Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Add another one to the dropped valve list.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:21 PM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Sure...there can be more than one way to grenade an LS7; but my take aways... Its a "one owner" 2007. I can only surmise this as being a bone stock car, but OP please correct me if I'm wrong here. I see in the first photo the cylinder head is missing the exhaust valve head. Its somewhat of an understanding that earlier model years had a higher propensity to snap an exhaust valve. Around May of 2008, GM had a part number change for the C6Z exhaust valve, due to a change in suppliers. Many of us feel the change in suppliers was due to QC issues with the previous supplier's manufacturing. I'd have to dig a bit more for the exact numbers, but the newer OEM exhaust valve had thicker (more consistent) walls...bumping up to something like a wall thickness of .041"

Early ('06-'08) valve inconsistencies in wall thickness, as well as variances in the amount of sodium fill were discovered:

These inconsistencies in wall thickness, coupled with the non-concentric guide to seat machining courtesy of Linimar would over time lead to stressing the valve in a manner such as this...

Exhaust valve discoloration (different from others) due to inadequately amounts of sodium fill:

There's a ton of old/archival information here that can be sifted through, but at the end of the day...I personally feel this was a good old fashioned exhaust valve failure.

Again OP, if your boss's car is highly modified, tuned, etc., the cause of the failure may be different than I described. Crap tunes by inexperienced "tooners" usually result in a lean condition that will more often than not crack the "#7 cylinder liner". Do you know which cylinder failed on the car?
Car is bone stock. It dropped #1 exhaust valve.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 AM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry to see this happen. Relieved I got mine done last month.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:50 AM
hy_bmw_freak
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

which valves are often broken from the LS7 Engines on the intake or exhaust side !?

and which Years of construction is the most affected ???
Also my previours owner (He is an instructor) drives witch stock heads and H/C/I on the Track with no issues abour 40k Miles.
The car is from 2006

I think titanium valves are great for racing but with little wear or abrasion they break fast
Think steel valves are a bit sturdier with a reasonable installation.

And there are always problems with titanium valves and bronze manganese guides

If I'm wrong, please correct me

Last edited by hy_bmw_freak; 11-14-2018 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Add another one to the dropped valve list.