Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Any Previous Nissan GTR R35 Owners?

Old 11-24-2018, 04:49 PM
DasOmen
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly don't know much about maintenance cost of GT-Rs, but have a lot of friends with GT-Rs and have driven a lot of them from 600whp, 700whp, 800whp, and 1200whp.

I daily drive a 550/530tq '10 Z06 now and will be getting a Viper or GT-R next. The 600whp / 700whp GT-R I drove a bit I can see me getting bored with eventually. The 1200whp one was just a insane, rocket ship, definitely over the top and not a daily driver. 800whp seemed perfect for the GT-R, still made you pucker and have fun.

Cost wise, my friend daily drove his 800whp / 1200whp, the 800whp he put 16k miles on and had ZERO issues, this is with drag racing it, and running the 1/2 mile. The 1200whp one didn't have any issues as well but didn't have long enough to tell.

I am 5'10 175 lbs, the GTR backseat is tight, but also liveable and still able to fit adults back there and children. Another buddy regularly had his children and wife in there while on the way to events.

GTR interior as shitty as it still is compared to others, is still nicer than the Z06 or ZR1.

Through driving them and hearing what my friends had to say, I will be getting a GTR. Maintenance might be higher but smiles per gallon were very high and it is a lot better of a daily driver.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyvette
getting a four door sports car for the wife to be happy is like asking her to buy some high heels you could wear too.
Good one.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Snake Bite52
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 604whp heads/cam built motor C6z06, have a bolt on 600whp 2015 GTR now and am looking to trade it for a c6zr1 now.

From a roll, a healthy bolt on e85 GTR is pretty comparable to a h/c/i Z06. Ive beat bolt on GTR's in my Z06 as well as gotten beaten by some. My GTR has beat up on some h/c/i Z06's as well as gotten beat. Its kind of a wash off a roll, from a dig the GTR will always be the more consistent car especially on the street. My Z06 trapped 137 spinning while the GTR was a 133-high 134's.

The GTR as other owners in here have said is an incredible car, for under $100k I cant think of a single car that does everything as well as a GTR.
In the year ive owned mine I put 20k miles on it. Ran 10.3 @ 134 mph at the strip on 20 inch r888r's driving there and back, did two road course days, done many road trips including a 24 hour driving round trip and roll raced it a bunch with other cars/friends. The gtr does it all fairly well and is a solid daily driver as well. I have $6k at most invested in bolt ons/tuning software, so that performance comes fairly cheap in the grand scheme of things.

However, the GTR is just an expensive car to take to the next level power wise and also on road course. Trans fluid changes are blown out of proportion, Motul fluid for the trans/diffs was around $280 and I did it myself. Thats once every 16k miles or so on the safe side. My trans has held up pretty stout and with the clutch capacities turned up I have no issues with trans slip and shifts. I think those issues are also blown out of proportion and a stock rebuild isnt all that expensive. Indeed though for power levels over 900whp, its recommended to go with a billet gearset and then we are talking $16k+ for a Shep 1k trans. Thats big money right there, motor builds are in range of what any quality lsx build would be and stock crank/block can be used to pretty big power levels. The brakes are a different story, they are BIG money to replace. Stock rotors will indeed crack, mine started at 15k miles and became bad after the first road course outing. Pads were toast after 20k miles. A light upgrade to something like Alcon rotors will run you around $2k and pads all vary on cost. For an Alcon J hook rotor/Carbotech pad package i was looking at $2300 with a good discount. The cars do understeer for sure so youll have to drive it different than a rwd car like a corvette although its not horrible, just a different approach to corner entry. They rockship from apex to exit. Personally though, I wanted to go the route of coil overs for adjustability and those are a big cost item in itself.

My biggest problem with the GTR is its just not satisfying to drive anymore. Theres not much feeling of accomplishment driving. The car feels like its doing all the work and youre just there to make sure it stays on track. I miss that sense of fear and respect pushing my Z06. The gtr is by no means boring and it can destroy a backroad, there is a lack of fear and strong sense of confidence. After a while though it becomes kind of a numb experience. The Zr1 is much cheaper to mod and maintain while still being a decent car to drive everyday in 3 seasons. You honestly cant go wrong whether you go with a GTR or a Zr1, the GTR was a great experience and i would love to add another one in the future next to the Zr1.
The following users liked this post:
drivejumpfly (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:17 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

^^ Agreed
Ive owned several Z's to include a Lingenfelter 660 and a supercharged one, as well as a stock C6ZR1. I now own a 2015 GT-R (stock) and a GT3 (as shown). Very different the GT-R is from the Vettes and I think I agree with all that has mentioned they've owned one. They all have their pro's and cons. The 1 thing that the GT-R gives you (esp on the street), is your capability off the line. Set her up and GO....traction is a non issue. AWD/DCT and 2 turbos doing the pushing is super hard to compete with out of the hole. I have not yet tracked the GT-R but I know I prefer my 17 ZO6/ZO7 for the track. The GT-R is def a lot heavier than a C6Z, but as mentioned is not driver dependent,,,this brings up the issue of what kind of driver you are....you will not get that fulfillment if you want to play a major part in your cars performance from the GT-R, as mentioned, these Z's are driver dependent and many of us gearheads find this rewarding. Either way there is no wrong with these cars, just personal preference and needs. As a side note, Im more of a fan of my C6Z's than my C7Z
C6ZR1 is just an awesome car out of the box....not much to explain about other than its the next best up from the C6Z
Old 11-29-2018, 12:40 AM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the additional information everyone.

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
...As a side note, Im more of a fan of my C6Z's than my C7Z
C6ZR1 is just an awesome car out of the box....not much to explain about other than its the next best up from the C6Z
I am trying to clarify. Are you more a fan of the C6 ZR1 vs the C7Z06/Z07 or a C6 Z06 vs the C7Z06/Z07?
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM
polyol
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty cool thread to read, lots of level headed comments. Well done corvetteforum.
Interstellar (09-16-2022)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:47 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by polyol
Pretty cool thread to read, lots of level headed comments. Well done corvetteforum.
i know! I was expecting this to turn into a bashing thread but everyone has been well behaved and very honest! Well done everyone.

Althoigjnwe have gone and messed it up now! It’ll turn into a dog fight now.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:01 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
Thanks for the additional information everyone.

I am trying to clarify. Are you more a fan of the C6 ZR1 vs the C7Z06/Z07 or a C6 Z06 vs the C7Z06/Z07?
Not totally sure what you mean with the "vs", but Ill state where I stand

the C6Z was monumental and just a raw sports car which made an awesome street/track car esp being NA which I believe most of us prefer for the track
when I owned the C6ZR1 I also owned a Viper TA which I preferred for the track due to it being NA, however preferred the ZR for the street (def prefer FI for the street-bigger fun factor)
C6ZR1 - abundance of power right out of the box and I def prefer the LS9 over the LT5
C6ZR1 vs C6Z-really depends on what you want, could be either or / overall its hard to argue the C6ZR1 is the overall better car between the 2
C7Z/ZO7 - better chassis for sure than both (which you can def feel) and way more advance as far as tech and things like that - as for power, I never like the way the power fell off and if you like the more raw feeling, forget it with this car

Don't really think I have an overall preference but Ill say this
strictly street - C6ZR1 or GT-R (right now my pref is the GT-R)
strictly track - C6Z (w/ heads n cam fix) (or a C5Z)
street and track - prob the C6Z again
drivejumpfly (11-29-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:25 AM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

I know it is a pain to pull the engine/transmission from a C5 in a garage without a lift. Is it any easier to pull it from a C6? Or any of you that had a CTS-V - any easier than the Vette?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:34 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

A C5 is the same as a C6. A C6 takes slightly longer because of the OEM transmission cooler lines. C7 is the worst of them all.

A CTS-V takes less effort and time to remove any clutch or diff related component.

Sometimes I think to myself "I wish I bought the lesser car so working on it would be easier"
Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 PM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

I am still kicking ideas around. The release of the 2020 Supra is not helping my decision to stick to a four seater two door. I have also have started looking at four seaters that have sorted out LS swap kits available.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
I am still kicking ideas around. The release of the 2020 Supra is not helping my decision to stick to a four seater two door. I have also have started looking at four seaters that have sorted out LS swap kits available.
Supra looks like something out of a failed design students notebook.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:51 AM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Supra looks like something out of a failed design students notebook.
But it's got 320hp, bruh.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:13 PM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

I disagree. I like the looks but do not like the engine. Waiting for the first LS swap into it and then it will be fun car.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:59 PM
drivejumpfly
Instructor

Time sure does fly. I am adding a 2017 Camaro ZL1, non-LE, to the list. I have been reading quite a bit about them and they seem like a bargain for the money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Previous Nissan GTR R35 Owners?