Z06 Can surging be tuned out???? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Can surging be tuned out????

Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 PM
RamAir972003
CF Senior Member

Spark smoothing ......
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 PM
phils C5 vette
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Not all of the surging can be tuned out, but most of that it can be cleaned up with a couple of hours of street tuning. That seems to be a long lost art. If you had it "dyno tuned", you probably got a couple pulls at WOT dialing in some timing and AFR. WOTs is pretty easy to tune. Then they told you, its got a aftermarket cam and that's the way they all drive. Not necessary true.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 PM
73DBG
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cman01 View Post
Here's the cam card (note the lift #'s are with 1.7 rockers....my lift with 1.8 rockers is 0.660")

:

I've been checking out Cam Motion's site and if I were to do a cam swap I was thinking of replacing the Kaotik with their stage 3 LS7 cam (assuming their cam will work with all my stuff already on the car) or custom grind again making sure the cam will work with my supporting parts.

http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/l...246-117-5-3-5/
I recently used cam motion for a custom grind blower cam, Bob is a solid dude answered all my questions got all of my engine specs and mods and sent me a beautiful piece of work! I used the 8620 as well.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 PM
BigVette427
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Apocolipse View Post
Turn off STFT in tune.
Wouldn't that essentially be tuning for MAF only rendering SD essentially off? MAF only tunes are half assed.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigVette427 View Post
Wouldn't that essentially be tuning for MAF only rendering SD essentially off? MAF only tunes are half assed.
Nope just turns off fuel correction. Most of the time the surge people feel is from the o2 switching.

Btw in relation to maf tuning...just because its "easier" doesn't make it half assed. Technology has always made lives easier so when something is available why not use it?maf's and computers of today are not rhe same as the ones available yesterday...way more powerful.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Cman01
CF Senior Member

Michael_D reached out to me via PM and I sent him my tune files...…………………..so we'll see what he has to say after checking them out.

A big shout out to him for offering to look at my tune files.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Michael_D
CF Senior Member

Looked at both files. Tony's tune file can use some work. I will not go into details online. He has my thoughts and opinions. Arguing with tuners never ends well and I don't need the drama.

David's file is pretty stock. Nothing in the file suggests his problem is tune related. Probably something simple. I'd start with the air intake track and make sure it's good. Vac leak maybe? I'd thoroughly look for anything that may not have been put back together correctly after the head work. Non-intrusive first, then pull the valve covers if you can't find anything obvious.

The fan shroud issue discussed applies to OEM air filters, more than aftermarket. The MF should not be affected to the same degree, but I suppose it's worth ruling out.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:06 PM
lt1z
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigVette427 View Post

So MAF only tunes are half assed but you also have no idea what that really means? CF experts
Old 08-11-2018, 03:45 PM
double06
CF Senior Member

Default Do you have stock clutch flywheel

A light flywheel set up can also issues. Anything like 30 pounds total can magnify surging issues.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:39 PM
StealthFRC
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post
Looked at both files. Tony's tune file can use some work. I will not go into details online. He has my thoughts and opinions. Arguing with tuners never ends well and I don't need the drama.

David's file is pretty stock. Nothing in the file suggests his problem is tune related. Probably something simple. I'd start with the air intake track and make sure it's good. Vac leak maybe? I'd thoroughly look for anything that may not have been put back together correctly after the head work. Non-intrusive first, then pull the valve covers if you can't find anything obvious.

The fan shroud issue discussed applies to OEM air filters, more than aftermarket. The MF should not be affected to the same degree, but I suppose it's worth ruling out.
a hole in the fan shroud caused issues with my zr1. Fell like it had a misfire at times with cruising, turned out to just be a gust of air or whatever with that hole. Covered the hole and it drives perfect. My tuner chased that ghost for what seemed like days before figuring it out.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:30 PM
Sox-Fan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael_D View Post

Thank you Michael. I appreciate knowing that it's a reasonable tune. I spent an hour and a can of starter fluid looking for vacuum leaks, but I will go over it again. Radiator shroud has been ordered, should ship Monday.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 PM
GoVolsZ06

Sox. Just sent you a private message. I just replaced MAF sensor and bam. Surge is 100 percent gone. I did have a hesitation at full throttle a couple of times but Im assuming computer needs to re adjust. If not Im just going to take back to turner and let him dial back in again. The shroud got it back to about 80 percent smooth but new MAF made it 100 percent smooth.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 PM
GoVolsZ06

After looking at old MAF it was a made in Japan aftermarket part. A tune adjustment is def in order with the GM part in there now.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:00 AM
Cman01
CF Senior Member

I want to again thank Michael_D for taking a look at my tune file. I replied back to him with my thoughts and it looks like I will look into a retune with a reputable tuner. I'll do another thread soon to see who is recommended near me and with Michael's permission I will list shortly some of what he saw in the file that he isn't impressed with.

I'm not going to go nuclear on the tuner that gave me the tune I'm running now, I'll deal with the issue(s) mentioned by Michael and hopefully have my Z running smoother and better. As the car sits now it does run pretty good (with DR's and bogging off the line I've done [email protected] in the 1/4) and I don't feel there is a risk of hurting the engine ripping it with this tune (I've done numerous full throttle hits and no problems) so I'll get the issues sorted out and enjoy the car knowing that it will be properly tuned.

Looking back a year ago I did this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...veability.html

slightly different issue but similar.

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 08-12-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

If you are running on a maf tune you need to adjust the IVT table for the higher idle kpa vs stock. That will solve your cold start issues.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Cman01
CF Senior Member

These are the 4 things Michael_D found in my tune that he isn't too fond of:
  1. MAF tune. SD has essentially disabled. No VE calibration was done.
  2. Idle minimum effective area is raised. I leave this at Zero.
  3. LTFTs have been disabled.
  4. Hi Octane spark table copied to Lo table.
I'll just leave it at that, I will be getting a retune to see if the surging will be eliminated completely or reduced significantly.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:30 AM
phils C5 vette
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Cman01 View Post
These are the 4 things Michael_D found in my tune that he isn't too fond of:
  1. MAF tune. SD has essentially disabled. No VE calibration was done.
  2. Idle minimum effective area is raised. I leave this at Zero.
  3. LTFTs have been disabled.
  4. Hi Octane spark table copied to Lo table.
I'll just leave it at that, I will be getting a retune to see if the surging will be eliminated completely or reduced significantly.
those aren't reasons why your car is surging/bucking in low RPMs.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Agreed.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Michael_D
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette View Post
those aren't reasons why your car is surging/bucking in low RPMs.
Originally Posted by Apocolipse View Post
Agreed.
And they are not the reasons why I suggested he have the tune revisited. But your responses and quick assumptions, without so much as a question asking "why", are perfect examples of why I do not care to have a tuning discussion with "internet experts" on this forum.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Doesnt hurt my feelings at all, good luck with the retune.

Internet tune expert out.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: