Z06 Can surging be tuned out???? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Can surging be tuned out????

Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
flyloeZ06
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Subscribed... as I also have some surging / bucking at low rpm. And a tendency for the rpms to drop to around 200 or even die when I let off gas and push in clutch after it has heat soaked for a short while, and I get in and go after it's been shut off for 10 minutes or longer. It was really bad until tuner drilled 1/8 hole in throttle plate. At least now it doesn't just die after I release gas and push in clutch .
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
GoVolsZ06

Originally Posted by flyloeZ06 View Post
Subscribed... as I also have some surging / bucking at low rpm. And a tendency for the rpms to drop to around 200 or even die when I let off gas and push in clutch after it has heat soaked for a short while, and I get in and go after it's been shut off for 10 minutes or longer. It was really bad until tuner drilled 1/8 hole in throttle plate. At least now it doesn't just die after I release gas and push in clutch .
Replace your maf sensor. Mine surged and got better after putting radiator shroud back on but still died occasionally. Replaced MAF and smooth as silk now. Just be sure to use OEM and not aftermarket.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Cman01
CF Senior Member

I'm revisiting this thread again. So as Michael_D mentioned in one of his points I have a MAF tune instead of SD tune. Now from my old fox body 5.0 days when you modded those cars you wanted to switch to a Mass Air Flow sensor setup if you had a Speed Density car. Now it looks like on a Z06 it is the opposite??

I had an 89 5.0L Mustang when they were new and that was the first year they got MAF which was supposed to allow much greater ability to mod the car vs. if you had an earlier version Mustang which was SD. If you heavily modded a SD Mustang (cams and stuff) you would get that annoying revving and dropping idle cause the system couldn't figure out the airflow to the engine that a mass airflow sensor equipped car can.

Now our Z06's have a mass air sensor so I'm kinda confused about this.

Tony
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
GoVolsZ06

You can unplug (or forget to plug back)😁the MAF and car will actually drive good under SD but lose power and break up under hard throttle. Ask me how I know. 🤪
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
flyloeZ06
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GoVolsZ06 View Post

Replace your maf sensor. Mine surged and got better after putting radiator shroud back on but still died occasionally. Replaced MAF and smooth as silk now. Just be sure to use OEM and not aftermarket.
I'm going to talk to my engine builder and suggest we try that. Car also now has Halltech CAI, which places the MAF forward of where it normally is.
Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
GoVolsZ06

Flyloe. I have a mf108 as well. Had to replace radiator shroud. My shop said he sees that issue with the halltech a lot where the direct air causes surging. So remedy is to put shroud back. You might lose minimal hp on top end but no big deal. I can tell zero difference. If that doesn’t fix your issue then you probably have a faulty MAF
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Dale1990
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15

Just curious, if the current tune has SD (VVE) disabled, is the intent to disable the MAF entirely and switch to full SD or to run them in blended mode (ie. tune them both) like it does stock? I'm still quite green when it comes to tuning so I'm just trying to learn something
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
flyloeZ06
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GoVolsZ06 View Post
Flyloe. I have a mf108 as well. Had to replace radiator shroud. My shop said he sees that issue with the halltech a lot where the direct air causes surging. So remedy is to put shroud back. You might lose minimal hp on top end but no big deal. I can tell zero difference. If that doesn’t fix your issue then you probably have a faulty MAF
I'll talk to my engine builder and see what he thinks. Thanks for the reply. Hope I can get it resolved.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: