Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7

Old 10-30-2018, 08:53 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts

I'm sure it goes without saying, another shop must install the replacement engine, don't want a shop that blew up an engine installing the new one
The following users liked this post:
Aggiecatcher (11-14-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:31 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

SO why is it that these motors die so fast vs a normal LS... I mean I put dry filters in on all my LS stuff and fill and fire them up.....

SO why do they burn up instantly? if the tank has oil in it, then the pil pump should be pumpin in 2-3 seconds?
Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by colanut
I would make sure it is a GM crate motor. NEW not one from Auto Zone. If it were mine. Bummer it happened.
Aren't all LS7 crate motors from GM? Didn't know Auto Zone was in the engine building business.
The following users liked this post:
SivaSuryaKshatriya (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:53 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Why don't these valve cover caps or cap decal insert warning labels come standard with all your heads packages? For one, new owners would know they have AHP heads and two, they wouldn't make the mistake at trying to remove and fill it. I can't tell you how many people here on the forum ask how to tell if their heads have been addressed, this cap would be a good indication and advertising for you. How to I get one?
Old 10-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
Why don't these valve cover caps or cap decal insert warning labels come standard with all your heads packages? For one, new owners would know they have AHP heads and two, they wouldn't make the mistake at trying to remove and fill it. I can't tell you how many people here on the forum ask how to tell if their heads have been addressed, this cap would be a good indication and advertising for you. How to I get one?
I was wondering the exact same thing. I would love to get one for my AHP heads.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
I just don't get stories like these. It's simple - if you't can't or choose not to change your own oil, for the love of god, make sure you understand the procedure EXACTLY and watch the person doing it like a hawk! No excuses for this.

(I do feel terrible for OP, but I can tell you if I didn't change my own oil I would NEVER take my eyes off the person doing it so in order to make sure it is done correctly.)
Frankly, I've had higher end cars in my time, and I've never changed the oil in any of them. When I had my 911, the window at the dealership into their service area wouldn't have done anything. I expect its going to be done right, and my engine will not be blown.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:14 PM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

UGH...what a bummer of a situation. I think it is great that the shop is taking responsibility for it. That certainly was an expensive mistake!
Originally Posted by American Heritage
In fact we put these on ever engine we do just to avoid that in the instance the car goes to a quick change shop or Dealer, etc...
That's a great idea! Do you sell the sticker separately? I'd like to put one on my non-oil cap...just in case.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggiecatcher
First of all, I'm not a gear-head. Over the years, I stopped changing my own oil in my cars, and I have no way to change my Z06 at home anyway (I wouldn't even try). I found a local oil change place run by a guy who was a former lead mechanic at our local Chevy dealer, and has all kinds of certifications from Chevy/Detroit to work on Corvettes. He's been my go to guy for the first 1.5 years I've had my 2006 Z06. About 1,000 miles ago, I had the dealer replace some engine seals, and the car was in perfect condition (other than the air conditioning unit that needs to be replaced at some point). The car was running perfect, and I love that car.

So, I get an oil change warning yesterday, and had some time, so I went by to my guy. He wanted to do it himself, so we waited extra-long, had some lunch, and then came back. He still wasn't done. He then called me back into the shop two hours later. I figured he was going to tell me he found this or that wrong, but instead he tells me, "I screwed up, and siezed the motor." So, at this point, they are getting me a crate LS7 and having the dealer install it. Do I need to worry about the same old issues if they give me a crate motor? Anything I need to worry about in the swap out?
Very sorry this happen to you. It is common at these quick lube places. Most guys there have no clue what there doing. (i would never, not even my daily driver) That being said at least they are going to cover the motor for you from GM. As long as its a chevy dealer that deals with corvettes you should be fine. Maybe you can work something out with the dealer to get the heads addressed before they install the motor. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Aggiecatcher
Frankly, I've had higher end cars in my time, and I've never changed the oil in any of them. When I had my 911, the window at the dealership into their service area wouldn't have done anything. I expect its going to be done right, and my engine will not be blown.
I don't disagree if you had your car at a dealership and it was under warranty. Is that the case here? Doesn't sound like it. I'm gathering that you took it to some side shop with a guy you trusted and thought knew what he was doing, and he screwed up royally. Good on him to make this right, but that's rare. You got awfully lucky if he's truly going to follow through with a new engine. And I would *never* take it to that idiot again.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Even highly competent 'senior' techs can make a mistake.
The rate at which we make them is hopefully much lower than average, but we are still human...
We still haven't heard what the mistake was. Overfilled? No oil in it? Easy mistake to make when you get distracted by the phone, or you get a sudden parade of customers through the door.
Joy ride/dropped valve? That would suck for him, might have happened to you on the next drive!
The fact that he copped to it and is stepping up to make it right speaks volumes.
That is one f*ckin' hard phone call to make.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:03 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Engine should be fine. It will come with a warranty. It was used in the '14 Camaro Z/28. GM wouldn't risk using an engine that they would have to repair under warranty. If inclined to get the work done, wait for the warranty to expire.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:55 PM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Sounds like dude shouldn’t be working on vehicles.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Aggiecatcher
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
I don't disagree if you had your car at a dealership and it was under warranty. Is that the case here? Doesn't sound like it. I'm gathering that you took it to some side shop with a guy you trusted and thought knew what he was doing, and he screwed up royally. Good on him to make this right, but that's rare. You got awfully lucky if he's truly going to follow through with a new engine. And I would *never* take it to that idiot again.
From what it sounds like, he completely ignored the dry sump, and filled it through the valve cover. They towed my car to the dealership, and are breaking it down as we speak to see what the final word is, but he hasn't make it right yet. Fingers crossed. I spoke to him again today, so far, he seems like he's handling his mistake. Yeah, I went to this guy because he used to be the lead Corvette mechanic locally. He went in with this other guy on his own. I'm a small businessman, and I support small business whenever I can. I actually feel bad for the guy.

Heading to the dealership now to make sure this is done right.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:05 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

the fact they admitted it and are replacing it says all I need to know about the guy....let them handle it...you don't find many stand up people these days
Old 10-30-2018, 05:26 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Sucks he blew it up, but props to him for owning up to it.

My previous Z06 had a brand new motor installed in it after the old one had bearing issues and failed. I noticed that there were some loose lines hanging from the bottom of the car after I got it that I had to ziptie out of the way.

It also started having some electrical issues about 2 to 3 weeks after the engine was replaced; you can see the issues in more detail if you look at the threads I posted on this site.

On the flip side, that brand new motor pulled hard, harder than the 9 year old, 6.7k mile one in my current Z06. Plus, it had a warranty, so I was flogging it around the track with no worries and doing pulls everywhere - I don't do that now with my current one, lol.

Last edited by SivaSuryaKshatriya; 10-30-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:53 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by JDebler
UGH...what a bummer of a situation. I think it is great that the shop is taking responsibility for it. That certainly was an expensive mistake!

That's a great idea! Do you sell the sticker separately? I'd like to put one on my non-oil cap...just in case.
Yes sir we do.
The stickers for the "not an oil cap" are $9 shipped anywhere in the USA. They will for sure stop anyone who is paying attention from breaking and removing that cap.

We will have them on our website soon but in the mean time if anyone wants one you can send a paypal "gift" of $9 to HP@americanheritageperformance.com

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/

Last edited by American Heritage; 10-30-2018 at 05:54 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by American Heritage:
DPW_ (10-30-2018), Frankie15 (10-30-2018), Mikey Morris (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by itomh
Originally Posted by JDebler

PM AHP. I just did. He sells them. Ordering one now.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7

Old 10-30-2018, 05:54 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
Engine should be fine. It will come with a warranty. It was used in the '14 Camaro Z/28. GM wouldn't risk using an engine that they would have to repair under warranty. If inclined to get the work done, wait for the warranty to expire.
lol
Old 10-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

There is an old expression - *The only people that don't make mistakes are the people that do anything". Yes, it's horrible that it happened to a Vette rather than say a Kia, and if it were my car - I'd be both pissed off and very concerned about the replacement.

The fact that the shop owner is standing up and taking responsibility is truly great. I expect that he is going through his insurance - but you just know hat is going to cost him big time...

The easiest way to hurt the motor (oil system related) is to run it without oil - the next is to grossly overfill the engine - and then when the motor starts the oil has no place to go - and the reciprocating assembly tries to move the oil and stops dead, typically bending / breaking parts.

You might want to meet the lead mechanic that will be doing the swap and maybe even offer to buy him dinner after the swap - just to show him you appreciate his efforts....

The good news is that the car should be as good as new - but with a different number engine - it may lose some value,,,
Old 10-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

These engines are not numbered. No one would know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change Place Blew up my LS7