Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo Motorsports LS7 Track Results (Video included)

Old 12-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

Default Mamo Motorsports LS7 Track Results (Video included)

Guys,

Seems its been awhile since I have posted on here which I apologize for. I have just been extremely busy of late but Im excited to share one of my customers recent track results with a complete Mamo Motorsports LS7 package I set up for him back in 2016. While it runs extremely good, it's not over the top in aggressiveness with a 245 / 259 camshaft in the mix....in fact with my high speed efficient port design helping to reduce reversion, the drivability is actually quite good with this combination.

For those who have taken the time to follow the results of my LS7 builds over the last couple of years, one of the common threads among all of them has been their ability to set some new benchmarks on 3rd party independent dynos all across the country (this combo being one of them laying down 654 RWHP on this particular east coast dyno it rolled on).

While that scenario in itself should carry alot of weight (especially being repeated over and over as often as it has), alot of folks want more validation in the form of track results (and I totally get that).

The problem with that however is a good percentage of the people I help may never see the track or perhaps only visit the track occasionally (so they aren't very likely to leave with a competitive time slip), which leaves the much smaller percentage who might actually have the opportunity to see the track more often and (hopefully) get better with practice and trying different techniques in an effort to improve their results. In fact alot of track time and practice is paramount to build the skills and experience required to be a proficient drag racer, not to mention have access to a decent track that has the luxury of lower Density Altitude (better air quality) if we have any hopes of seeing a sexy time slip when its all said and done (the best driver in the world isn't going to lay down a big number at 5000 feet of elevation). The point Im trying to make here is that there is alot to take into account when it comes to a good looking time slip (much more than the average enthusiast realizes), and having alot of horsepower takes a huge backseat to all the other variables at play when it comes to track performance.

You need the right tires, good launch technique, good shift technique etc. etc. and while I'm not trying to make excuses, what I am trying to convey is that track results are probably the worst measuring stick when it comes to actually comparing engine performance....the dyno is a far better tool for that because for one thing it eliminates elevation changes and air quality with its corrected numbers. Logic would dictate that a C6Z that lays down the highest corrected number on a particular dyno has the most potential to lay down a big number at the track when ALL the other aspects of getting a good number are in place (experience, skill, tires, track prep, low density altitude, etc.).

I preface my post with all this information to provide better insight to the folks who don't have alot of real world track experience and potentially don't understand the countless variables that must be right to put a good pass together. The dyno eliminates all these variables to a great extent (if we are looking purely at power and torque output) correcting the results from different days at different altitudes so that we can better compare engine performance but that's not a perfect world either as you have discrepancies from one dyno to the next in terms of numbers and that's why comparisons on the same dyno carry so much more weight.

OK....lets move on to the real reason I took the time to post this thread. I helped this customer in 2016 with one of my complete LS7 packages (HR camshaft btw) and slowly but surely he has been working through some of the variables and teething pains I previously mentioned regarding track results, slowly improving and whittling his times down (good track results take practice and more practice) and while we both feel there is a good bit more in this combo without changing a thing (simply improving the launch technique some for a better 60 foot and shifting a little quicker), I think his current results are quite impressive and the video quality of both the in car and out of car do a good job of capturing the exhilarating performance....you really get a good feel of just how quickly this car scoots down the 1320!! (Also note how reasonably smooth the idle quality is also....this is not a huge Stg IV cam).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJg6_EhsSsc&feature=youtu.be

I should also mention on the very same day the car trapped over 142.4 MPH but he spun a bit so his ET was not as good. With some additional practice, a lower 60 foot, and some slightly quicker shifts this car should easily go 9.70's (possibly 9.60's) at 144 ish MPH assuming he has the opportunity to run in similar or better air quality with decent track prep.

Hope you guys enjoyed this video as much as I did (Im that much more motivated to finally mod my own C6Z in 2019!). I would like to thank Chad the owner (and driver) of this car for allowing me to post and share his results with all of you (some of my customers are very secretive about their track and dyno results) and I am looking forward to further improvements in Chad's results with more seat time and experience getting this power to the ground. Faster shifts will provide the additional MPH in trap speed but the ET is all about the first 60 feet.....that's where there still lies a good deal of opportunity in the current combination.

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 12-04-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Well there it is!! Damn he’s moving. What’s his tire combo?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
Well there it is!! Damn he’s moving. What’s his tire combo?
I'm pretty sure the rear tire is a Hoosier 315 drag radial....I know its under 26" in total height.

One of the ways we discussed improving the 60 foot times is moving to a taller tire for a longer contact patch, possibly even a bias ply but I would try a taller DR first to get the better trap speed and control at the big end a radial usually provides.

Im not sure what he's running on the front tires.....if I find out I will report back with that information

Regards,
Tony
Old 12-05-2018, 07:19 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts

that thing squats and goes off like it was fired from a cannon!

can you provide any more details about the engine work? ie how the heads were worked, valve types, etc?

amazing work my man! I've always day dreamed about one of your setups..... alas, I need a new roof for my house... will likely be getting simply a new set of "fixed heads" in the next couple years

keep up the excellent work! 😃
Old 12-05-2018, 07:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice job that car is making some oats
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice build and good driving!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:01 AM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 162 Posts

This car also has 3.90 gears I believe
Old 12-05-2018, 08:00 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
I'm pretty sure the rear tire is a Hoosier 315 drag radial....I know its under 26" in total height.

One of the ways we discussed improving the 60 foot times is moving to a taller tire for a longer contact patch, possibly even a bias ply but I would try a taller DR first to get the better trap speed and control at the big end a radial usually provides.

Im not sure what he's running on the front tires.....if I find out I will report back with that information

Regards,
Tony
thanks Tony
Old 12-06-2018, 12:06 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Over 140 is rolling. Nice work Tony!!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:14 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Jayfabs

thanks Tony
Yep....no sweat

To the few guys that chimed in just wanted to say thanks.....Im excited to have finally found a bit of a platform to showcase some of the true "track potential" of the LS7 combinations I have been helping folks with over the last couple of years.

This car is still only scratching the surface and Im confident Chad will put it deeper in the 9's with more seat time and practice. The largest potential gains lie in the 60 foot times, shift speed, and additional weight reduction

Most of the cars in the C6Z06 "Fast List" are lighter (some by a large margin) and the 4th through 9th positions are tightly grouped from a 9.80 (4th) to his 10th position 9.91 ET shown in the video linked in this thread but most of these cars have quicker 60 foot times (some in the 1.20's) and a lower race weight.

Had the opportunity to speak with Chad earlier and while his goal has always been to just a 9 second time slip in essentially full street trim, he is now more excited to push it further and will invest in some weight reduction mods and further experimentation with getting the car to leave the line a little harder which IMO is the task that takes the most practice. Coupled with good track prep and some oxygen dense cool "Northeast" air, that's all this car needs to easily be running in the 9.70's

Btw, here is a pic of the 142 MPH pass with a slower 60 foot hampering the ET some....I suspect he was shifting a bit faster on this pass hence the better trap speed

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 12-06-2018 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:47 AM
ls404fd
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

The internet I think has given people a false sense of how easy it is to see record setting times at a drag strip. In reality there are really only a handful of people capable of doing stuff like this in the entire country and it just isn't something you see every day anywhere other than youtube.

I also think forced induction has made people numb. 140mph is "slow" when everyone has a 60 mph back half in their $10,000 ebay turbo build.

140 mph is an absolutely huge accomplishment in a manually shifted street car NA. I hope to join that club with the 427 I'm building, as well as 200 mph in the mile. Does he have any aspirations to run the half or full mile with this thing? I'd be really interested to see what it does.

Congrats to you and your customer!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM
REVZ06
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work Tony! You are the man. Glad to have you in my corner for my build.

Robert
Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ls404fd
The internet I think has given people a false sense of how easy it is to see record setting times at a drag strip. In reality there are really only a handful of people capable of doing stuff like this in the entire country and it just isn't something you see every day anywhere other than youtube.

I also think forced induction has made people numb. 140mph is "slow" when everyone has a 60 mph back half in their $10,000 ebay turbo build.

140 mph is an absolutely huge accomplishment in a manually shifted street car NA. I hope to join that club with the 427 I'm building, as well as 200 mph in the mile. Does he have any aspirations to run the half or full mile with this thing? I'd be really interested to see what it does.

I thought this was an excellent post and I single it out because I had written something very similar in the initial draft of the post I started the thread with but decided to delete it prior to posting in an effort to shorten the content some.

Over the years I have seen so many folks who visit the track infrequently completely discouraged with their results not understanding all the dynamics of what's involved in actually achieving that low time slip (some immediately pointing fingers and blaming parts....LOL)

Anyway....insightful post and I couldn't agree more. Only the guys that really spend time at the track really grasp whats involved in finally putting together that sexy time slip.

While making solid power is always going to be helpful, it plays a much smaller role than most people realize. In fact a drag racer with experience and 50 less HP will easily leave the track with a lower ET than a guy with more power and very little track experience

-Tony
The following users liked this post:
ls404fd (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 05:03 PM
Che70velle
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Good stuff as always Tony!

Last edited by Che70velle; 12-07-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:37 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
This car also has 3.90 gears I believe
Pretty important piece of the puzzle to leave out if that's true. Lol.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Pretty important piece of the puzzle to leave out if that's true. Lol.
This thread is not (and was never meant to be) a laundry list of every detail of my customer's build.

The main thing a rear gear swap (or a trans swap with a lower first gear) accomplishes is typically an improvement in the 60 foot times assuming enough traction is available (and naturally that translating into a slightly lower ET) but whats ironic is that is the part of Chad's time slip that I feel still offers a good deal of the potential improvement moving forward (coupled with faster shifts). I did confirm that Chad's car has a 3.90 gear set but I assure you that's not the "magic bullet" required to get a car in the nines (one small piece of the puzzle perhaps) and Chad still hasn't fully exploited the potential of that gear swap which will ultimately get him an even lower 60 foot time with more practice.

Speaking of that (practice), to get a better appreciation of this accomplishment, its taken Chad two years and approximately twenty track events to get his car into the nines....and with more seat time I'm sure he will continue to improve from here (I would count on it).

-Tony

PS....A seasoned and very experienced drag racer with a set of stock gears could have gotten an even lower 60 foot time and had more RWHP on tap (with the OEM gearing) to run down the track with. Lower gearing actually reduces drive line efficiency and will always put less power to the ground than the same combo with taller gears. Gearing is just another cog in the wheel (pun intended) and like most things performance related has it's pro's and con's

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 12-09-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
This thread is not (and was never meant to be) a laundry list of every detail of my customer's build.
Maybe not, but it's a pretty significant modification to leave out.

A gear swap can affect 60ft times, yes, but it will also change the numbers down the track. A gear swap can gain 2-3mph very easily, all else being the same. This is why its important to know the whole laundry list.

Get notified of new replies

To Mamo Motorsports LS7 Track Results (Video included)

Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Even though I'm not that into it, I am amazed at how good these cars can be at drag racing. I think that Chad put together a very respectable run, and it does take a LOT of practice and effort to put down a good time. The car is a ticket to the show, but after that, it's the driver.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Maybe not, but it's a pretty significant modification to leave out.

A gear swap can affect 60ft times, yes, but it will also change the numbers down the track. A gear swap can gain 2-3mph very easily, all else being the same. This is why its important to know the whole laundry list.
Absolutely and 100% correct.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM
zaquhree
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ls404fd

Very true

Congrats on the mutual success op

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mamo Motorsports LS7 Track Results (Video included)