Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] C6 Z06 Cam swap timing help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:06 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C6 Z06 Cam swap timing help?

Currently doing a cam swap on a c6 z06 and ill start of by saying I didn't remove the oil pump therefore I couldn't see the timing tick on the crankshaft. I just turned the crankshaft until the cam sprocket timing tick was pointing down at 6 o'clock. When I did that, the cam shaft pin that sticks out through the cam gear was located in the three o'clock position. My question is, if the tick on the cam sprocket was facing down at 6 o'clock, then the tick on the crankshaft can only be at the 12 o'clock position, right?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:49 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Not worth taking the risk, it can be off by a tooth and you won’t be able to tell. I’d loosen the pan then remove the pump to be safe. You’ve gone that far might aswell do it right.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by NemeZ
Not worth taking the risk, it can be off by a tooth and you won’t be able to tell. I’d loosen the pan then remove the pump to be safe. You’ve gone that far might aswell do it right.
so say i take the pump off and the tick seems to be slightly off but ive already taken the cam sprocket out and changed the cam, how do I fix the timing?
Old 09-24-2018, 08:31 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HM6
so say i take the pump off and the tick seems to be slightly off but ive already taken the cam sprocket out and changed the cam, how do I fix the timing?
Verify #1 piston is at TDC then line up the dots when you install the camshaft.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:44 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Verify #1 piston is at TDC then line up the dots when you install the camshaft.
If I don't have the heads off, how would I verify piston 1 at TDC? Would putting in a long screwdriver into the sparkplug hole and turning the crank until the screwdriver doesnt move inward anymore?
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

If I don't have the heads off, how would I verify piston 1 at TDC? Would putting in a long screwdriver into the sparkplug hole and turning the crank until the screwdriver doesnt move inward anymore?
Long screwdriver. Turn until the screwdriver stops pushing outward of the plug hole.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Long screwdriver. Turn until the screwdriver stops pushing outward of the plug hole.
Got it, will do that for sure. Any tips on removing the oil pump without ruining the oil pan gasket?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:09 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Got it, will do that for sure. Any tips on removing the oil pump without ruining the oil pan gasket?
Loosen all the pan bolts slightly, and slowly wiggle the pump off. I had to even push the pan down a bit with a screw driver.
The following users liked this post:
Z0HM6 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

i just did this last weekend and didnt have any issues getting the pump off and then back on. its just important that you get the gears in the oil pump in the correct location before sliding it back on. that is what makes a world of diff IMO.
the cam retainer torqx bolts are what fought me till then END lol
1 out of the 4 came out no problem....the other 3 had to be drilled out and it was a horrible experience. took 5 hrs to get to he retainer plate, and entire day to get the the cam out after running around getting bolt extractors and prepping the front to ensure that no metal shavings get inside the oil pan/engine.

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 09-24-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~
i just did this last weekend and didnt have any issues getting the pump off and then back on. its just important that you get the gears in the oil pump in the correct location before sliding it back on. that is what makes a world of diff IMO.
the cam retainer torqx bolts are what fought me till then END lol
1 out of the 4 came out no problem....the other 3 had to be drilled out and it was a horrible experience. took 5 hrs to get to he retainer plate, and entire day to get the the cam out after running around getting bolt extractors and prepping the front to ensure that no metal shavings get inside the oil pan/engine.
Wow sorry that happened to you, mine came out easily thank god. My dilema was not taking the pump off therefore not seeing the tick on the crankshaft so I just decided wing it and go with the cam sprocket tick
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Originally Posted by NemeZ

Loosen all the pan bolts slightly, and slowly wiggle the pump off. I had to even push the pan down a bit with a screw driver.
This shouldn't ruin any kind of seal or gasket on the oil pan right, do I even need to take the oil pump off completely to see the tick on the crankshaft?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

if you remove it enough to see the timing mark, you may as well go all the way out.
i just posted the pic of my stuff, you can see exactly where the timing mark is on the crank snout
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

if you remove it enough to see the timing mark, you may as well go all the way out.
i just posted the pic of my stuff, you can see exactly where the timing mark is on the crank snout
Mind linking me? Went through your posts but cant find it lol
Old 09-24-2018, 10:56 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...st-got-me.html
The following users liked this post:
Z0HM6 (09-24-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 10:31 AM
Z0HM6
Instructor

So I undid the oil pan bolts to barely pull out the pump. Didn't ruin the gasket, got the timing aligned, now when i've gone to tighten down the oil pan there is oil seeping from somewhere and collecting where the oilpan and bell housing meet. Any ideas? I've only torqued down the two rear oil pan bolts and the rest are hand tight. timing cover is still off.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:41 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

that sucks, all that work to avoid ripping a gasket to avoid a leak.....and you just traded a front timing cover leak for a rear pan gasket leak LOL
i swear, sometimes these cars are just here to test us......maybe spray a little parts cleaner on a micro fiber, reach in there and wipe the oil clean and squeeze a TAD of gasket maker across the back of the oil pan/gasket and tighted it up.
maybe it will work, worth a shot anyhow
Old 09-26-2018, 12:20 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

that sucks, all that work to avoid ripping a gasket to avoid a leak.....and you just traded a front timing cover leak for a rear pan gasket leak LOL
i swear, sometimes these cars are just here to test us......maybe spray a little parts cleaner on a micro fiber, reach in there and wipe the oil clean and squeeze a TAD of gasket maker across the back of the oil pan/gasket and tighted it up.
maybe it will work, worth a shot anyhow
dude i swear to god LOL its testing my patience right now. I mean we BARELY pried on the pan to pull the oil pump out and we didn't even pull it out all the way.. just to see the stupid tick. I mean i haven torqued anything down besides the two rear oil pan bolts so maybe there's a chance? but then again it was worth it cause i rather do a new gasket than a new engine for not checking the timing

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 Cam swap timing help?

Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

VERY true......it is a pretty big deal when you get the timing wrong...(ask me how i know) we set one 180 deg out one time (long story, 2am, beer was involved LOL), and when the engine turned over it snapped every valve. BUT all the crap aside, a very nice engine was built after that LOL

keep us posted on it, maybe snap and post a pic when you have time
Old 09-26-2018, 01:24 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

VERY true......it is a pretty big deal when you get the timing wrong...(ask me how i know) we set one 180 deg out one time (long story, 2am, beer was involved LOL), and when the engine turned over it snapped every valve. BUT all the crap aside, a very nice engine was built after that LOL

keep us posted on it, maybe snap and post a pic when you have time
dude beer and timing don’t go together LOL I would of cried. Here are some pics.

When I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and let it sit

Several hours later after cleaning
Old 09-26-2018, 01:27 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

so is the car running and off the jack stands now?
could it be excess that was sitting in the bell housing and after it was taken off jack stands/moved the oil is running fwd out of that little area??

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 Z06 Cam swap timing help?