Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 to C7 track differences?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default C6 to C7 track differences?

Sooo... in a few months I’ll wrap up the motor mods. Lighter 2 piece rotors, clutch/flywheel, battery, c6 ZR1 aero package are all in order to follow during the summer.

But, on a track, what makes the C7 so much better? I hear technology makes the c7 better in some posts? but with proper toe-heel, rev-matching, trail braking, entry and exit positioning, and a smart driver to pass safely in turns, what does technology have to do with this? When I hear technology I think electronics. Maybe others are talking the removal of leaf springs? Just an example

Technology isn’t the primary focus here. I’m really asking, what mods past what I’ve listed in the first paragraph will put the c6 z06 ahead of the c7 z06 on the track. Let’s assume the c6 z06 and c7 z06 have both have a naturally aspirated ls7 with the exact same horsepower to weight ratio, and exact same gear box... to level the playing field down to handling mods... lastly, let’s say the same experienced racer were in both with the ability to push the limits of both cars to their max.

I’m only asking so I can start planning my winter 2019/spring 2020 mods now, it’s easier to budget this way. This is a genuine help me thread lol... not a ****** measuring thread, which according to my wife I’m sure to lose... please... haha

Last edited by VelocityC6z; 11-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

Technology is the difference, take that away and you have 2 big Miatas.
The following users liked this post:
Thatguygb (04-05-2021)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:10 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by c5racr1
Technology is the difference, take that away and you have 2 big Miatas.
Could you please expand on that? Technology as in weight distribution, materials used in bushings, stock camber, removal of leaf springs, wheel offset, like... what is this technology you’re speaking of.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:28 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by VelocityC6z
Sooo... in a few months I’ll wrap up the motor mods. Lighter 2 piece rotors, clutch/flywheel, battery, c6 ZR1 aero package are all in order to follow during the summer.

But, on a track, what makes the C7 so much better? I hear technology makes the c7 better in some posts? but with proper toe-heel, rev-matching, trail braking, entry and exit positioning, and a smart driver to pass safely in turns, what does technology have to do with this? When I hear technology I think electronics. Maybe others are talking the removal of leaf springs? Just an example

Technology isn’t the primary focus here. I’m really asking, what mods past what I’ve listed in the first paragraph will put the c6 z06 ahead of the c7 z06 on the track. Let’s assume the c6 z06 and c7 z06 have both have a naturally aspirated ls7 with the exact same horsepower to weight ratio, and exact same gear box... to level the playing field down to handling mods... lastly, let’s say the same experienced racer were in both with the ability to push the limits of both cars to their max.

I’m only asking so I can start planning my winter 2019/spring 2020 mods now, it’s easier to budget this way. This is a genuine help me thread lol... not a ****** measuring thread, which according to my wife I’m sure to lose... please... haha
Low end torque from that supercharger. We pull all the mag ride and such out to run coilovers so the only technology advantage I can think of is the C7 having would be a minimally invasive TC setting. With the right suspension, aero and weight reduction a C6Z can still give a C7Z a run for it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:30 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

eLSD is pretty snazzy in the C7.
Dane@LGmotorsports (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM
c5racr1
Melting Slicks

Received 462 Likes on 331 Posts

I have a c6z and a c7 GS. In stock form the GS is a much easier car to drive at the same lap times. This is due to the mag shocks and stiffer chassis i would guess.
Once you start modding that would probably change. In your post you wanted to put both cars on the same footing which is impossible because they are sooo different. Just from a setup standpoint.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Low end torque from that supercharger. We pull all the mag ride and such out to run coilovers so the only technology advantage I can think of is the C7 having would be a minimally invasive TC setting. With the right suspension, aero and weight reduction a C6Z can still give a C7Z a run for it.
Dane,

Thank you. I have been looking at nearly every physical aspect of the z06, and I’m having a hard time finding the c7z being marginally advanced to the c6z in a real world equivalent scenario.

It’s hard to get guys to read and understand my “too long didn’t read” post.

Weight in the c6, vs. stability in the c7? It’s easier I think to get stability and a flat stance on the track in the c6, than losing 600 pounds in the c7z
Old 11-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 638 Likes on 400 Posts

Dane,

Thank you. I have been looking at nearly every physical aspect of the z06, and I’m having a hard time finding the c7z being marginally advanced to the c6z in a real world equivalent scenario.

It’s hard to get guys to read and understand my “too long didn’t read” post.

Weight in the c6, vs. stability in the c7? It’s easier I think to get stability and a flat stance on the track in the c6, than losing 600 pounds in the c7z
The difference stock to stock is probably quite a bit. Modded to modded a C7Z will be an animal out of the corner and down the straight but the C6Z will benefit under braking and in cornering being lighter weight. Need to get rid of that model t leaf spring set up though, G2 Coilovers & LG G1 Sways to start, LG Monoballs, Camber Kit second, Drop Spindles and F/R Bump Steer third or all at once but most of my customers upgrade in phases. Feel free to give us a call 972-429-1963.

Thanks!

Dane
WoodinvilleDan (08-31-2023)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:25 PM
VelocityC6z
Instructor

Well this gives me a lot of confidence. I’ve been looking a lot at what really makes the c7 such a better car on the track, and when you eliminate the suspension elements of the c6z, and put everything on the same equally upgraded platform as the c7z, I see the same car... minus the c6 weighing less and having a n/a motor not as concerned with heat soak.

The c7 ZR1’s has come a long way to overcome the heat issues, but I feel like an all motor c6z with 650 to the wheels would make a better long term track car than the c7 supercharged in any platform. The c6z with the right platform is going to be over 3500 rpm in any given straight exiting a corner.

Until you start to mod the c7z or zr1 you’re working with a less advanantageos car... likely due to weight. The c6z just needs to be built corrrct.

i’ll contsct you to discuss this further.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

My wife and I AutoX a modded C 6Z (CamS), (we are NOT National level drivers) in our Region a stock 2016 C 7Z dominates all classes, he says it's the Mag ride not him ???? he is a really good driver !!!!
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 PM
Vestor
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The first mod I made to my Z was to upgrade the gas pedal to allow for much easier heel-toe shifting. The gas pedal on the car is really an embarrassment. It must have come from the Cobalt along with the steering wheel. There are plenty of aftermarket pedal kits for the car.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:41 PM
grcor
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

But, on a track, what makes the C7 so much better?
Really? Think again! In the Optima Ultimate Street Car events the C7 Z06's are not even competitive. The fastest Corvette's are C5 Z06's and C6 Z06's. What good is a C7 Z06 if it over heats or slows on additional laps. A person cannot test/gauge/improve their driving ability with a car that does not provide consistent performance. This is why the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 are truly great track cars.

In addition to what other people have recommended I would add Auto-Blip.
Eli-Z06 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-09-2018, 08:54 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by grcor
Really? Think again! In the Optima Ultimate Street Car events the C7 Z06's are not even competitive. The fastest Corvette's are C5 Z06's and C6 Z06's. What good is a C7 Z06 if it over heats or slows on additional laps. A person cannot test/gauge/improve their driving ability with a car that does not provide consistent performance. This is why the C5 Z06 and C6 Z06 are truly great track cars.

I was really really hoping the Z06 would of been naturally aspirated..

Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by grcor

WELL !!! those guys do have a TON of money in their C 5's and C 6's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2018, 06:19 PM
tommyc6z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 695 Likes on 443 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vestor
The first mod I made to my Z was to upgrade the gas pedal to allow for much easier heel-toe shifting. The gas pedal on the car is really an embarrassment. It must have come from the Cobalt along with the steering wheel. There are plenty of aftermarket pedal kits for the car.
DITTO!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 to C7 track differences?

Quick Reply: C6 to C7 track differences?