Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

40k mile LS7 tear down

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:17 AM
zaquhree
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 40k mile LS7 tear down

Just wanted to share these for anyone curious on what wear looks like on an 06 LS7 @41k miles

Oil pressure was 36-40 hot idle and 70+ wot
Had metal flakes in oil after taking heads off to do a lifter swap

Oil pump has weird marks I can't explain

Three rods had a small mark that looks like slight wear

The bearings to me seem to be the source of glitter I had

Last edited by zaquhree; 12-10-2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:17 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

That’s nuts to see on only 40k. All these horror stories about the ls7 arent making me feel better. I don’t understand how the ls1 can be rock solid (just hit 102k in my T/A with no issues) but this bad a$$ gem of a 427 seems to have so many problems.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 12-10-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

About to send out an oil sample on my 43k mile motor.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

Mine also has pixie dust in oil. I just did a second cam swap hoping it’s just the cam bearings adjusting to new cam or from the assembly lube. I’m at 43k

Last edited by Jayfabs; 12-10-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Saw this on the FB page. Following.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
Mine also has pixie dust in oil. I just did a second cam swap hoping it’s just the cam bearings adjusting to new cam. I’m at 43k
I've never seen any material in my oil. Did you notice it in sunlight or with a flashlight?
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 AM
drewz06
thing knower
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 925 Likes on 683 Posts

hmm... im about to send a sample on a stock 65k mile motor....

this is what my oil filter has in the bottom, waiting on a Blackstone.. the light streak is a finger swipe

I didn't know they made oil with a pearl in it. :o

Last edited by drewz06; 12-10-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM
zaquhree
Racer

Best of luck with the oil samples. I was told over and over to run the motor and flush the oil basically by a bunch of people. This just didn't seem right to me. I sold my other C6Z and missed it a lot so I bought another. This is really making me kick myself in the *** since I drove this car once. Now I need to decide what's next. Do I buy new pistons and reuse crank with a set of dimpled third gen Ti rods and have them coated? Do I swap rods crank and pistons? Idk

Last edited by zaquhree; 12-10-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM
zaquhree
Racer

Originally Posted by jayyyw
I've never seen any material in my oil. Did you notice it in sunlight or with a flashlight?
Mine was a flashlight and then more apparent in sunlight
Old 12-10-2018, 11:45 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Definitely a shitty situation to be in. Like I said, I've never noticed anything in my oil but I could have just missed it. Never really looked at it that hard. I'm selling my motor and the guy wanting to buy it asked me to send out an oil sample. The results will decide how the next few months will go. If it comes back bad, I will likely tear down the shortblock and reuse the stock crank/rods if they are in good condition and throw in some forged pistons.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:48 PM
hy_bmw_freak
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And what was the Problem?? I can't see anything it looks be good or not?? You have no issues with the engine??

you opend it the engine it has metall flakes ??

how do you drive the car ?? Track ? 3 honk races?? Or to the ice cream parlor ?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:49 PM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

About to send out an oil sample on my 43k mile motor.

Oil diagnosis--SIR, you have massive amounts of CORN & NITROUS in your oil

Jayyyw--well ya.......but what else is in there

Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Subbing. Fully support filtermags. Great product. Keeps that fine particulate out of circulation (as long as it's a ferrous metal). It does look like you had some rather large particulate run through the bearings creating the deeper scoring. Good thing you preventively tore it down and found these problems before they got out of hand. You saved all the big parts from destruction so you can re-use all of them. There's a mixed set of feelings about recoating the stock rods and reusing them. My opinion...need to know the budget and the power goals before deciding on parts.

Good news: Your crank journals looks perfectly fine and they will polish out nicely. And the main cam journals looked good as well. The rods also "looked" good to the naked eye, but better to have them thoroughly inspected by a good shop before using. This is the perfect time to throw a bottom end in there that suits your needs.

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 12-10-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:31 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Subbing. Fully support filtermags. Great product. Keeps that fine particulate out of circulation (as long as it's a ferrous metal). It does look like you had some rather large particulate run through the bearings creating the deeper scoring. Good thing you preventively tore it down and found these problems before they got out of hand. You saved all the big parts from destruction so you can re-use all of them. There's a mixed set of feelings about recoating the stock rods and reusing them. My opinion...need to know the budget and the power goals before deciding on parts.

Good news: Your crank journals looks perfectly fine and they will polish out nicely. And the main cam journals looked good as well. The rods also "looked" good to the naked eye, but better to have them thoroughly inspected by a good shop before using. This is the perfect time to throw a bottom end in there that suits your needs.
Agree with the above statement and also a fan of magnets even though there isn't much ferrous metal in our engines. I have been using these drain plugs with very strong magnets, not the cheaper weaker ones. I pick up quite a bit of magnetic "fuzz" each oil change from both drain plug magnets. I figure every bit helps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015F56KIU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015F56KIU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 02:03 PM
zaquhree
Racer

More pics:

This is the housing from an OEM pump a friend showed me to compare to mine because it has marks.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:12 PM
zaquhree
Racer

Definitely a shitty situation to be in. Like I said, I've never noticed anything in my oil but I could have just missed it. Never really looked at it that hard. I'm selling my motor and the guy wanting to buy it asked me to send out an oil sample. The results will decide how the next few months will go. If it comes back bad, I will likely tear down the shortblock and reuse the stock crank/rods if they are in good condition and throw in some forged pistons.
If you see no metal dust or flakes in the oil then I wouldn't have any immediate concerns. The main thing is this like fairy dust **** seems to happen to a few LS7's. I even think there's a catchcan thread or something

Originally Posted by hy_bmw_freak
And what was the Problem?? I can't see anything it looks be good or not?? You have no issues with the engine??

you opend it the engine it has metall flakes ??

how do you drive the car ?? Track ? 3 honk races?? Or to the ice cream parlor ?
I bought this car with 40k miles. The car had RPM lvl 3 H/C/I done @ 39k. So I can't comment on how she was driven. However I'm the third owner and it was stock before I got it. Bought it from a nice guy who wanted a ZR1.

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin

Firm believer in preventative maintenance because it usually comes out cheaper and a little more inconvenient if you're not prepared. I believe two or three of my rods have a light black mark on the cheeks which is my only concern (looks like heat and not rubbing down into the Ti). Hopefully using HPR on this once I get my ducks in a row. My budget is a cost effective OEM rebuild because I don't plan on doing anything else plus I just bought the car for 33k. I can spend up to $3.5k on a rebuild comfortably if I HAVE to and it makes sense go to $5-6k Ideally I'd like to have a 600/500 on paper that traps 138-142 NA. The car made 630/540 prior to this. Trap speed and how the car drives is most important to me. For my budget or close to it if I can forge it and go boost I would consider that as well. My car has a lvl 6 T56 and I have a BC2 clutch to support the power

Originally Posted by MickVette
Agree with the above statement and also a fan of magnets even though there isn't much ferrous metal in our engines. I have been using these drain plugs with very strong magnets, not the cheaper weaker ones. I pick up quite a bit of magnetic "fuzz" each oil change from both drain plug magnets. I figure every bit helps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the recommendation. I am a huge fan of this idea and always run magnetic drain plugs at a minimum!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:27 PM
zaquhree
Racer

Rod pics. The worst mark is what you can see. I don't see any gouging signs just these witness marks

Get notified of new replies

To 40k mile LS7 tear down

Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

sun light
Old 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by zaquhree

If you see no metal dust or flakes in the oil then I wouldn't have any immediate concerns. The main thing is this like fairy dust **** seems to happen to a few LS7's. I even think there's a catchcan thread or something
Yes, I started a fairy dust in catch can thread a couple of years back. I still get a little. But you have to look closely at the bottom of the can after emptying it and in the sunlight. BTW: my oil samples have been very good.

DH
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

The scoring on the outside of the oil pump MAAAYYY have been caused by over torqueing the balancer causing the timing chain to rub??? Just throwing guesses out there. Especially, it being a reputable shop that did the work. Hard to say without having the whole engine to look through. Does the valvetrain have the same scoring?

Quick Reply: 40k mile LS7 tear down