Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Ls7 ti rod education

Old 08-16-2018, 12:13 PM
rlawson
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls7 ti rod education

hi Guys. Hopefully you can help me with my dilemma.

Assembling a stock bottom end LS7 for a build here. as I’m going through the process, I am at measuring rods for out of round. Am using Arp bolts since there are no other aftermarket options and I am getting measurements that are varying .0007 to .0015 OOR. That being said, what am I up against in correcting this? I have spoken to Katech and gotten that the rods are coated? I of course would have to grind .002 off the parting surface and re hone. Are these in fact coated in the parting line surface and bore surface? And if so how do I fix this or where do I look to have this fixed? Certainly I’m not the only one that has had this issue but the search features bring up a lot of steel cracked cap applications.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

you mean push rods ???
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM
rlawson
Cruising

Connecting rods to clarify things if needed.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Katech makes rodbolts specifically for the TI rods. Should send them in to get rebushed on the small end, recoated/checked and setup properly.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Katech makes rodbolts specifically for the TI rods. Should send them in to get rebushed on the small end, recoated/checked and setup properly.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM
rlawson
Cruising

Originally Posted by Unreal
they did, but do not anymore. Only option is arp. And directly on the phone with Katech they do not resize in house.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:02 PM
rlawson
Cruising

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Couldn't agree more.

am am I missing something? Katech rod bolts have been discontinued for quite some time now. Used to use them on every build.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by rlawson

am am I missing something? Katech rod bolts have been discontinued for quite some time now. Used to use them on every build.
Nope...you're right, I flat out forgot about that. Their supplier went out of business IIRC.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I do not believe they are coated at the parting line, but it can flake on you. I know forum member BAD_AX has messed with them a bit. You should shoot him a PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:41 AM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

ARP makes a replacement rod bolt set for the LS7. Some people send the rods to Calico for a recoating, which is required in my opinion. The rod coating flaking off is second only to the valve guide issue on the LS7. Once the old coating is compromised, it sends both rods to hell and metal debris into the oil. So if someone is rebuilding their LS7 it would be crazy not to have the rods recoated while they are out. Rebushing the small end isn't really critical IMO. Better to focus on pin fit and bearing clearance with the new bolts, resizing if necessary.

Or.....Just install some H-Beams and enjoy the giant cap screw that comes with them. Dwarfing the LS7 cap screw diameter.

ARP 234-6302 for the ARP LS7 rod bolts

Last edited by Josh B.; 08-19-2018 at 02:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh B.:
jayyyw (08-19-2018), TriSum1 (08-19-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 01:19 PM
rlawson
Cruising

Originally Posted by Josh B.
ARP makes a replacement rod bolt set for the LS7. Some people send the rods to Calico for a recoating, which is required in my opinion. The rod coating flaking off is second only to the valve guide issue on the LS7. Once the old coating is compromised, it sends both rods to hell and metal debris into the oil. So if someone is rebuilding their LS7 it would be crazy not to have the rods recoated while they are out. Rebushing the small end isn't really critical IMO. Better to focus on pin fit and bearing clearance with the new bolts, resizing if necessary.

Or.....Just install some H-Beams and enjoy the giant cap screw that comes with them. Dwarfing the LS7 cap screw diameter.

ARP 234-6302 for the ARP LS7 rod bolts
i have the rod bolts you stated that’s what started this debacle. Basically I’ve had the block honed to go .005 over, and the rotating assembly balanced with the current rods pistons etc. Heads are fixed. So now I’m stuck against trying to get these redone and new rods would Require a rebalance, and the cost of new rods. And probably new pistons which would set me way back again. Every place I’ve inquired to about resizing says they can resize but say nothing about the coating or anything on that matter.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:37 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by rlawson

i have the rod bolts you stated that’s what started this debacle. Basically I’ve had the block honed to go .005 over, and the rotating assembly balanced with the current rods pistons etc. Heads are fixed. So now I’m stuck against trying to get these redone and new rods would Require a rebalance, and the cost of new rods. And probably new pistons which would set me way back again. Every place I’ve inquired to about resizing says they can resize but say nothing about the coating or anything on that matter.
Reason I suggest you ping BAD_AX is that he is familiar with your dilemma. He looked into adding champher to the big ends to use these rods with aftermarket cranks that have large fillets. H bearings still don't give enough clearance, so additional champher is needed, but it's tricky. Cutting a champher flakes the coating. I don't know how far he got with this. Most builders just swap out rods, so institutional knowledge with hands on experience is somewhat lacking.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 PM
rlawson
Cruising

I have sent him a pm however waiting on a response. Running Stock crank as well with h bearings. Just need to get the oor issie fuxed as cost effective as possible.

Last edited by rlawson; 08-19-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

So, is it not possible to purchase and install stock GM rod bolts, or are the only sold as an assembly?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58 PM
ls404fd
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I just torqued ARP bolts into my stock rods over the weekend. Ran out of time to measure them.

From what I've read, you can likely get away with just a light touch on a hone to get them back round and they hopefully don't need the caps cut down.

I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants on this one. We'll see how it goes. Calico does offer a coating for the rods, but it is not the stock coating. Re-coating them with CrN is not possible. The heat required to remove the original coating will compromise the titanium.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:16 PM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

Does anybody know how Lingenfelter handles this issue?

Get notified of new replies

To Ls7 ti rod education

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ls7 ti rod education