Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Something wicked this way coming from HPR to the FNBADAZ06

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 04:49 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Received 211 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
I hope they used some cam lube lol!
That should go without saying, but I stopped during assembly to take the pic.....

Bearings are oiled inside the block and the cam is lubed as it goes in, and one more time through the crankcase (engine is upside down as you see) on each journal before it is put all the way in.

Lube is applied to the retainer plate, and also the backside of the cam gear. Loctite on all threads with CMD under the bolt heads to provide an accurate torque reading.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Wow, I've never seen a cam that didn't have lobes! I agree, it would almost make sense to spec how long the valves are closed. I will be interested to hear it when you get it running, Victor.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:20 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

The cam is very similar in size to what Jeromy (441LSXTT) has in his 468
I don't know if his uses the same lobes, though.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Talked myself into changing out my standard ATI dampner with a 10% underdriven version...just because LOL
Old 03-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

I’m really looking forward to your results. I kinda want a 468 now. I think it would be killer with my Mamo package. I saw the price online does that have a core fee?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:52 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by HP RESEARCH
That should go without saying, but I stopped during assembly to take the pic.....

Bearings are oiled inside the block and the cam is lubed as it goes in, and one more time through the crankcase (engine is upside down as you see) on each journal before it is put all the way in.

Lube is applied to the retainer plate, and also the backside of the cam gear. Loctite on all threads with CMD under the bolt heads to provide an accurate torque reading.
I figured as much, just had to give you some $hit Eric because it would make a bad pic to see a "drippy" camshaft lol!
Old 03-14-2019, 03:55 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jayfabs
I’m really looking forward to your results. I kinda want a 468 now. I think it would be killer with my Mamo package. I saw the price online does that have a core fee?
There are no core fees on all new builds as shown online.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

I kinda want a 468 now.
Me too. More than kinda. Need to replenish the budget again.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to derail this great thread, but I would love a little commentary on this. I seem to recall that one of the early 468's posted here on CF used Tony's heads. As most know, Tony's LS7 heads use a relatively small intake port compared to just about every other LS7 head. On a 468, does that port start to run out of volume or is it capable of feeding all of those cubes sufficiently to 7500 rpm or so?

I have a set of his heads on my 434ci solid roller with a single plane (very different than all of these other combinations). But if/when I ever dig into it again, I'm really interested in how well that top-end would fare on top of one of these short blocks! In my case it's generally not the intake that runs out of capability although I sure wish I could supply more plenum volume (that's a whole other story...).

Love following these big builds! Keep the great info (and pictures!) coming...
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carbuff
I don't want to derail this great thread, but I would love a little commentary on this. I seem to recall that one of the early 468's posted here on CF used Tony's heads. As most know, Tony's LS7 heads use a relatively small intake port compared to just about every other LS7 head. On a 468, does that port start to run out of volume or is it capable of feeding all of those cubes sufficiently to 7500 rpm or so?

I have a set of his heads on my 434ci solid roller with a single plane (very different than all of these other combinations). But if/when I ever dig into it again, I'm really interested in how well that top-end would fare on top of one of these short blocks! In my case it's generally not the intake that runs out of capability although I sure wish I could supply more plenum volume (that's a whole other story...).

I'll let Anthony and Louis speak on this, but the GSpeed Road Race 468 thread IS (I believe) a 468/Mamo head setup.....with a hi-ram.....thanks to someone with the letter "J" in his name ;-)

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 03-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by carbuff

It all depends. I know that sounds bad, but picking the right head, the right intake, and matching cam are all part of having a good build and performance in the RPM range you want it for. You wouldn't want to do a idle to 6000 RPM cam and pick a head to run 3000-7500, and a intake for 4500-9000. Picking a balanced combo for what the customer wants to do is the best way to go about it. You can kind of see this with the GSpeed Mule engine that was dynoing around 675 whp and Jeremy's more aggressive build (like Vic's here) and made 680ish whp but both were using the same MSD intake. The GSpeed engine was built around that intake in mind, where as these are going to be designed to take advantage of a bigger head and higher RPM intake manifold.

Both Jeremy and GSpeed are doing intake testing right now since there isn't much to pick from on intake manifolds to "fit" a Corvette as off the shelf units. You have a FAST, MSD, and High Ram for the most part. There are a ton of billet intakes but with the super short runners, don't fair well for power under the curve on a street car running 7000RPM and under. Being Louis and the gang at GSpeed are a shop and they are doing this on one of their house cars it is easier for them to do testing a bit quicker. The nice thing is that all of this will (and is) benefit everyone in far better performing HPR engines as a result. 700whp hyd roller, pump gas engines are not going to be un-heard of nor will they require super exotic parts and have to turn 8500 RPM.

Last edited by HP RESEARCH; 03-14-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:06 PM
carbuff
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends.
And at the end of the day, that is the truth... It really does depend on what you want the combo to do I suppose. It seems that most of these builds are running out of intake, so it's hard to know where the head limit will be until that can be solved. I suppose I was looking for more of a 'rule of thumb' on when an intake port would be too small to feed one of these engines, but that thinking is likely too limited in scope...

I continue to look forward to the learning you are doing, and more importantly, willing to share with the community. Thanx!
Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 PM
Jayfabs
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts

It all depends. I know that sounds bad, but picking the right head, the right intake, and matching cam are all part of having a good build and performance in the RPM range you want it for. You wouldn't want to do a idle to 6000 RPM cam and pick a head to run 3000-7500, and a intake for 4500-9000. Picking a balanced combo for what the customer wants to do is the best way to go about it. You can kind of see this with the GSpeed Mule engine that was dynoing around 675 whp and Jeremy's more aggressive build (like Vic's here) and made 680ish whp but both were using the same MSD intake. The GSpeed engine was built around that intake in mind, where as these are going to be designed to take advantage of a bigger head and higher RPM intake manifold.

Both Jeremy and GSpeed are doing intake testing right now since there isn't much to pick from on intake manifolds to "fit" a Corvette as off the shelf units. You have a FAST, MSD, and High Ram for the most part. There are a ton of billet intakes but with the super short runners, don't fair well for power under the curve on a street car running 7000RPM and under. Being Louis and the gang at GSpeed are a shop and they are doing this on one of their house cars it is easier for them to do testing a bit quicker. The nice thing is that all of this will (and is) benefit everyone in far better performing HPR engines as a result. 700whp hyd roller, pump gas engines are not going to be un-heard of nor will they require super exotic parts and have to turn 8500 RPM.
thank you for the info I do have one of Tony’s more worked heads and bigger cam. I did see that gspeed stated their drivetrain is robbing this setup of 20-30 rwhp and they will be using a regular transmission for testing later. I was looking at this block if mine goes.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:36 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Well, it's a no-go on the conicals......... no locators available for the LS heads at this time
So it's PAC 1209X's with titanium retainers matched to the titanium intake and Inconel exhaust valves.
Head assembly has commenced.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Victor, are the Ti Intake valves from Victory Racing in NC (Katech's supplier and to most of NASCAR)?

Looking good!
Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Victor, are the Ti Intake valves from Victory Racing in NC (Katech's supplier and to most of NASCAR)?

Looking good!
Not sure, Dave.
These are the larger 2.250" valves, too.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 03-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AzDave47 (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Not a bad spring to use, either way.

Get notified of new replies

To Something wicked this way coming from HPR to the FNBADAZ06

Old 03-20-2019, 09:20 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

What are you plans with you new motor? road race, drag, street or something else Just curious.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lamboworld
What are you plans with you new motor? road race, drag, street or something else Just curious.
Multi purpose

I run HPDE's, drag race on 1/4, 1/2, and soon 1 mile and further (over 2 miles in one event in Florida ).
The only thing I've never really gotten into was auto-x, though I've done it a few times when it was stock
Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 AM
0HP RESEARCH
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Multi purpose

I run HPDE's, drag race on 1/4, 1/2, and soon 1 mile and further (over 2 miles in one event in Florida ).
The only thing I've never really gotten into was auto-x, though I've done it a few times when it was stock
Going to need a really good traction control setup if you are going to AutoX this and one heck of a tire.

Quick Reply: Something wicked this way coming from HPR to the FNBADAZ06