Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Before you make any decisions make sure you get a proper diagnosis. Wiyh that you can make intelligent decisions on possible courses of action.

You’ve said a couple times you’re going to be dumping this car, so at this point it is simply a financial decision on return on investment (fix). If the motor is gone you’ll be in a tough spot...may be best to let it go as a roller since unlikely to recoup motor replacement costs.

sad to hear this...sincerly best of luck.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:00 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Sorry to hear about your motor !
I don't think you mentioned whether you track the car and how many miles on the motor.

DH
Thanks. There are just over 17k miles on the motor. I've only been to tracks twice, but I have been doing autocross here and there for the past few years.

Originally Posted by stefuel
I have seen....

Over ported heads that cracked in the port.
Otherwise plain old cracked heads
Blown head gasket
Cracked block/sleeve. This is a dry sleeve so if the sleeve is cracked and coolant got in that way, the block behind the sleeve is cracked.

As stated, coolant can't come from a air to oil cooler.
Thanks for the reassurance. I will try to find a place that can properly diagnose it. Hopefully I can get more details out of the dealership tomorrow, too.

Originally Posted by 03BlkZ
Subscribing to see the actual cause
I will be reporting back with what happened!

Originally Posted by Mark Leger
This sounds like a typical blown head gasket. When those go coolant leaks into the oil. As long as you didn't drive it after it happened, hopefully nothing else needs to be replaced.
That's what I thought originally as well. Once it shut off I didn't drive it anymore.

Originally Posted by moose.b3
You're in SoCal so I would give AHP a call. If you decide to sell your Z, an AHP motor in it would be a strong selling point.
I would love to have them take care of my car. I know they're busy though, so we'll see what happens.

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Before you make any decisions make sure you get a proper diagnosis. Wiyh that you can make intelligent decisions on possible courses of action.

You’ve said a couple times you’re going to be dumping this car, so at this point it is simply a financial decision on return on investment (fix). If the motor is gone you’ll be in a tough spot...may be best to let it go as a roller since unlikely to recoup motor replacement costs.

sad to hear this...sincerly best of luck.
​​​​​​​
Thank you. I will definitely get a proper diagnosis done. Yeah, I'm trying to not make this massive loss for myself, but I also want to make sure the car gets properly taken care of (or just leave it and let a future buyer fix it how they want). There has to be a middle point somewhere.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_D
Thanks. There are just over 17k miles on the motor. I've only been to tracks twice, but I have been doing autocross here and there for the past few years.
Well thats low milage.
I currently autocross at least once a month. I don't believe its hard on the motor unless you stay in 1st gear the whole run. And a whole day is about 15 (max) minutes of drive time which is less than one session on a track day.
The track can definitely be hard on the motor. Your car has the smaller oil capacity which can be a problem if the track you were on had long high G left hand turns which can cause oil starvation.

DH
Old 12-10-2018, 11:40 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Well thats low milage.
I currently autocross at least once a month. I don't believe its hard on the motor unless you stay in 1st gear the whole run. And a whole day is about 15 (max) minutes of drive time which is less than one session on a track day.
The track can definitely be hard on the motor. Your car has the smaller oil capacity which can be a problem if the track you were on had long high G left hand turns which can cause oil starvation.

DH
I'm never in first gear when I autocross. I stay in 2nd, which is perfect for the lot we have here. I didn't think it would be crazy hard on the motor either. I did dry sump tank upgrade to give it more capacity, so I don't think that's the issue.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

UPDATE: Got off the phone with the dealer. Turns out they didn't take the engine apart at all. Based on that and the fact that their current suspicion can't possibly be correct, I'm going to bring it elsewhere. I'm not sure I want them to tear down the motor now.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_D
UPDATE: Got off the phone with the dealer. Turns out they didn't take the engine apart at all. Based on that and the fact that their current suspicion can't possibly be correct, I'm going to bring it elsewhere. I'm not sure I want them to tear down the motor now.
It will still be beneficial to get the answer to the question, "how did they make the determination they presented to you?".

You may not get an answer and the situation may become somewhat uncomfortable, for them....
Old 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
It will still be beneficial to get the answer to the question, "how did they make the determination they presented to you?".

You may not get an answer and the situation may become somewhat uncomfortable, for them....
I asked them that, but I didn't press them too hard about it. They said they made the determination based on the state of the oil and the coolant. They said they'd need extra authorization from me to open the motor. Should I allow them to open the motor? I'm just afraid of having them touch it at this point.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:16 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You should post a thread in the SoCal regional forum and ask for referrals to a trusted shop.

Just an FYI, don't make any reference to having it fixed somewhere else and be careful of having them charge you storage. Also, you need to know how much you owe them at this point - just tell them you're trying to figure out what your finances need to be.

As for the condition of the motor: The poof and the dripping oil possibly suggest something more than a blown head gasket; but that is still possible. If the gasket totally broke at a critical point along the outer edge of the head, that could account for the coolant in the oil, the poof and the leak The fact that it turns over is good and that indicates the engine did not grenade and was not hydro-locked at that time. Ask if there is any indication of coolant/oil in the exhaust system.

Ask them where they think the oil is leaking from and what they think would have caused that leak.

What dealership is involved here?
The following users liked this post:
Kingtal0n (01-02-2019)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I’d pull the car out now. I’ve got some pretty good experiences letting an incompetent shop do work only to end up triple paying for the same work/diagnoses. If your already uncomfortable and the forum is making more sense and providing more information just based on what you have described I’d go ahead and pull it. While Vette’s are definitely not a rare car, the LS7 is a unique motor and I think your finding out first hand that even most dealerships don’t have a ton of experience with the LS7. I think since AHP did your heads and your so close reaching out to Kohle is the best option. I’m sure they are busy but I’d image you could get them to expedite the tear down so you could know what exactly failed. Now while they may be able to get you a cause relatively soon, the fix could take a bit longer depending on what’s on their plate. My experience with AHP has been awesome and I’ll have more on them when I post my rebuild thread(it’s coming Kohle, just been busy at work lol) I can’t stress enough if you don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the shop/dealership that has your car cut your losses and move on ASAP, otherwise you’ll be without a car for much longer and probably double pay if not triple pay by the time it’s all said and done. I’m hoping for the best for you bud, having gone through incompetent shops messing **** up and how much time and money I wasted I wish that upon no man! Good luck man!🇺🇸
Old 12-10-2018, 12:28 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just one more thing. You didn't say what shop did the head R&R work. Could be good to chat with them...
Old 12-10-2018, 01:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
2007 is air to oil cooler...no contact with coolant at all. Clearly their engine guy knows nothing.

Sounds like something went boom, leaked coolant into the bottom end, and oil pump tossed er into the sump.
Agreed. That was just some dealership guy throwing out a WAG. Probably isn't even aware the ZR1 style oil cooler wasn't introduced to the LS7 until 2011.

OP, if your heads are intact, I'd look at one of Kohle's forged short blocks..but get your car over to him for proper diagnosis and tear down..
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I hate these kinds of posts....
BRISLS1 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Thanks, 0H8Z06, assuming you hate these posts for the same reason I do.
There seems to be a disaster that has happened, but very vague information to digest. The poster has a sparse profile with no pictures of the car, and no location listed.

"should I just sell it as a roller". is a pretty catastrophic question to ask about your car. For those of us who own the same car, it would be nice see more detail. Pictures?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:01 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

You should post a thread in the SoCal regional forum and ask for referrals to a trusted shop.

Just an FYI, don't make any reference to having it fixed somewhere else and be careful of having them charge you storage. Also, you need to know how much you owe them at this point - just tell them you're trying to figure out what your finances need to be.

As for the condition of the motor: The poof and the dripping oil possibly suggest something more than a blown head gasket; but that is still possible. If the gasket totally broke at a critical point along the outer edge of the head, that could account for the coolant in the oil, the poof and the leak The fact that it turns over is good and that indicates the engine did not grenade and was not hydro-locked at that time. Ask if there is any indication of coolant/oil in the exhaust system.

Ask them where they think the oil is leaking from and what they think would have caused that leak.

What dealership is involved here?
They actually didn't charge me. I'm guessing it's because they didn't do any other diagnosing than what I already did (checking coolant, oil, etc). They weren't able to tell me where it was leaking from. A friend of mine helped me out with getting my car to a shop that his friend runs, so hopefully this week we'll have a true diagnosis.

Originally Posted by 73DBG
I’d pull the car out now. I’ve got some pretty good experiences letting an incompetent shop do work only to end up triple paying for the same work/diagnoses. If your already uncomfortable and the forum is making more sense and providing more information just based on what you have described I’d go ahead and pull it. While Vette’s are definitely not a rare car, the LS7 is a unique motor and I think your finding out first hand that even most dealerships don’t have a ton of experience with the LS7. I think since AHP did your heads and your so close reaching out to Kohle is the best option. I’m sure they are busy but I’d image you could get them to expedite the tear down so you could know what exactly failed. Now while they may be able to get you a cause relatively soon, the fix could take a bit longer depending on what’s on their plate. My experience with AHP has been awesome and I’ll have more on them when I post my rebuild thread(it’s coming Kohle, just been busy at work lol) I can’t stress enough if you don’t have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the shop/dealership that has your car cut your losses and move on ASAP, otherwise you’ll be without a car for much longer and probably double pay if not triple pay by the time it’s all said and done. I’m hoping for the best for you bud, having gone through incompetent shops messing **** up and how much time and money I wasted I wish that upon no man! Good luck man!🇺🇸
Man, I'm sorry to hear that! Luckily for this particular car I've had it at a few amazing shops. I did reach out to AHP. They were extremely kind and offered to do the diagnosis for me, but because of how busy they are, they said they wouldn't be able to actually fix the car until February. Therefore I decided to keep my car here closer to me. Otherwise it would've went to them in the beginning. Thanks for the well wishes, I wish you the same!

Just one more thing. You didn't say what shop did the head R&R work. Could be good to chat with them...
You mean the shop that did my heads? It's AHP. I've been chatting with them, and they've been very nice and helpful.

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Agreed. That was just some dealership guy throwing out a WAG. Probably isn't even aware the ZR1 style oil cooler wasn't introduced to the LS7 until 2011.

OP, if your heads are intact, I'd look at one of Kohle's forged short blocks..but get your car over to him for proper diagnosis and tear down..
Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I did check out his blocks on his website. That's probably the route I'm going if I need to replace my block. A shop more local to me is going to do the tear down now. Wish AHP was closer, but this shop should be really good as well.

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Originally Posted by BRISLS1
There seems to be a disaster that has happened, but very vague information to digest. The poster has a sparse profile with no pictures of the car, and no location listed.

"should I just sell it as a roller". is a pretty catastrophic question to ask about your car. For those of us who own the same car, it would be nice see more detail. Pictures?
What is the reason exactly? I hope I'm not causing you any additional worries about your own car. I made sure to post this after I got an official diagnosis (or rather when I thought I did). That way I could just say what the issue is, get some advice on how to proceed, and then I could proceed. Turns out my original diagnosis was incorrect, so now I feel I posted too early. Oh well, I guess these things happen.

I also keep little information in my profile on purpose. I'm a private person when it comes to posting on the internet. I've mentioned the area I live in (Southern California).

About the roller comment, I mentioned that because I didn't want to spend almost 20k on fixing the car only to sell it for low 30s when maybe I could save myself a ton of stress and sell as-is for 15 or maybe even more (meaning I would be out the same or less than if I would fix it).

The pictures I have won't tell much because no one has taken apart the motor yet. All I have are some pictures of some oil coming out of what looks like the air filter area of the car. If you or anyone else is interested, I could post those. I just didn't think they'd add any value. I also tried taking pictures of inside the coolant tank.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:17 AM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Originally Posted by BRISLS1

Chill out, he's trying to figure out what's going on just as much as we are.

OP, thanks for providing info so far. I hope it's rebuild-able and a RCA is identified!
NavyAirTraffic (09-23-2023)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 AM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Sorry about the failure...I'm curious who the dealer is...FYI, you can buy a COMPLETE LS7 engine on line for $11k with NO tax and NO shipping...$19k is a real stretch

Greg
Old 12-12-2018, 07:57 AM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by UBNZO6D
Sorry about the failure...I'm curious who the dealer is...FYI, you can buy a COMPLETE LS7 engine on line for $11k with NO tax and NO shipping...$19k is a real stretch

Greg
The dealer is including labor in that price (around ~$8k) which isn't that unreasonable.

Get notified of new replies

To Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up

Old 12-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

​​​​​​​Best of luck to you, OP.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

Filter area? Yes please post pics.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Corvette_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Chill out, he's trying to figure out what's going on just as much as we are.

OP, thanks for providing info so far. I hope it's rebuild-able and a RCA is identified!
Thanks, man! I'll keep going at it! Right, I'm so anxious to even find the root cause at this point. It's been weeks, and at this point I'm incredibly frustrated.

Originally Posted by UBNZO6D

Greg
I'm hesitant to post who the dealer is because I don't want this to somehow hurt their business, but it's Bob Stall Chevy. They've otherwise given me great service in the past for smaller maintenance items.

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
The dealer is including labor in that price (around ~$8k) which isn't that unreasonable.
Yeah, this is about what I was expecting. Someone here posted that their dealer gave a quote many thousands higher when they got quoted for a new engine. Part of this quote is replacing the dry sump tank as well.

Originally Posted by Jstan2014

Best of luck to you, OP.

Thanks! I'm going to need it.

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Filter area? Yes please post pics.
Sure, I'll post them. See below.

The squares show where the oil is when looking into the engine bay.

Seems like more is dripping in this area, the driver's side of the car.

You can see the oil going across the top of the rubber.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Low mile C6 Z06 engine blown up