Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Quick Jack works great but....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 07:13 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Quick Jack works great but....

Never lower the car with no wheels lower than it would be with the wheels on. This happened on my BMW but I feel it relevant to Z owners. I was bleeding my brakes and one wheel would not come off (3 wheels were already off) so I thought I could break the wheel loose by lowering the car putting weight on the wheel without the bolts. Some how it got to the point where the level of the car was off. The one side went all the way down and I could not get the quick jack to raise back up!

I got the last wheel off the car but long story short the whole car was almost laying on the rotors and the Quick jack would not raise. Now before you say it's in the manual that the quick jack will not raise a car from it's lowest point. Don't bother. I found that out running around the house and finally pulling up the manual on line and finding out this was the case. I ended up using my low profile jack finding questionable jacking points to get the car high enough to get the wheels back on.

Just though I'd share my dumb *** experience.

The following 3 users liked this post by pjazz:
bjmsam (12-16-2018), fattiremike (12-15-2018), JDebler (12-16-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:25 PM
fattiremike
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just got my Quickjack a couple of weeks ago. Love it so far. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Nitrobullitt
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my Quick Jack works like a champ
Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Yeah, I did the same thing.....I believe they call it a "dead lift" or something to that effect.
It needs a bit of run up before it begins bearing the weight of the car.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:11 AM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't get that part though. I have a 7000SLX and use it on 4 cars but...……………….

say you got a car lifted up and locked down on the first safety lock and you want to lift up to the second one so you press the up button to the next lock. That to me is a dead lift from the first lock to the second one since the weight of the car is on the QJ already up on first lock.

I sometimes set it up under the car and lift it slightly then check the placement of the blocks to the proper lift point (or remove wheel nuts when the wheels are still slightly on the ground) once I confirm the lift areas are correct with the car slightly up I just continue up. I don't lower the car down then lift again.

Tony
Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cman01
I don't get that part though. I have a 7000SLX and use it on 4 cars but...……………….

say you got a car lifted up and locked down on the first safety lock and you want to lift up to the second one so you press the up button to the next lock. That to me is a dead lift from the first lock to the second one since the weight of the car is on the QJ already up on first lock.

I sometimes set it up under the car and lift it slightly then check the placement of the blocks to the proper lift point (or remove wheel nuts when the wheels are still slightly on the ground) once I confirm the lift areas are correct with the car slightly up I just continue up. I don't lower the car down then lift again.

Tony
Yeah, it's when the jack is completely lowered onto the ground. I can't remember the exact reason, but they post the mechanical condition that causes this in their FAQ (iirc).....and that ALL lifts of this type experience the same phenomenon, it's not unique to their lift. The dead lift is when there is not sufficient hydraulic pressure in the line and the leverage point in which the jack begins to scissor up isn't strong enough. You'd get the same thing on your 7000 is you pulled the wheels and dropped a vehicle all the way down until the jack is fully compressed.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:35 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Yeah, I did the same thing.....I believe they call it a "dead lift" or something to that effect.
It needs a bit of run up before it begins bearing the weight of the car.
Are you saying you Z was laying on the ground ? how'd you get it back up??

Old 12-16-2018, 10:52 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pjazz
Yep, almost touching the rotors on the ground. Per their tech support, I had to put my low profile jacks under the car and jack it up off the Quick Jack , then raise the Quick Jack until it made contact, then continued the lift.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:21 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Hindsight is 20/20... But whenever I have a car in the air and say I forget to loosen the lugs first while its on the ground, I will use a floor jack and raise the cup up under the tire to prevent it from spinning while in the air. Glad nothing serious came of your mishap!!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:33 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pjazz
One last thing I learned, which also sounds like you experienced......

When I did something similar to what you did, the electronics required to keep both side level was thrown off (proportioning valve ?). This allowed one side to lift, while the other side would make contact with the car, but not raise any further and stall....causing the car to tilt on the jacks.
To get them back in sync, I had to lower both sides completely, pull them from under the car, then stand on both jacks while I raised and lowered it several times. This allowed the electronic proportioning valve to "resync" both sides, so that it would raise both ramps evenly.

Got that little tidbit from their tech support as well
Old 12-18-2018, 09:11 AM
skidz88
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Does the Quick Jack work well on cars with side skirts(Z07 package or ZR1)?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by skidz88
Does the Quick Jack work well on cars with side skirts(Z07 package or ZR1)?
My buddy uses his on his c7z with full aero all the time. No issues.
The following users liked this post:
skidz88 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm glad that you didn't damage your car, Quick Jack does mention that their jack will not lift the car if the jack is completely down
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by mykream
My buddy uses his on his c7z with full aero all the time. No issues.
2010 ZR1 no problem.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:38 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 449er
I'm glad that you didn't damage your car, Quick Jack does mention that their jack will not lift the car if the jack is completely down
How come I knew someone would give their "Why didn't you read the instructions"post. Please read the original post. This was just to give the small group of us who don't always read the manual thoroughly a heads up.

Last edited by pjazz; 12-19-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Jack works great but....

Quick Reply: Quick Jack works great but....