Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

*** C6 Z06 N/A New personal best ***

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 08:07 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Default *** C6 Z06 N/A New personal best ***

Hi, like the title said, I'll create this post for those who have an interest in my personal quest with my car.
Like some already know, I purchased this car back in 2008 brand new and started my learning curve to first drive it well and secondly to modifying it.

I always want to know where the already mighty LS7 engine could go. The engineer have done great on this engine. The C6 Z06 platform are also spectacular.
Some of you already know that 2017 was a tough year. After being screwed BIG time by Livernois shop and all sort of troubles here and there I lost my 2017 drag racing season (same for my friends James.)

So after trying alot on papers to improve from my previous best 9.352 I finally made it.

Theire is alot involved to improve the car at this level with a N/A engine still 427 with almost all of the factory parts.

I would like to start this threads to thanks everyone involved in this quest. Specially friends and family who are involved. You know who you are and how important you are. THX

* Kohle from American Heritage for the work on my LS7 heads. You have done it perfect as I like !!! Thank you

* Jason at Katech for the Spintron testing. Awsome help when we do custom cam. Thank you also for phone help and it's always a pleasure to discuss with you. Very professional shop, Best I ever deal with.

* Nick at American Racing headers for the new headers combo. This is the man, he know what he are speaking of !!! Thank you

*And finally, the most important of this story I would like to thanks Howard At Arfab from Darton Est for the PERFECT LS7 block preparation with Darton sleeve. Thx Sir, you are the man and you have great skill.

The block where sleeved for a primary reason if some of you asking for it. Between the tear down who started back in july 2017 and the first try of rebuilt in December 2017, some DEX COOL stay betwen rings and some sleeve where pitted badly. So I have to took decision. Buy a new block, Bore the block ( and move on fast list category) or install better sleeve in my block. I made the choice.

After all the tear down and inspection overall the old engine parts looked good. I'll keep the rebuilt simple, stay with those great factory parts that fit well for what I'm doing with them.

That mean: Stock LS7 pistons with ceramic coating (Done by myself), Stock LS7 Ti rods, Stock LS7 crank, (Brand new: Stock LS7 rods bearing, Stock LS7 rods bolts, ARP main stud, and Stock LS7 rings pack)

The entire car get on a diet of 100 pounds vs 2016 too.
The Hoosier 335-35-17 tires are a bit harder to push on top, but they stick as hell.
I made a total of 8 passes on the new package and trying to figure out what the new setup want.
I'm still on progress to dial it. Espescially on 60' I need to play a bit on tires pressure, clutch release motion and launch RPM.
I'm a bit rusty and getting older every year !!! loll But I always enjoy pushing the car .
My best bet of this package are capable of low 9.1x with better well dialed 60' and maybe 9.09x with the help of Mother nature negative DA.

The Hoosier 335-35-17 are a bit too much tires, but I have to try to learn them. The car loose 150-200 RPM up top and this new engine combo breath way better up top than the previous.

I'm shy of a couple Hp from the 700 RWHP Dynojet dream of. 698.0 RWHP to be exact at 6750 RPM.
The car weight 2725 pounds dry no fuel in it.
Primary fuel are 91 or 94 on the street and VP for racing day

Thx for watching,

Those kids are my biggest fan ever.

BTW my wife hate me big time using the house oven for curing the ceramic coating ..... But as you see. she not killed me !!! lolll

Seb
Link to videos:

Link to Fastlist:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598040159

Last edited by Sébast19X; 09-24-2018 at 08:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Al_Scrap (09-28-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:02 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Being serious, would coating the pistons still qualify for fastest SBE? You are the record holder regardless but the coating is not stock.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Originally Posted by Innovate
Being serious, would coating the pistons still qualify for fastest SBE? You are the record holder regardless but the coating is not stock.
I never claim SBE who mean stock bottom end engine. The rules for the category submitted are internal engine mods + bolts ons with STOCK LS7 factory cubic inches.

The Fast List has five sub-lists.

Bone-Stock on Stock Tires. This means completely stock with no performance changes whatsoever; must have one of the three stock tires defined in Rule Change (Oct 15 2010) below, stock exhaust, stock airpath, stock “untuned” and ""never-tuned" computer (ECU/PCM), etc. See Posts #469 and #1020 for some elaboration.

Bone-Stock, except Non-Stock Tires including drag radials. Otherwise, the same requirement as above. See Post #1020 for some elaboration.

Bolt-Ons without Internal Engine Modification (e.g. modified air-path, headers, PCM-tune, aftermarket clutch, non-stock rear gears, skinny front tires)

Internal Engine Mods plus Bolt-Ons (e.g. stock displacement 427 with bolt-ons plus heads and/or cam)

Power Adders (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger) and Non-Stock Displacement
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Ah ok, I thought something else then. Congrats regardless!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sébast19X
I never claim SBE who mean stock bottom end engine. The rules for the category submitted are internal engine mods + bolts ons with STOCK LS7 factory cubic inches.

The Fast List has five sub-lists.

Bone-Stock on Stock Tires. This means completely stock with no performance changes whatsoever; must have one of the three stock tires defined in Rule Change (Oct 15 2010) below, stock exhaust, stock airpath, stock “untuned” and ""never-tuned" computer (ECU/PCM), etc. See Posts #469 and #1020 for some elaboration.

Bone-Stock, except Non-Stock Tires including drag radials. Otherwise, the same requirement as above. See Post #1020 for some elaboration.

Bolt-Ons without Internal Engine Modification (e.g. modified air-path, headers, PCM-tune, aftermarket clutch, non-stock rear gears, skinny front tires)

Internal Engine Mods plus Bolt-Ons (e.g. stock displacement 427 with bolt-ons plus heads and/or cam)

Power Adders (Nitrous, Turbo, Supercharger) and Non-Stock Displacement
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Really was amazing to see. The constant growth from 9.8x to 9.2x was nothing but mind blowing and I'm really lucky to be a part of. Congrats Seb and keep on pushing
​​​​​​

I agree, there's people on the fastlist with aftermarket pistons yet still stock displacement and are within the rules. Seb never claimed to be the fastest SBE LS7. You can still have turbos with a SBE and be in that "youtube/Internet" category.*

Last edited by rpmextra; 09-24-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Sébast19X (09-24-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by rpmextra
​​​​​​
​​​​​​

I agree, there's people on the fastlist with aftermarket pistons yet still stock displacement and are within the rules. Seb never claimed to be the fastest SBE LS7. You can still have turbos with a SBE and be in that "youtube/Internet" category.*
I was thinking NA SBE.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
I was thinking NA SBE.
Right I see what you mean. But that's not what he claimed. It's Damn close being stock pistons crank and rods and even rings & bearings but you are correct. Not completely SBE. It's got stock displacement, even oem cast heads. It's definitely making more power with a lot less than most. Even faster than that big 502 guy who ran 9.28 or Something with his crazy build. (wish I had his pocket change lol)
Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Congrat's Seb. I gotta say, as a road course guy I am not easily impressed with drag racing but this is impressive stuff. There is something truly raw and carnal about a 427ci LS7 equipped C6Z roaring down a drag strip, busting heads and taking names. I also admire your dedication and passion. And clearly you are a highly skilled driver that has honed both his craft and his machine with precision. Brilliant work and thanks for sharing.
Sébast19X (09-24-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

That is awesome! Congrats!

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:07 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Very impressive with big MPH too. The attention to detail is great and how you were able to get that type of power out NA is amazing. Each part must be carefully thought out to get to that number. Also the 300 pounds out of the car is amazing too.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:23 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

I know you keep your work pretty tight knit but would you care to share what you did to get the car down to that weight?

Looks like your MPH is down from your previous best. Those 1/8th mile times are very impressive.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:31 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Congratulations!!!
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 AM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow....just Wow!!!

Seb, congratulations! I can only imagine the amount of time and effort to get to this level...
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:02 AM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats Seb! Very impressive.
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:20 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Congratulations, great job..... thanks for posting so we can also enjoy your accomplishments.
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 11:13 AM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I know you keep your work pretty tight knit but would you care to share what you did to get the car down to that weight?

Looks like your MPH is down from your previous best. Those 1/8th mile times are very impressive.
Yup you are right. the mph is down a bit. As per debriefing and datas analyzing, I have 2% less power than 2016 from the DA itself and the Hoosier 335 are a bit too much of a tires vs the 315. They are better off for the 60' but they rob mph up top. I need to experience a bit with them with tires pressure and clutch release motion. It's the only 8 runs I have done trying to dial the new combo this year. The 335 always dead hook on all of my passes. So the car always bug down to 2600 to 2800. That hurt the 60' and the 330'. The BC2 is not forgiving. So I cannot slip it to get the desired effect on launch. The tire pressure will be my ticket to find the right amount of tires spin, between hook and run instead of dead hook.

As for weight reduction, it's just a matters to select the right parts to start with as like most of drag racer here have. Nothing tricky. The T56 are a bit lighter than the TR6060 to start with, tires, wheels, brakes, sway bar, suspensions, passenger seat, axle back delete, battery, Z07 hoods, and Katech rear lids ( for look and for weight saving to match the Z07 hoods)

Thx for great comment,

Seb
Old 09-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Congrat's Seb. I gotta say, as a road course guy I am not easily impressed with drag racing but this is impressive stuff. There is something truly raw and carnal about a 427ci LS7 equipped C6Z roaring down a drag strip, busting heads and taking names. I also admire your dedication and passion. And clearly you are a highly skilled driver that has honed both his craft and his machine with precision. Brilliant work and thanks for sharing.
Thank you Sir for thoses great comments. Very appreciate !!!

Seb

Get notified of new replies

To *** C6 Z06 N/A New personal best ***

Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Sébast19X
Yup you are right. the mph is down a bit. As per debriefing and datas analyzing, I have 2% less power than 2016 from the DA itself and the Hoosier 335 are a bit too much of a tires vs the 315. They are better off for the 60' but they rob mph up top. I need to experience a bit with them with tires pressure and clutch release motion. It's the only 8 runs I have done trying to dial the new combo this year. The 335 always dead hook on all of my passes. So the car always bug down to 2600 to 2800. That hurt the 60' and the 330'. The BC2 is not forgiving. So I cannot slip it to get the desired effect on launch. The tire pressure will be my ticket to find the right amount of tires spin, between hook and run instead of dead hook.

As for weight reduction, it's just a matters to select the right parts to start with as like most of drag racer here have. Nothing tricky. The T56 are a bit lighter than the TR6060 to start with, tires, wheels, brakes, sway bar, suspensions, passenger seat, axle back delete, battery, Z07 hoods, and Katech rear lids ( for look and for weight saving to match the Z07 hoods)

Thx for great comment,

Seb
That's my fault, the tire change totally slipped my mind. Can definitely effect things.

The Z07 hood looks great. Other than the Katech decklid and (likely) a polycarbonate window, I have roughly the same weight loss modifications. Give or take of course. Haven't weighed my car but I estimate it to be around 2950 with a half tank.*
Old 09-25-2018, 12:40 PM
RobGOV-DCZ
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 89 Posts

Seb i just wanted to comment and say that it's been a pleasure getting to know you over the last year. Your knowledge about the C6 Z06/LS7 platform is second to none and I sincerely appreciate the help you have given me to make my car go that much faster. Your tune alone helped my car pick up mph and driveability, not to mention the wealth of knowledge you have graciously shared to extract the most potential from my setup. I will owe both you and James (RPMEXTRA) all the credit when i am finally able to run a 9 sec pass in my car.

As a huge fan and friend Congrats sir!
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:48 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Congrats. BTW, I'm impressed that with only 8 passes in nearly 2 years, that you managed to take a new build and get almost identical 60' times.
Oh yeah, cute kids too.
Sébast19X (09-25-2018)

Quick Reply: *** C6 Z06 N/A New personal best ***