Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06
Reload this Page >

Heat soak starter Froggy's fix and consolidate all starter videos

Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Heat soak starter Froggy's fix and consolidate all starter videos

Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM
froggy47
CF Senior Member

Received 137 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Heat soak starter Froggy's fix and consolidate all starter videos

Hi,

I'm going to briefly explain, copy links to all the videos & hope this helps you all & new members.

Light bulb went off last Saturday when I instructed in a 16 Camaro SS (v8) and the EXACT symptoms developed between runs. Cold engine starts perfect, hot starts slow crank with difficult to no start. This is NOT a 427 motor/starter problem alone. Calling it a "heat soak" starter is a misleading partly correct description.

What it is for those who want to jump right to the end, is the two large studs off the solenoid are copper alloy. Copper expands/contracts more than most other metals (google it - coefficient of expansion - metals). Cats run up to 1500 deg. f. The proximity and lack of heat shielding of the cat & studs causes them to lengthen/shorten each heat cycle. Over time the stud grows a mm or so longer such that WHEN HOT the torque on the nut holding the two ring connectors (alt & batt) is very low same with the other stud and connection between solenoid and starter. (mine on both when I finally dismantled was "hand tight"). So even cold, hand tight was enough torque contact to pass enough current to start her up, but hot it was only enough torque contact to slowly turn the starter & maybe or maybe not it would start. Loose electrical connections are not a good thing.

So the fix in my case could have been as simple as tighten the two nuts and add shields to the cat and starter, I ended up with a new starter but the old one is perfect. Having said all that, your problem may also be/include bad battery, bad cable to the fuse box or box to solenoid, bad/melted bits of the solenoid, or maybe other I have overlooked.

For all of you that had dealers or independents do the work and replace starters for $500 & up, of course the problem was fixed. The mechanic either never noticed the loose nuts or did and wanted to make more $$ on the job so replaced the perfectly good starter, think that never happens? Hah.

Here are all the videos in one place, like I said, hope this helps, that's why I go to the trouble of videos, it's a lot faster to just fix my cars and not "share" but I like to help.

To all the great guys who had various suggestions, THANK YOU, I need all those to puzzle things out and do a process of elimination.

One video near the end I titled it fixed, but I had only found one of the two loose nuts, so it was not 100% fixed. Also, for lack of a better solution to the lengthening of the studs, I added two plain high quality lock washers which (I hope) will expand a bit and keep the torque on the connection. Also the shields should help minimize the issue, thanks to DEI.

Be safe, have fun, Froggy out. Post questions if I can help any more. Took me about a month start to finish to puzzle this out. I have other stuff to do, and the car was cold starting ok, and I have another couple of vehicles, so I took my time. Oh, there was one night time flatbed tow involved, lucky not on the freeway.

Most of the videos have a preview thumbnail picture, but at the end it's just a link, so don't know why, me or the forum software, Anyway work thru it. Thanks. Well the links "turned into" thumbnails so the forum software is doing it. It's just slow. Anyway should be all there. Final test passed, this problem is solved. Be sure to watch the final short video.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-30-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: final hot start test, delete dup link
The following 3 users liked this post by froggy47:
2k Cobra (10-30-2018), BigVette427 (10-29-2018), gimp (03-18-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Heat soak starter Froggy's fix and consolidate all starter videos

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: