Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Information on 427 model

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Edwin Rufle
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Information on 427 model

Two months ago, about a year after after my 2010 Z06 was declared dead, I sought after and bought a 2013 60th Anniversary 427 model. I love the car but I have three questions bugging me and I hope this is the place to get answers. I can’t find any answers on the web with regards to specific differences between this car and the previous years heads. I don’t think anyone has done any work to them and I may just replace them. What’s holding me up is that when I look up, let’s say; push rods /2013 / Chevy/ Corvette / 427 (model) /LS7/ it will show 427 as the model. However, when I look up cylinder heads the same way, when I get to the model 427 is not there. Did they make a different set of heads for the 427? If so what is the day? Was the valve problem fixed? I know it has a different suspension than the Z06. The Typical answer is their the same except for the suspension but that’s not true. For one thing I have read the differential is the same but I drove at 80mph back and forth from Wichita and Kansas City in sixth gear with the cruise control on and the tachometer stayed a sliver below 1500rpms the entire time. It didn’t even lug or rattle going up the Flint Hills. To drag race this car one would definitely need a new set of gears. It’s perfect for me but I swear even first gear seems like it’s a numerically lower ratio. It’s not supposed to be, I found that out. What other differences are there? If no one knows please tell me where to find out before I put the appropriate aftermarket parts on. That’s my final question what parts are y’all recommending for the 427. Before I put a lot of money in it is there a canned tune that works well or is the $400 worth it?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:40 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Same exact LS7 heads. You may want to read up on rod bearing issues that affected 2013 models with an LS7.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I built my low mileage Z06 as sort of the way I feel GM should have built the motor from the beginning, with an increased empahsis on durability. Started with the heads and then did a mild cam with superior 8620 core and lobes, to maintain that desired objective. No need to throw your old heads out, just have AHP go through them and install some Moldstar 90 valve guides for you. If your interested in keeping the car for awhile, I'd reccommend the PSI valve springs, Ferrera exhaust valves, hand porting (especially if you're going to do a cam,) and maybe even consider the CHE trunnion upgrade. All depends upon what you want to do with the car and how much you care to spend.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Default 2013 60th Anniversary 427

Originally Posted by Edwin Rufle
Two months ago, about a year after after my 2010 Z06 was declared dead, I sought after and bought a 2013 60th Anniversary 427 model. I love the car but I have three questions bugging me and I hope this is the place to get answers. I can’t find any answers on the web with regards to specific differences between this car and the previous years heads. I don’t think anyone has done any work to them and I may just replace them. What’s holding me up is that when I look up, let’s say; push rods /2013 / Chevy/ Corvette / 427 (model) /LS7/ it will show 427 as the model. However, when I look up cylinder heads the same way, when I get to the model 427 is not there. Did they make a different set of heads for the 427? If so what is the day? Was the valve problem fixed? I know it has a different suspension than the Z06. The Typical answer is their the same except for the suspension but that’s not true. For one thing I have read the differential is the same but I drove at 80mph back and forth from Wichita and Kansas City in sixth gear with the cruise control on and the tachometer stayed a sliver below 1500rpms the entire time. It didn’t even lug or rattle going up the Flint Hills. To drag race this car one would definitely need a new set of gears. It’s perfect for me but I swear even first gear seems like it’s a numerically lower ratio. It’s not supposed to be, I found that out. What other differences are there? If no one knows please tell me where to find out before I put the appropriate aftermarket parts on. That’s my final question what parts are y’all recommending for the 427. Before I put a lot of money in it is there a canned tune that works well or is the $400 worth it?
Check this link on the 2013 427 specs. This will answer some of your questions. The heads on the LS7's are all the same. Lots of info on here about the heads and the connecting rod bearings.
https://www.corvettemuseum.org/learn...orvette-specs/

Last edited by 427C62013A; 08-16-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

A parts recommendation would greatly depend on what you want out of the car...1/4 mile, road course, street use, etc., or how you plan to use it. Most folks say a cam, headers, CAI, and tune and you are pretty good to go, again, depending on how many ponies you want. I would be willing to say gearing is one of the last things folks do to these cars. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:38 PM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

get the guides fixed on the heads no doubt. 90% LS7 motors are no bueno. Have oil analysis done on ti for the coating on the rods to see if yours is infected.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 AM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

No doubt 99% of the folks posting about the LS7 valve issue have no real data to support their claim.

But they will tell you to get your heads fixed.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 AM
Konadog06
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

It’s perfect for me but I swear even first gear seems like it’s a numerically lower ratio. It’s not supposed to be, I found that out. What other differences are there? If no one knows please tell me where to find out before I put the appropriate aftermarket parts on. That’s my final question what parts are y’all recommending for the 427. Before I put a lot of money in it is there a canned tune that works well or is the $400 worth it?
Edwin, can offer some response to the last part of your post. Owning both a 2006 Z06 and a 427 there is a different feel to the initial acceleration of the cars. These are fly by wire accellerator pedal cars and I'm pretty sure GM deadened the pedal by way of the computer in the 2013 car if not before year 2013. Guessing this effort was for fuel economy and possibly safety for the masses. You actually have to push the pedal further to get similar acceleration. Upon first driving the 427 the pedal felt dead to me. Then getting back into the Z, it felt like the front end lifted off the ground when first accelerating as the pedal was so light in comparison. My guess is a good tune will bring you much closer to where you want to be.
Also remember the 427 is roughly 200 pounds heavier. And I'm not sure of the overall dimensions of the rear wheels with tires now being on 20" rims versus the earlier 19" wheels but, it could be a slight factor in the final drive ratio.
Other than the weight handicap, I'd say the acceleration at wide open throttle is still comparable 2013 vs 2006Z.
Bill
FL
The following users liked this post:
427C62013A (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 01:49 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
No doubt 99% of the folks posting about the LS7 valve issue have no real data to support their claim.

Actually, the vast majority of people posting here have concrete evidence...their own particular vehicle. You however, who wants to see data, has yet to crack a valve cover on your car...
Old 08-17-2018, 04:48 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Actually, the vast majority of people posting here have concrete evidence...their own particular vehicle. You however, who wants to see data, has yet to crack a valve cover on your car...
Just when I thought we were out of made up figures.
z06clif (08-20-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 05:03 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Just when I thought we were out of made up figures.
Pot meet kettle...troll.

1985 Corvette (07-28-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 PM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I have real data posted on my out of spec guides, search my threads. I also thought there was a thread with lots of people who posted their results.... you could search that too
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Pot meet kettle...troll.
How am I a troll? I'm still running stock heads on mines.

Not letting your fake doomsday forecasts scare me into a $3K job
Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

How am I a troll? I'm still running stock heads on mines.

Not letting your fake doomsday forecasts scare me into a $3K job
Once a troll, always a troll...Datrojan. The name change doesn't escape it.

I'm not trying to scare you into doing anything...I could care less what you do with your car. Its your "advice" to owners that often suggests there's really nothing to worry about, which is plain reckless. Besides, you have a warranty...let them pay for the repairs that you'll highly likely need.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 08-17-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Once a troll, always a troll...Datrojan. The name change doesn't escape it.

I'm not trying to scare you into doing anything...I could care less what you do with your car. Its your "advice" to owners that often suggests there's really nothing to worry about, which is plain reckless. Besides, you have a warranty...let them pay for the repairs that you'll highly likely need.
The first thing I tell new owners is to purchase a warranty.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM
passagemaker43
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 198 Posts

Back to actual facts on the 427 convertible. Advertised curb weight of my 427 is 3355 lbs. My 2009 Z06 has an advertised weight of 3180 lbs. That means compared to that car, all else being equal, it is down almost 30 horsepower. Tire height is exactly the same at 26.6 inches for the rear tires on both cars despite the different sizes. I would expect the acceleration difference to be representative of the additional weight.
I think Konadog06 might have a point about the throttle feel. My Z throttle feels initially livelier, more than less than a 30 horsepower difference relative to weight would account for. Full throttle still gives great results, you just have to work a little harder to get to it. Also since my Z has about 50 horsepower more than stock it is not a true apples to apples comparison.
Keith
Edwin Rufle (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Edwin Rufle
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great information

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I built my low mileage Z06 as sort of the way I feel GM should have built the motor from the beginning, with an increased empahsis on durability. Started with the heads and then did a mild cam with superior 8620 core and lobes, to maintain that desired objective. No need to throw your old heads out, just have AHP go through them and install some Moldstar 90 valve guides for you. If your interested in keeping the car for awhile, I'd reccommend the PSI valve springs, Ferrera exhaust valves, hand porting (especially if you're going to do a cam,) and maybe even consider the CHE trunnion upgrade. All depends upon what you want to do with the car and how much you care to spend.
Thanks for the information. Even though I have been going to this site since 2011 I had a little trouble getting back on. I was mourning the death of my first LS7 for a year. I bought a lemon but to by a good one requires patience. There weren't too many to be had in Wichita. I had to go on the internet to find what I really want. I am 60 years old and can drive a fast car as well as most people here. My first 400hp+ car was a 1974 Ventura GTO. Very light weight and not meant for that kind of hp. I had a lot of fun with it. It's probably a good thing it was rear ended by a city bus. If not for the bus I'm sure it would have been going down the road sideways because of the fact it didn't have a real frame. My point is people buy fast cars to drive fast. I'm no exception but I try to have my fun and use my head. If you drag race one of these things you are going to spend more money fixing it than you paid for it. When I bought a 2010 Z with 41,000 miles on it I didn't worry. It had great paint and real leather in the interior. After I found out the play in the crank was pounding on the tranny the salesperson said it had been raced. Suprise! If I had my way I'd run it into the ground and replace it with a stroker, maybe 420-454 ci. I'd make sure it was built strong but not because I'm going to race it. I will ride it hard on e in a while but I'm 60,a retired GTO driver. I want to have fun while I can and that's my way. I don't walk well anymore but I drive exceptionally well. I have a heart cathterization coming up. I'll never spend the money I saved for retirement but my wife has made it known she wants to. I was an athlete and tore this body up just like y'all are tearing up 600hp cars and complaining about it. Take it easy if you're doing something you're cars not meant to handle. Don't blame the car. No I'm not worried about valve guides or rod bearings. If I rode it hard all night long it will still be here when I'm gone. I do honestly thank you for your input it sounds like we all ptetty much want the same care, as fasr in the corner as in the straight away!
Ed Rufle
MS Educational Psychology and the toughest Advanced Chemistry teacher you ever knew.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:07 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

At the 7/28/2019 Issaquah,WA Corvette Show.......I saw what I believe to be a 2013 60th Anniversary 427
Convertable. This Vette was a Darker Blue METALLIC with Blue Convertable Top......

I was under the impression that all these 60th Anniversary 427's were WHITE with Silver Stripes...

Anybody here care to offer me a link sharing the facts on these cars

Why were the CUP Wheels powder coated a medium Gray color......not the most attractive color
vs the Base Silver that is on my Z06's and Grand Sports

Chuck Auburn,WA

Get notified of new replies

To Information on 427 model

Quick Reply: Information on 427 model