Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

My C6Z build thread

Old 12-22-2018, 02:44 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

This car doesn't have any major issues, just normal wear and tear items that need to be replaced. Once the clutch/slave cylinder failed, the time was right to make other things how I wanted them. You'll have to make the decision for yourself, but I'm not the typical Vette owner. I like to drive the car and do all my own work. I came from mustangs and am very familiar with turning wrenches. I'm not afraid of buying a modified Corvette or fixing one, and with the pricing nearly the same, I prefer buying with mods.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:30 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Cars are mechanical and will always wear out and require maintenance. The heads should likely be fixed but that's the only major item I've come across that, imo, must be fixed ASAP. The risk of taking out the engine is far too high.

As for my project, the fuel pump is swapped out and installed last night. I hit a major roadblock with the o rings on the crossover tube. There are 2 o rings and 1 hard plastic ferrel that seat inside the female driver tank. When I disassembled the tube from the tank, the o rings fell out and I wasn't able to see where they were placed, which made it impossible to reassemble. 2 of the o rings are seated all the into the tank and the hard plastic ferrel had to be tapped all the way back against the o rings. Once this was set, it made assembling the crossover tube much easier.

I also ran the racetronix harness up to the alternator and all the way back to the tank. All that remains is to finish up the install and stow of the harness at the pump side.

Last edited by STL Mike; 01-12-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:30 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Innovate View Post
Your window rolling up only halfway happened to me, you need a new window regulator. The cables go bad in them. Nice color choice by the way! I also need your lift lol, life with a Z would be so much easier.
Yikes.. I sure hope you searched on the forum about re-indexing before deciding the regulator was bad..

To the OP, at those miles, I too would very likely replace the rubber couplers, regardless of the visual condition. And replacing the plastic by-pass valve with the billet one from Sac City is a good idea as well.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-25-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:32 AM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Question for everyone...Is the master cylinder typically changed on a clutch job like this? If so, Tick or OEM or?

Edit: I've never experienced the pedal falling to the floor with this car, but also only drove 500 miles home with no drag racing. Thinking the best bet is to get the car back together and see how it drives.

Last edited by STL Mike; 12-30-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Can always change it later.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:06 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Well, I peeled the onion back and may have found the smoking gun. Installed new axle seals yesterday and just prior to putting the drivetrain away I installed the shifter and clutch disc on the input shaft just to spin the trans and dif while in each gear.

1,2,3,5,6 and reverse are bound up and will not turn. Spoke with Rick at RKT (excellent customer service!) and he believes something on the counter shaft is broken or is bonding. The trans needs to come apart either way. Considering doing the job myself as I did it before on my last 2 Cobras. Stay tuned, I'll likely have it opened up within the next few days to take a look inside. As Rick mentioned, it could be a blessing in disguise as the trans didn't make a peep on the 500 Mile drive home. I'm hoping the inside isn't grenaded, fingers crossed.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:36 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

So, an update. I split the trans from the diff, took the front and rear cover off and inspected the inside. Good news is I didn't see any broken teeth or parts inside. The fluid looked good and there was nothing stuck to the magnets. The bad news is I spoke to a local 6060 builder and he questioned whether the car was ever dollied or trans output shaft spun independent of the input shaft. His theory is that the pocket bearing that the input shaft rides on is only lubricated with splash oil and and because the input shaft and output shaft are seized together in neutral, he believes this bearing is locked up. The bearing sound I heard when the car jumped into geargcould have been this bearingb not a throw out bearing as I originally thought. I dropped it off for disassembly and inspection, and we'll talk about upgrades when we figure out what's broken. Should be finished within 2 weeks.

In the mean time, I installed an Elite Engineering catch can, new hood struts, exterior door handles, polished the Corsa and ordered an MGW shorter.

The Following User Says Thank You to STL Mike For This Useful Post:
Landru (01-05-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:15 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

The trans has been disassembled. Unfortunately, the trans was improperly serviced or simply run low on fluid. When it was opened you could immediately smell the burnt fluid. The entire trans inside, gearsets and shafts are blued from overheating. The entire trans is trash. Bummer.

So now I'm looking for a TR6060. Any help with a builder or complete running trans?
Old 02-03-2019, 09:21 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

So, an update is in order. I found a low mileage 6060 off the forum and had it shipped to my local trans guy. He was able to get it apart and look things over and texted pics and called me. Apparently this trans from a 2011 Z with 7k , and 4 track days on it, needs about 900 in parts, final number being calculated. He says it needs 2nd gear, Blockers and hub, 3rd gear, blockers and 3/4 hub and input shaft and blockers and the damage comes from rev matching probably at the HPDE.

I've contacted the seller who seems like a stand-up guy, I'm sure we'll get something worked out, but I'm so frustrated with this car.

Last edited by STL Mike; 02-03-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Landru (02-10-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 11:28 PM
zrc3john
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by STL Mike View Post
So, an update is in order. I found a low mileage 6060 off the forum and had it shipped to my local trans guy. He was able to get it apart and look things over and texted pics and called me. Apparently this trans from a 2011 Z with 7k , and 4 track days on it, needs about 900 in parts, final number being calculated. He says it needs 2nd gear, Blockers and hub, 3rd gear, blockers and 3/4 hub and input shaft and blockers and the damage comes from rev matching probably at the HPDE.

I've contacted the seller who seems like a stand-up guy, I'm sure we'll get something worked out, but I'm so frustrated with this car.
Don't blame you...I would find the car that sold it to you and run him over with it....Probably a patriots fan anyway...
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 PM
meanjoe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 02-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Apocolipse
CF Senior Member

Damage from rev matching? What?

Maybe from NOT rev matching...
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocolipse For This Useful Post:
CDNZ (02-04-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Trans parts are shipped and should all be here by Wednesday. The trans should be built and back here by the weekend.

Does anyone have a service manual with all the drivetrain torque settings that I'll need for reinstalling the bellhousing, torque tube, trans to dif, cradle, etc?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:30 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by zrc3john View Post
Don't blame you...I would find the car that sold it to you and run him over with it....Probably a patriots fan anyway...
Lol just saw this when I reread it
Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Landru
CF Senior Member

...but I'm so frustrated with this car.
Hang-in there Mike, slowly project's inching toward completion and perfection.
Question isn't if your patience holds-out, it's your wallet.

When you first posted re this project it seemed understood it'd be trying whatwith your experience being primarily w/ Fords..
Once this trans business is straightened out w/ a freshened LS7, it'll pay gobs of dividends.
Plus, you'll be a self taught expert in everything C6 Z06 & its LS7.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

It's progress, and I'll be happy when I get it moving forward.

Yesterday night I took the cradle, leaf spring and sway bar to the car wash and power washed it. Today I'll grease suspension and remove and reinstall driver door panel. When it shuts, it looked like the panel shakes a bit up by the A pillar when the door shuts. Hoping it just needs to be reinstalled properly instead of some hack job or new problem to fix. Fingers crossed.
Landru (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Took the door panel off, it's missing 1 pin. Go figure. I'll swing by parts department at at dealership tomorrow. I'd like to have a conversation with the people who worked on this car, we'd be moving some furniture around.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member

Took the door panel off, it's missing 1 pin. Go figure. I'll swing by parts department at at dealership tomorrow. I'd like to have a conversation with the people who worked on this car, we'd be moving some furniture around.
Buy 4 or 5 pins, you'll probably break one or two getting the panel off.

And I know you found issues with the trans, but note that the older slaves (e.g. made through 2013) have a design flaw and they can and will fail internally (mine failed without warning on a 2011 at 26k miles).

GM actually issued a TSB and extended warranty related to the issue. The newer OEM's have a solid black reservoir vs. the older clear ones.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-13-2019 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Mordeth
CF Senior Member

2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man View Post
And I know you found issues with the trans, but note that the older slaves (e.g. made through 2013) have a design flaw and they can and will fail internally (mine failed without warning on a 2011 at 26k miles).

GM actually issued a TSB and extended warranty related to the issue. The newer OEM's have a solid black reservoir vs. the older clear ones.
That would be the master cylinder, not the slave, which is an internal part and not accessible without significant disassembly. Master cylinder replacement is a trivially easy job, and not required to bring to any dealer, regardless of TSB. Enjoy the "quick-disconnect" fitting though, which nothing is "quick" about it.

Old master:

What happens:

New, redesigned master:

Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 AM
STL Mike
CF Senior Member

Wonder if there is a way to get the replacement master cylinder from Chevrolet without having the car running to demonstrate the deficient master?

Any thoughts? I'd like to replace mine now, if possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My C6Z build thread

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: