Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 PM
usctroj836
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Bad cell in the battery maybe. Bad batteries always cause these sorts of gremlins. I would hope to God they've at least done a load test on your Battery.
Totally agree. I my battery was not getting charged and all kinds of goofy things started to happen. The next day all is good.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:44 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default BCM harness connection

Originally Posted by DaleInColorado
Well sports fans, previous gauge problem that went away after 9 days at the Dealership ,is back after 25 days. They wiggled and jiggled connections and problem went away. Out for a drive down here in Casa Grande Az on Jan 12, 2019, the gauges went spastic again on I-10. Wouldn't start after eating breakfast. Brand new battery. Open driver's door and closed a couple of times and she started. What a fix !! Back to dealer today. And of course the gauges are all functioning perfectly. So dealer has to monitor over night and try to recreate the problem. BCM functioning "normal". It was replaced back at 8000 miles via a service bulletin . Now have 40k. Bad BCM? time will tell. Loose wire in driver's door? Who knows. Maybe, Maybe not. Can't trust car now. Especially since it won't start after being turned off. I would be happy with opening and closing door if that solved my short term problem. Will there ever be an actual FINAL update? Stay tuned! Sorry for the pun.
In my earlier post I failed to explain that my friend's BCM had been dealer replaced not once but twice. Each repair lasted less than 90 days before symptoms (erratic gauges/no start) returned. That's what caused me to question / wiggle wiring to the BCM. His wife was accused of continually applying the brakes on the passenger floorboard (he drove in-throttle a lot)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:30 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Z06 2009 displaying many faults, dealer STILL stumped

So the continuing spastic gauges story. (2009 C6 Z06, 40,000 miles). Dealer just replaced the BCM. Two miles from shop, it started all over again...It's a daily or every few days driver.
BUT, it does start every time so far. Well I just jinxed that !!! Waiting to reschedule trip back to Dealership. Love those extended warranties. Being retired helps with stress. Too busy playing softball.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:38 AM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear. I had the same issue on my previous 08, I ended up selling it. But I also wasn't under warranty so I didn't look as hard as you did. Hope you find a fix!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

ill bet this car has had a bad battery sometime in its life, not now i know its been replaced but.....the effects are not always immediate.......just like jump starting these cars. they dont like it.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

If you have a fully charged battery and you can't link up to the car via the OBD2 with a scan tool then I would say the com line has a problem. I think you said it's not storing codes. I would look for a device that is easy to probe the 5 volt reference circuit and measure it when things go funky. If that is low, start unplugging devices one at a time until the voltage pops back up. Sounds like a fun one. Wish you were closer.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:23 PM
bobandc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2007 had many if not all of the problems your car has, plus mine would run really rough at times. Replaced the BCM and the battery and problems continued. Mechanic says it's a bad cable to the Mass Air Sensor, replaced it for $150 and it's been 16 months without problems.

Last edited by bobandc; 02-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default Update for the last 2 weeks - ignore previous final update !!!!

So only once during the past 2 weeks did the tech get the car to fail, i.e. go spastic with the gauges. It lasted 3 minutes so not enough time to run good diagnostics. When I previously said no codes were stored, I meant like my 2004 did. I could pull them up through the DIC. Now it takes computers at the dealership. He is "feeling" that the twisted pair of com wires are getting interfered with from some place or with each other. The dealership gave me a loaner ( 2019 SUV ) until my car gets fixed. I tried to talk the tech into loaning me his 2017 Z07 ( the LT4 race package from the factory - no mods ). He's a nice guy but not that nice. His motto "if man built it then man can fix it". I like his attitude and have faith in his 30 years of knowledge/experience. Someday, I will be able to post the fix. OH, just jinxed myself again...
The following users liked this post:
Landru (02-09-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:33 PM
BigBoo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This mifht sound stupid but, I have been having problems with 2011 GS pnly showing s"service traction control" and "reduced power". I replaced my battery with one from Interstate, but got it again today. Thought it mifht be temp related because it happened previously on cold mornings, but today was 64 degrees. Waht I'm wondering is, what is EBCM & CBM. Looks like my next step to check.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:04 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default MAYBE final report on my 2009 Z06 spastic electric problem

Well after 55 days at the dealership, it looks like the spastic gauge problem is fixed. Although, I will need another 2 months to build up my confidence.
This time ( the BCM was replaced 57 days ago ) the PCM ( aka ECM ) was replaced - it didn't fix the problem either!. At day 50, I go to dealership to "visit" my Z. The tech looked at me with this S#$T eating grin. " I found it" by pure dumb *** luck.
He noticed a wire barely sticking out of the On-Star connector.He pushed it in and problem fixed. I hope.
THEN, the ABS indicator turns on and off. GREAT, fix it under warranty while still in the shop.
New part ( BPMV ) is installed only to have it leak. Why Not !! New one came in and it didn't leak. I just finished bringing it back home. No problems in 7 miles - it's a start.

Total cost $ 2300, my cost $100. Very good GM extended warranty. I paid $4200 for warranty.
I am still reading forum posts from Jan 2009 forward. A plethora of info. I really enjoy learning about my car. Much more info than the owners manual.
Take care and thanks again to those who posted helpful suggestions.
Dale
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

Default Forgot the shout out

I meant to say that Scott the Vette tech and Michael the service adviser at Henry Brown Chevrolet here in Casa Grande AZ were great.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 PM
DaleInColorado
Heel & Toe

BCM is the Body Control Module and PCM = Powertrain Control Module aka ECM.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:02 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

bad drivers door latch/switch?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2009 displaying many faults, dealer stumped