Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

100 low lead Avgas

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:28 AM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 100 low lead Avgas

Ive always wondered what negative effects would low lead fuel have if used sparingly in the Z? The fuel is rated 100 octane and is aviation fuel. I have a station not far away and at $4.50 a gallon it sparked a small thought. Would the low lead have bad effects on the intake valves or seats? I know the 02 sensors would be compromised after a while. More likely, I’m too chicken to do it but still wanted to know how bad it was for our engines. Since lead has been used in the past.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Don't even think about it for a street driven Corvette. You will destroy your O2 sensors, foul your spark plugs, ruin your cats, likely damage the valves, guides, seats and the heads themselves. The lead deposits are highly corrosive and the chemical blend they add to the fuel is not designed for our motor. Most places won't even sell it to you for your car, as they know it a bonehead move in addition to being a highly regulated fuel designed for aviation applications. It's literally illegal to put it in your car and drive that car on the street.

So strike this idea and never think about it again.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Well there you go....
Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 AM
JesC6Z
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

That response was enough to scare me plenty. Idea removed from the brain

Thanks Moredeth.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:23 PM
Ronstar
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts

Lot of guys run it in old hot rods. The “low lead” is actually pretty high. It’s low lead in relation to other aviation fuel but high for auto use. I would not run it in a car with cats and O2 sensors
Old 09-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The pros: Your valve seats will love the lead and your knock sensor will never go off and you'll be in the high octane timing map.
The cons: However, the main concern would be fouling the O2 sensors and cats if you got 'em.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:46 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Used it in many cars back in the day. Usually 5 gallons to 15 gallons of unleaded premium. Never had an issue. Could run as much timing as needed to make most power.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:52 PM
AHP
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Here in the real world, 100LL is perfectly fine if cut with regular pump 93, provided you do not have cats. If you run it straight you'd need to re-tune for it due to the lower specific gravity.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Here in the real world, there are better and less harmful ways to raise octane for fuel used in a modern engine, as opposed to illegally dumping leaded aviation fuel into your street car's gas tank.

Do you run 100LL aviation fuel in your street driven ZR1?
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 PM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran it in a Honda CBR600rr track bike as a way to get around the cost of VP. Mixed it 50/50 with unleaded premium. No cats, no O2 sensors. Straight tune. I quit running it after a season when I pulled the head off and the whole thing was just one big lead deposit......
Old 09-19-2018, 11:04 AM
AHP
Pro

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Here in the real world, there are better and less harmful ways to raise octane for fuel used in a modern engine, as opposed to illegally dumping leaded aviation fuel into your street car's gas tank.

Do you run 100LL aviation fuel in your street driven ZR1?

Still salty..

Obviously there are better alternatives, subject to availability, and running any leaded fuel has caveats. I didn't feel it necessary to include a follow-on disclaimer outlining all risks and responsibilities; seems OP has a reasonable enough understanding..

In my experience, for occasional use, mixed at no more greater than 1:1 it's perfectly fine, for say a trip to the drag strip, experimenting on the dyno, etc.. Given the option, no one would choose 100LL over automotive race fuel; however, if it's all you have reasonable access to, then it is a suitable (though less than ideal) alternative if used with some common sense.

No, I do not run 100LL in my ZR1, or any of my cars, currently --- I have reasonable access to racing fuel and Ethanol-based fuels. On the topic, I've run literally hundreds of gallons of leaded race fuels in various applications and despite what codgers on the internet said, I've never had any of the purported issues. Anyway, I enjoy learning things through my own experiences vs. relying on internet anecdotes.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

It is probably fine once in a while and if you don't let it sit in your car. As mentioned above, the stuff is highly corrosive.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by AHP
Anyway, I enjoy learning things through my own experiences vs. relying on internet anecdotes.
We are on the internet here and sharing experiences. That was the purpose of this thread and most threads. What else are we doing? Further, you expect others to consider your experiences yet deny the value in theirs. Your comments are entirely non-sequitur and hypocritical . And as I suspected, you wisely don't put 100LL aviation fuel in your C6. Thanks for the laugh though.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:10 PM
AHP
Pro

Great, I'm laughing too.. Your pedantry and whataboutisms are predictable and tiring... And clearly you completely missed the point, which is gather/research the data and then go try it for yourself before concluding and reporting an outcome.

On this topic I don't believe you're sharing "experience", you're melodramatically parroting the same old codger tales. Coincidentally I have a buddy in aviation that has an abundance of 100LL. He's been occasionally spiking the tank in his blown C5Z for years and despite your free wisdom he and the car has miraculously survived (and run 160's in the 1/2 mile).
Old 09-19-2018, 01:15 PM
juanvaldez
Team Owner

Received 493 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
It is probably fine once in a while and if you don't let it sit in your car. As mentioned above, the stuff is highly corrosive.
Bullshit.
The following users liked this post:
corvettenutz (09-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by AHP
Great, I'm laughing too.. Your pedantry and whataboutisms are predictable and tiring... And clearly you completely missed the point, which is gather/research the data and then go try it for yourself before concluding and reporting an outcome.

On this topic I don't believe you're sharing "experience", you're melodramatically parroting the same old codger tales. Coincidentally I have a buddy in aviation that has an abundance of 100LL. He's been occasionally spiking the tank in his blown C5Z for years and despite your free wisdom he and the car has miraculously survived (and run 160's in the 1/2 mile).
I'm a private pilot that used to fly a Cessna and a number of Pipers, in addition to holding a competition racing license. I've used and been around aviation fuel and race fuel for years and am not "parroting" anything. Aviation fuel does not belong in our cars, period, as there are better, LEGAL, alternatives that are widely available. And for the average Joe on here it should be completely avoided. If you want to "experiment" with this fuel in your C6ZR1 then have at it. I'll eagerly await the results and hope to see them soon.

Further, and I mean this with sincerity, you are welcome to come to Watkins Glen on September 28th - 30th and watch me race in my C6Z and maintain the car in race conditions. You are welcome to hang out in the pits, chat aviation fuel in street cars, go out on the track (I am also an instructor) and whatever else. My email is agnick5@yahoo.com and my name is Anthony. It's a generally good time. I've met many, many Corvette forum members at various tracks around the country and have made some good friends in the process.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:24 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Bullshit.
I work with high volumes of avgas and sees what it does to metals, but maybe it's just a conspiracy.

Get notified of new replies

To 100 low lead Avgas

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

just curious, what makes it corrosive and how do planes handle it?
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I work with high volumes of avgas and sees what it does to metals, but maybe it's just a conspiracy.
Fake news!
Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Not mentioned in the thread: Lead is a very bad idea in terms of the fuel injectors as well.

Mentioned a few times: much better way to increase the octane rating of your local premium fuel with NO LEAD.

Quick Reply: 100 low lead Avgas