from another cause, will contract (and eventually) die from prostate cancer. Three ways that doesn't happen - 1. You get regular tests and checkups (wiggle test), and if something is found, you get treatment (VG repair), or 2. You don't live long enough (low mileage vehicle) for it to kill you, and 3. You luck out and are part of the small percentage of men that live to 100 and don't contract that type of cancer (lottery winner / gambler).

Honestly, the ONLY reason we waste time responding to these threads is when folks like yourself attempt to con nubies into a false sense of security, or convince them that GM's fairy tales are reality.

We know you are a lost cause - we are trying to prevent others from being victims.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-07-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
You (and your buddy) most likely DO have an issue (excessive clearance), you just haven't experienced a failure yet.

Perfect analogy - statistically, almost every human male born, assuming they don't die from another cause, will contract (and eventually) die from prostate cancer. Three ways that doesn't happen - 1. You get regular tests and checkups (wiggle test), and if something is found, you get treatment (VG repair), or 2. You don't live long enough (low mileage vehicle) for it to kill you, and 3. You luck out and are part of the small percentage of men that live to 100 and don't contract that type of cancer (lottery winner / gambler).

Honestly, the ONLY reason we waste time responding to these threads is when folks like yourself attempt to con nubies into a false sense of security, or convince them that GM's fairy tales are reality.

We know you are a lost cause - we are trying to prevent others from being victims.

I saved this post so I can have something to laugh at on slow days at the office.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
I saved this post so I can have something to laugh at on slow days at the office.

Thanks!
And on those slow days, the rest of us have you.
The following 3 users liked this post by Les:
dmuellenberg (08-08-2018), Josh B. (08-09-2018), MTPZ06 (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

eems to be a very real issue, and I do not believe that simply not tracking the vehicle is a solution, pretty sure it will drop even at idle if there is too much play in the valve
Sure is, the motor doesnt know what rpm its at. If a parts bad it will fail and do damage period. when I See some trying to convince themselves it only affects xxx build dates, a specific color I cringe
Every year has its defects, may get hit may not so be proactive..its like saying "My wife would never cheat cause shes mine & havent caught her". Sure buddy.

Or the one thats driving on 20 yr old tires "but I only go 45 mph".

Last edited by cv67; 08-08-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Oh look everyone, it's *this* thread again.

OP just spend $4k to get the heads redone, then you won't have to worry about a ~$20k failure, mmmkay?

Now lock the thread please.
The following users liked this post:
LV Vette (08-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 03:53 PM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Priced right!

Originally Posted by toytruckman
I have a chance to buy a 2009 Z06 with ~25K miles. As far as I can tell the car is stock, it is at a local Chevy dealer. It’s two owner, both owners had driven about equal miles. I really want a C6 Z06 but it seems the LS7 valve guide issue is all over the place. Some sites say they will blow the next time the car is started, others seem trouble free.
Help
Thanks Dave
You know that right now, Z06's are really "priced right", with a the advantage going towards the buyer these days. Just ask me. I have been trying to sell the 2007 for a while now with no takers @ $35,000.
The point is, get a priced right auto and prepare to spend a few more thousand and do just the heads...and add a cam...and headers...and free flows....Just kidding! Do the heads and change the oil once in a while and you will have a wonderful "Chevy".
It's the best buy on the planet!
Old 08-11-2018, 05:19 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Oh look everyone, it's *this* thread again.

OP just spend $4k to get the heads redone, then you won't have to worry about a ~$20k failure, mmmkay?

Now lock the thread please.
This. Or for even less cost you can have AHP take care of the heads for $1500( plus costs of head gaskets) and you and a buddy can have it taken care of in a weekend.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM
choppychop
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Observed data doesn't need a formula to be true - I don't need a degree in astro physics to know that the sun will rise tomorrow, but knock yourself out to scan the hundreds of posts of information on hundreds of sets of heads and create your own, if that's what it takes to make a believer out of you.

BTW, the Earth is not flat, either.
Please share with us your evidence of a Non-Flat Earth...
Old 08-12-2018, 07:37 PM
03BlkZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 308 Likes on 186 Posts

So back to the OP. Did you purchase the car?
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Nah... he just came in here to stir everyone up... Prolly SOCAL's "Bro"...… He prolly just went and bought a Mustang 5.slow...
Old 08-14-2018, 11:23 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Not sure if the OP bought the car, but in Post #29 he did say he was convinced about the problem and asked some follow up questions.

Quick Reply: So do I need to be scared of the LS7