Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

427 Convertible Exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:27 PM
G6612
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 427 Convertible Exhaust options

I had a 2006 Z06 with a Corsa Sport exhaust and I loved the sound. I recently sold it and have moved to 2013 427 convertible. I love the car and how it drives but I am finding myself missing the sound of the Corsa. Now I have some trade offs as the wife never rode in the Z06 because she thought it was too loud. I now have her riding in the 427 due to the NPP. Doing some research it looks like my only option would be to go with the Billy Boats Fusion gen III as it offers the NPP option and from what I have heard on YouTube it sounds pretty good. Can anyone give me some real life experiences with this exhaust as to flaps open vs closed. Where is the best place to purchase $$ etc. Would this be my only option or anyway to get a little more sound from the stock exhaust. I would appreciate any recommendations or thoughts.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Macattack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The Akrapovic SS systems are available now, they utilize the NPP as well. Both B.B./Akrapovic are great, I looked at both ended up with Akras. I bought mine through Souther Car Parts, they have both available and run sales ads if you look around. Can’t go wrong with either, also check the parts for sale thread if you want save some coin on a used set. Good luck!
Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 PM
passagemaker43
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 198 Posts

I rode with a friend in his LS7 2 years ago to Corvettes at Carlisle while I was looking for my Z06. He has B & B's. At Carlisle you hear every sound system known to Corvettes. I was struck by the very special tone and the lack of drone when installed on a stock LS7. Within a week I had my 09 JSB Z and two weeks later the first change was, you guessed it, a B & B Fusion exhaust. Since then I have added an all out track Z (which the former owner added B & B's to) and recently a 2013 427 convertible. For me only B & B Fusion will do. I paid $1,700 for my set which I think is still a good price.

I listened to the Akrapovic system at Carlisle this year and it seems very well made. I suspect due to its materials it will be quite a bit more expensive than the B & B's and since I haven't owned them I can't speak to their sound comparison. What I heard wasn't as good but it was on a C7. The sound coming out of a 6.2 liter supercharged motor is not an apples to apples comparison to a high compression strong N/A 7 liter motor.

You can't go wrong with the Fusions.

Keith
The following users liked this post:
BBExhaust (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:50 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Love my fusions. Only very slightly louder than OE in closed position, but loud, deep, and mean muscle car sound when open. The OE muffler (I have an ‘09) in open position never sounded great to me...the fusions are music to my ears. My wife can’t stand them in the open position (lol), but closed when cruising on the highway is not an issue.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 09-20-2018 at 12:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BBExhaust (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Mild to Wild open all thr time ftw
Old 09-20-2018, 08:53 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Keep the stock mufflers, get a M2W, and get the Corsa x-pipe omitting the secondary set of cats. Do that before you do anything else with the exhaust. With a convertible, you really don't want to mess it up. With the money saved, get your heads fixed and consider a slightly more aggressive (buy more durable and valvetrain friendly) cam over the LS7 cam.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM
G6612
Instructor

​​​Actually the x-pipe would be a way I would like to go, but I live in PA and I believe it would fail the emissions visual inspections if I remove the cats. Anyone know a way around this if I would go this route? Appreciate any thoughts on this as this is all new to me. If I drive the car less than 5000 miles a year does this make me exempt?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by G6612
​​​Actually the x-pipe would be a way I would like to go, but I live in PA and I believe it would fail the emissions visual inspections if I remove the cats. Anyone know a way around this if I would go this route? Appreciate any thoughts on this as this is all new to me. If I drive the car less than 5000 miles a year does this make me exempt?
I can't answer any of the questions about your emissions testing. All that stuff is local, it's got nothing to do with PA state law. I used to live in Lycoming County and they did the gas cap check and called that an emissions test. Now I live in Clinton County and they don't have it.

At no point did anybody do a visual inspection that I know of. I've had long tubes on my car for years, they're supposedly not legal. Well, without the EGR stuff anyway. I would say just go to a smaller shop and get to know the people and I'm sure you won't have any trouble. And he's not saying to go without cats, just going without the rear 2. Though I kind of like them on my Cars.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by G6612
You'd still have the two main cats that honestly do most of the work, and would still be there for any visual inspection. The Corsa x-pipe just gets rid of the two aft-cats that GM added on the '12/'13 cars. For all intents and purposes, your car would look like any other '06-'11 LS7 equipped vehicle from an emissions standpoint....but worst case scenario, just swap the OE mid-pipe back in if you fail an inspection.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:34 PM
G6612
Instructor

BigVette427,
Could you please give a little more details on your statement that you don’t want to screw it up based on that it is a convertible. Issues adding an exhaust??
Old 09-21-2018, 04:33 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Keep the stock mufflers, get a M2W, and get the Corsa x-pipe omitting the secondary set of cats. Do that before you do anything else with the exhaust. With a convertible, you really don't want to mess it up. With the money saved, get your heads fixed and consider a slightly more aggressive (buy more durable and valvetrain friendly) cam over the LS7 cam.
Agreed

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Convertible Exhaust options

Quick Reply: 427 Convertible Exhaust options