Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Eggcrate v2 mamo build

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM
purespeed
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Eggcrate v2 mamo build

Hey, guys,

I would like to give some feedback on my second H/C build.. I know its always nice to hear some honest real world results/testing... I will make it as short and detailed as possible... First off, I'm sure your wondering what the title is all about... When I bought my first C6Z (06 car) in late 2012, I drove the car for a summer , then ofcourse, you always want more power even though these cars are pretty impressive in stock trim... So I began doing my homework like anyone would on wich direction I wanted to go with the car.. I decided I would stay N/A .. ( personal preference).. After months of research and countless emails, I decided to have Tony Mamo (mamomotorsports) set me up with a whole package.. It was a fairly mild setup for the 427.. Mamo ported/milled worked over stock castings (11:6 compression) , mamo ported fast 102, NW 102, 231/243 114 cam... The car already had american racing 1.875 headers(with cats), halltech and corsa... Car made 570 /531 after the H/C/I swap (on 93 pump) On my buddy's dynojet... The car ran absolutely awsome... Later on I swapped to a mamo ported MSD and retuned, made 585/540.. Backtracking for a minute here, where the whole " EGGCRATE " title comes from... I shipped my heads to Tony in Eggcrate boxes I had laying around that literally collapsed by the time he received the heads and he has busted my ***** every since😁.. Rightfully so.. LOL... The car really did run awesome!! But like always, you get use to the power... So, winter of 2017 I decided I was gonna add a little more cam timing for more top end and of course a little more power.. I reached out to my tuner to give him a heads up, then my second call was to Tony... Called him to discuss a cam swap and ended up redoing my whole setup!!! (Heads only had 4,000 or so miles on them) .. He said the only way to go was his new TFS 260 worked over castings... I did't really want to spend the cash on new heads but I new I was keeping the car, so I went for it... The ONLY things I changed from the previous setup, were heads/cam and flex-fuel to make max power with the added compression... Went up a few more degrees in cam timing , nothing crazy, still in the 230's on the intake lobe.. (237 to be exact) The heads are his new TFS castings ported/milled (low 12's compression ) ... Tony can give exact details on the heads... The car already had a stout baseline, but after the new swap, on the same dynojet, same tuner, the car on a decent blend of ethonal (60%) Made 635/565, wich is pretty impressive IMO.. It lost NO torque anywhere with the bigger cam, which I couldn't believe.. I was worried it would be a little soft on the bottom with the bigger cam, not the case whatsoever ...The car picked up power everywhere.. I just took the car on a little road trip, so I really got to see how the drivability and power compared to my last setup... I was worried about the bigger cam once again from a drivability aspect because I was use to how well the manners were with the previous setup.. I will never say the "car drives just like stock" because I wouldn't be being completely honest... But the car drives REALLY , REALLY well with a cam and setup that makes this type of power NA... It's actually quite impressive... And it sounds killer... I could drive this car everyday no problem and I'm pretty picky... A lot of this has to do with Tony's product/ workmanship and dedication to the hobby and the spot on tuning from my buddy Eric Johnson at Backstreet performance... HUGE thanks to the both of them.. The car would never be what it is today without there help.... It is an absolute blast to drive!!!!!!! We are actually going to swap out the American racing 1.875 with cats to a 2" american racing without cats and compare... I will repost when testing is complete.. I hope this helps with anyone looking to mod there Z, whichever route you choose.. I couldn't be happier with this setup!!!! F.Y.I... Below is the graph.. We made a couple more ponies, but my tuner left it here where the car liked it the best.. Max/safe power.. All numbers are in SAE correction factor, smoothing 5.

Joe

Old 09-19-2018, 07:41 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

That’s badass. Strong setup! Always loved Mamo products and craftsmanship. Thank you for posting up your results!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:04 AM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice! What clutch are you running? I’m really happy with my Mamo setup.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by heavychevy357
That’s badass. Strong setup! Always loved Mamo products and craftsmanship. Thank you for posting up your results!
Thanks, heavychheavychevy3. The car is a blast🤘
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RyanT
Nice! What clutch are you running? I’m really happy with my Mamo setup.
Thanks.. Its is the Mcloed RXT... It seems to hold the power nice so far.. I just installed Nitto DR because of traction issues, so we will see how it does! Are you running Tonys TFS heads?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM
RyanT
Racer

Originally Posted by purespeed
Thanks.. Its is the Mcloed RXT... It seems to hold the power nice so far.. I just installed Nitto DR because of traction issues, so we will see how it does! Are you running Tonys TFS heads?
Yep. I told him why I wanted out of the car and he sent me the parts I needed. I’m also running his lightened RPS BC2 clutch.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:03 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RyanT

Yep. I told him why I wanted out of the car and he sent me the parts I needed. I’m also running his lightened RPS BC2 clutch.
How do you like that clutch? I was debating that clutch when I bought mine.. Would you run it again?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

So to sum it up 50 hp and 25 ft pounds of tq going from Tony ported stock heads (which I am sure he did a good job on in the first place) to MMS265 and minor cam change with small bump in compression and E60 versus pump 93.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 AM
RyanT
Racer

How do you like that clutch? I was debating that clutch when I bought mine.. Would you run it again?
I love the clutch now. The engagement\disengagement window is pretty small compared to stock and the release point is at the top of the pedal travel. It was like learning to drive a manual all over again. I ended up putting a Lingenfelter clutch stop in it and it made all the difference. The pedal travel might not bother some but in stop and go traffic it was a pain. I think it also helps speed up shifts when you're rowing through the gears.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:46 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

That is the exact power increase I had from my mamo ported stock castings, and a little smaller cam.. What header are you running?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

Who did your install/Tuning?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

. I reached out to my tuner to give him a heads up, then my second call was to Tony... Called him to discuss a cam swap and ended up redoing my whole setup!!! (Heads only had 4,000 or so miles on them) .. He said the only way to go was his new TFS 260 worked over castings... I did't really want to spend the cash on new heads but I new I was keeping the car, so I went for it...
Got 'em.
The following 3 users liked this post by jayyyw:
Josh B. (09-19-2018), Millenium Z06 (11-03-2018), Turbo2L (11-03-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM
purespeed
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Got 'em.
Is that you Terry? How did everything turn out??
Old 09-19-2018, 12:20 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Great power sir from that size camshaft. Tony is the man!
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Got 'em.
Yup
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Hopefully it runs strong for you, good numbers. A buddy's Mamo car here in SC made 599 rwhp with ARH 2" headers and catless X. 23X/24X cam.

Last edited by Innovate; 09-19-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:37 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Great power sir from that size camshaft. Tony is the man!
Agreed!
Congrats OP Great Results.

Get notified of new replies

To Eggcrate v2 mamo build

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
purespeed
Intermediate

Thanks again guys. The car is very strong🤘
Old 09-21-2018, 11:03 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Thanks again guys. The car is very strong��
EGGCRATE!!

That nickname will just never get old.....four years later Im still amazed the heads weren't damaged in a way that made them un-repariable.

Joe.....its been a fun ride with you starting from our first mild yet powerful combo which at the time was certainly quite noteworthy (approaching 600 at the ground with a really small cam and utilizing OEM ported castings).

Im glad you decided to freshen things up with my (clean sheet design) much more efficient MMS 265 heads and naturally stepping into my MSD last year paid you even more dividends with out current build as a good manifold will always need a really good set of heads to fully utilize and unlock its potential.

I know neither one of us expected the results we got and while I was sand bagging a little bit on the phone when we discussed this project, I had a "maybe 625" number in my head but I never let on to you about that.....LOL

I know you just wanted to comfortably clear 600 with excellent drivability and a modest sized cam and we certainly did that.

I should mention Joe's combo was the 2nd highest NA car on this particular dyno and if Im not mistaken we missed the largest N/A number by a very small margin (Joe could potentially better clarify this).

In fact Im hoping the addition of the 2" headers might help get us there and Joe and I have spoken about some other "tweaks" we may try a few months down the road during the winter

Anyway....I wanted to chime in here quickly to congratulate Joe on the results....big power and really impressive torque output while retaining excellent street manners is bonus

I think it will clear 640 with the larger tube headers btw.....I will look forward to that update when it gets back on the rollers

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 09-21-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:40 PM
purespeed
Intermediate

Tony,

I am totally good with the "eggcrate" nickname... I dont think I have a choice, I earned it..😎... The whole journey/experience working with you so far has been great... This new setup has beyond exceeded my expectations and will keep me smiling for years to come.. I will put a few finishing touches on over the winter to get every last hp out of the setup!! As for the highest hp N/A car on the dyno, we now hold that spot.. The other car took some cam out to get better driving manners on the street... It dynoed at 625/532 to be exact... That is with high compression, big cam (mid-upper 240's on the intake lobe) bolt ons, fully built motor, tuned on race gas... That shows how well our setup is working.. 🤘 I will be in touch soon

Joe

Quick Reply: Eggcrate v2 mamo build