Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Ever own a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:49 PM
SoFloVette
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Out if all the Ferraris out there. My dream one would still be the 308 GTSI. At one point you could grab one for about $30K. Now they're going for $60K + if in good condition. And they keep going up.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:53 PM
mdopole1
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Looked at a 360 before i bought my z06. The only thing that stopped me was the F1 transmission. Nearest place to get it worked on was a 4 hour drive away(Dallas).
Old 08-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Jonsav
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a few and still own a gated 360 and 575. They are truly a unique driving experience, if you are debating on buying one do it, you will not regret it.
The following users liked this post:
94sundevil (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 PM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a 355 GTS 6 speed. It was a maintenance nightmare. It was the only car I've owned that I could not repair. The last straw was a permanent limp mode triggered by the exhaust O2 sensor system. It was "repaired" by a dealer and I jumped at the opportunity to sell them the car when they were done. The new owner had an immediate recurrence of the problem and the car was in the shop for another 3 months thereafter. Every 3 years or 30K miles the engine and transaxle have to be removed to change the cam belts. This is not optional. The price is 8-12K depending on what is needed....and there is always something that is wrong with these cars. Just go to Ferrari chat for a dose of what it is like to own one of these cars and actually try to use it as a car.
If you want a slow, high maintenance car then buy one. Just be prepared to be a back marker at every track day. There will be many Corvettes passing you.
94sundevil (08-23-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 PM
dwe8922
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had a 360 and then a 430 over the last 12 years. I've done almost all of the maintenance myself. The 360 has the belts done with the motor in the car, and the 430 has been fluids only since it's chain driven. I do take the 430 to the dealer every other year to flush the F1 system, as that really requires the computer to operate. Parts are more expensive, but not too bad. Now if something major goes, that could get real expensive but I've found them quite reliable and reasonable to own cost wise, if maintained properly. Fantastic cars to drive; could not speak more highly of the driving experience.
94sundevil (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:56 AM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Owning a ferrari

Originally Posted by 94sundevil
Have any Corvette owners had a Ferrari and what were your impressions. Don’t want to start a bashing thread here just curious.
i have been very fortunate and at one point had a Ferrari 328gts, A ferrari F430 with a stick shift, A ZR1 and a McLaren 570s. Here are my observations-

​​​​​​— 328 too Old to compare to ZR1. Gives you an intimate driving experience (no power steering etc), that you can’t get in a modern car. I keep it because it is beautiful and pleasure to drive. Maintenance costs are much higher then the ZR1
- opposite is true of the McLaren. Such new technology, carbon fiber tub, better to compare to C8 when it comes out.

So, best comparison is ZR1 v F430 stick shift. By every objective measure (except maybe cows hides used on interior and seats have better bolstering/support) the ZR1 is the winner. Much less expensive. Maintenance cost is maybe 20-25%of the Ferrari (yes, that is 75%less cost) accelerates fasted, brakes quicker, more G’s in the corners, better gas mileage, comfortable on long trips (we drove from Chicago to FL and back, I never drive F Car more than an hour).... so why do I own the Ferrari. More intuitive to drive (while after spending time in the ZR1 on the track, it is very well balanced and easy to drive at the limit, it takes some time to learn although once you have you are good to go). Ferrari driving experience is much more pleasurable to me. Car feels more nimble, flat plane crank makes great noises. Driving the car is an experience each time. Feels like ferrari was designed with the thought of giving the driver an experience and then performance was optimized while maintaining that experience. Corvette feels like the opposite to me. Designed to maximize all performance measurements and the harmonized into a great driving experience. If you can’t afford a Ferrari, don’t drive one. The ZR1 gives you a really good driving experience that I would be very satisfied with had I not tasted Ferrari. As I said, I was fortunate to have a very positive business transaction that put me in a good financial position to I got lucky.

Hope this is on point and helps.
94sundevil (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 12:08 PM
94sundevil
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by howl

i have been very fortunate and at one point had a Ferrari 328gts, A ferrari F430 with a stick shift, A ZR1 and a McLaren 570s. Here are my observations-

​​​​​​— 328 too Old to compare to ZR1. Gives you an intimate driving experience (no power steering etc), that you can’t get in a modern car. I keep it because it is beautiful and pleasure to drive. Maintenance costs are much higher then the ZR1
- opposite is true of the McLaren. Such new technology, carbon fiber tub, better to compare to C8 when it comes out.

So, best comparison is ZR1 v F430 stick shift. By every objective measure (except maybe cows hides used on interior and seats have better bolstering/support) the ZR1 is the winner. Much less expensive. Maintenance cost is maybe 20-25%of the Ferrari (yes, that is 75%less cost) accelerates fasted, brakes quicker, more G’s in the corners, better gas mileage, comfortable on long trips (we drove from Chicago to FL and back, I never drive F Car more than an hour).... so why do I own the Ferrari. More intuitive to drive (while after spending time in the ZR1 on the track, it is very well balanced and easy to drive at the limit, it takes some time to learn although once you have you are good to go). Ferrari driving experience is much more pleasurable to me. Car feels more nimble, flat plane crank makes great noises. Driving the car is an experience each time. Feels like ferrari was designed with the thought of giving the driver an experience and then performance was optimized while maintaining that experience. Corvette feels like the opposite to me. Designed to maximize all performance measurements and the harmonized into a great driving experience. If you can’t afford a Ferrari, don’t drive one. The ZR1 gives you a really good driving experience that I would be very satisfied with had I not tasted Ferrari. As I said, I was fortunate to have a very positive business transaction that put me in a good financial position to I got lucky.

Hope this is on point and helps.
Thanks for the in depth response. Seems most owners enjoy their cars, just need to be aware that maintenance is expensive and followed closely. Your comment about not wanting to drive an F car longer than hour is interesting, I probably have more fun taking my Corvette on long trips than driving around town. I’ll drive a few and see how I feel then.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:38 PM
howl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 94sundevil

Thanks for the in depth response. Seems most owners enjoy their cars, just need to be aware that maintenance is expensive and followed closely. Your comment about not wanting to drive an F car longer than hour is interesting, I probably have more fun taking my Corvette on long trips than driving around town. I’ll drive a few and see how I feel then.
to be fair, I probably would take a 458 or 488 or Lusso (gt Car line) on a long trip. Then again, those cars don’t have the engagement of the stick shift F430. All trade offs. The McLaren is no my go to Car on a long trip. More comfortable than the corvette, better sound system, and with carbon fiber tub, very quite with windows rolled up. Also, and for some reason I think this easier to accomplish with rear mid engine car, ride is more compliant while handling is great. But again, we are comparing a car launched as an’09 to one launched as a ‘16 in a very rapidly changing world.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:25 AM
Jonsav
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends what you want in a car, I enjoyed the 430 much much more than the zr1.
It's slower but more of a drivers car.

I also took the scuderia on a few long trips and absolutely loved it.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:14 PM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good info in here for those of us that are curious or 'planning ahead'!
Hope to hear more experiences/comparisons of exotics to our Corvettes.

If anyone has tracked both, please do comment on that environment too.

Quick Reply: Ever own a Ferrari?