Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

New clutch very noisy

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 11:25 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Default New clutch very noisy

My new clutch, a Monster LT-1 is very noisy, sounds like it is growling. I think there is not any pre-load on the throw out bearing causing the noise. At a stop if the clutch pedal is pushed in, in gear or not, it is very quiet. At a stop, out of gear, clutch pedal out it is very loud. I have never been one to just keep the clutch pedal pushed in at stop lights. Not because of the effort but because of wear on the throw out bearing. I am curious though how much or often I can sit at lights with the clutch pedal engaged how long that bearing will last? Also where and how much do you shim the throw out bearing to quiet it down but not have any slip? I have seen some people had a spacer between the crankshaft and flywheel and I wonder if that is what it was for. My clutch did not have that spacer. My factory clutch did have a slight growl before but it is much worse now.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:41 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

Did you measure before installing the clutch? There’s plenty of write ups on here on how to do it. I wouldn’t space it unless your measurements were off.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:36 AM
Scott Tenold
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
My new clutch, a Monster LT-1 is very noisy, sounds like it is growling. I think there is not any pre-load on the throw out bearing causing the noise. At a stop if the clutch pedal is pushed in, in gear or not, it is very quiet. At a stop, out of gear, clutch pedal out it is very loud. I have never been one to just keep the clutch pedal pushed in at stop lights. Not because of the effort but because of wear on the throw out bearing. I am curious though how much or often I can sit at lights with the clutch pedal engaged how long that bearing will last? Also where and how much do you shim the throw out bearing to quiet it down but not have any slip? I have seen some people had a spacer between the crankshaft and flywheel and I wonder if that is what it was for. My clutch did not have that spacer. My factory clutch did have a slight growl before but it is much worse now.
I was asking a lot of people about clutches on this forum and most said go with this clutch. Said it was the stock LT1 clutch with custom flywheel that fit our cars. I looked on monster website and said that it had noise when in neutral. I have been looking also into the stock LS9 upgraded clutch. Or just back to stock LS7. Very mild upgraded street car for me. Sorry to hear that it’s noisy!!
Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NemeZ
Did you measure before installing the clutch? There’s plenty of write ups on here on how to do it. I wouldn’t space it unless your measurements were off.
Nope. Can you help me out please with this said link as I dont recall seeing them.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:36 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Old 12-08-2018, 06:08 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Step 1: stop listening to the people above.
Step 2: Get used to the noise because this is absolutely normal for every single Twin Disk clutch available for the C5, C6, or C7. If someone says it's not normal, its because they're ignorant.

Source: I've tried all of them.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:30 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Originally Posted by freddyvette
Step 2: Get used to the noise because this is absolutely normal for every single Twin Disk clutch available for the C5, C6, or C7. If someone says it's not normal, its because they're ignorant.

He shouldn’t listen to you, if the measurements are off his clutch can wear prematurely. Please don’t give people bad advice.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:40 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

how do you find the time to try all these clutches?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:11 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
how do you find the time to try all these clutches?
by having two corvettes and a bunch of friends with corvettes, installing said clutches on aforementioned corvettes
Old 12-08-2018, 09:17 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NemeZ

He shouldn’t listen to you, if the measurements are off his clutch can wear prematurely. Please don’t give people bad advice.
Oh I wouldn't dream of giving people bad advice, especially since you're so good at it, must be your specialty.

Measuring the clutch travel is already part of the installation instructions for all the clutches I've put in (3 Mcleods, 2 Mantics, 1 monster, 1 Dyad, and 1 SPEC, if you're curious, all twins).

What you're missing is that the rattle noise he's talking about isn't coming from the clutch plate, it's coming from the transmission input shaft.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:57 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

What should the bearing clearance be? If it is coming from transmission input shaft, it does sound like its coming from there outside of car. What can be done for that? I did also replace the torque tube bearings an rubber couplers.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:25 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

What should the bearing clearance be? If it is coming from transmission input shaft, it does sound like its coming from there outside of car. What can be done for that? I did also replace the torque tube bearings an rubber couplers.
like I said, its inherent to multi disk clutches. If you think through the process, there's only one place the noise can be coming from: the input shaft and transmission.

When your foot is off the clutch, the clutch is solid - one piece. There's no noise it can be making. The torque tube shaft is spinning the transmission in neutral with a completely different harmonic.

The throw out bearing measurement is to make sure you're not overextending or preloading your slave cylinder. If there is no "dead zone" with no pedal pressure, you're not too far away from the forks. And if you were preloading the slave, you wouldn't be getting the rattle in a can sound, because there would be force against the pressure plate if it wasn't making noise (just like what you're doing by putting your clutch pedal down at stop lights)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

can you post a video please so we can all at least see and listen to the noise......thanks throw out bearings are also noisy
Old 12-09-2018, 02:06 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
can you post a video please so we can all at least see and listen to the noise......thanks throw out bearings are also noisy
I dont know how to post a video, sorry I suck. When I replaced my clutch I noticed wear in the end of pilot shaft an the pilot bearing was bad. I replaced both with new an since the torque tube was apart I replaced all the bearings an rubber couplers. They all seemed in excellent condition but at 55k miles I replaced them all. This is a video of someone else but the sound is exactly the same. you can hear him engaging clutch and sound going away. My cam idle seems to make it worse. As I read all the comments it seems the issue was never figured out for this guy either.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:39 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I dont know how to post a video, sorry I suck. When I replaced my clutch I noticed wear in the end of pilot shaft an the pilot bearing was bad. I replaced both with new an since the torque tube was apart I replaced all the bearings an rubber couplers. They all seemed in excellent condition but at 55k miles I replaced them all. This is a video of someone else but the sound is exactly the same. you can hear him engaging clutch and sound going away. My cam idle seems to make it worse. As I read all the comments it seems the issue was never figured out for this guy either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3DQSng0PM
Thats a normal twin disc clutch. My McLeod twin, properly setup, sounds similar.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:10 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Check your axle back exhaust mine rattles hits the side a little
Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

I dont know how to post a video, sorry I suck. When I replaced my clutch I noticed wear in the end of pilot shaft an the pilot bearing was bad. I replaced both with new an since the torque tube was apart I replaced all the bearings an rubber couplers. They all seemed in excellent condition but at 55k miles I replaced them all. This is a video of someone else but the sound is exactly the same. you can hear him engaging clutch and sound going away. My cam idle seems to make it worse. As I read all the comments it seems the issue was never figured out for this guy either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_3DQSng0PM
That’s pretty loud. My Monster LT1-S does not make that noise at all in my cammed Z06.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (12-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New clutch very noisy

Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ttx350z

That’s pretty loud. My Monster LT1-S does not make that noise at all in my cammed Z06.
It does, you just don't realize it because you have a loud exhaust.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:02 PM
ttx350z
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 177 Posts

It does, you just don't realize it because you have a loud exhaust.
Umm no, I’ve been under my car while it was running and never heard that sound. That rattle is a completely different pitch/frequency.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:01 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Did you get the super light flywheel option or is it a heavy steel one. It is a little louder than normal. The lighter the flywheel clutch combo the louder it will be. I noticed over time the noise seem to subside as clutch broke in.

Quick Reply: New clutch very noisy