Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Opinions from c6 zr1 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 07:46 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Opinions from c6 zr1 owners

Guys I currently have a decision to make and I would appreciate any opinions from personal experience on the c6zr1.
My situation is....I own a C4 zr-1 now and would like to buy c6ZR1. I've owned a c6z06 and a c7z06 so I'm not going into this blind but I've never owned/driven a c6zr1. When I had the c6z06, I was always worried the next hard push would result in an engine grenade and maybe for that reason I just never fell in love with that car, I only kept it about a year if that. In order to get the c6zr1 my c4z has to go, wife says can't keep both and honestly I've been in that situation of having multiple toys before and one always takes a back seat and becomes garage art, she is right.
so..... is the c6zr1 "much" better than the c6z06? I know from having my c7z06 the power and delivery of is much better, so I would assume it is a vastly different driving experience c6z/c6zr1, but I'd like to know from people who have actually owned one. You wouldn't think (c4zr1><c6zr1) would be but this is actually a really tough decision of selling my C4, I've got this thing built to where it's just about perfect or as perfect as a C4 zr-1 can get imo.
thanks in advance for the input guys
Old 12-25-2018, 08:45 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Got tired of reading posts about guides, other ls7 problems and engine blowups for the z06, That alone is worth the switch to the ls9

Last edited by RedZ4me; 12-25-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:48 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Got tired of reading guide posts and engine blowups for the z06, That alone is worth the switch to the ls9
agreed, and like i said I think that's a big reason I never fell in love with my '08 c6z06.
now what's your opinion on driving experience difference?
Old 12-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

The ZR1 and Z06 were 2 completely different driving cars. But let me clarify, as far as comfort, they are basically the same. Aesthetics; there are enough changes to tell them apart, you just have to decide which look you prefer.

Driving is a completely different thing. And here is where it becomes subjective and personal. For me, I actually preferred the Z06. It felt lighter and more nimble when driving. The extra power of the ZR1 I always thought "pushed" the car a bit to hard on the street and was easier to over drive. I will admit, my Corvettes have always spent more time being garage queens than driving to their limits, OK, taking them to the limits won't happen. But I truly enjoy an occasional spirited drive.

That being said, there is something about the ZR1 tag an the back of the car, you would be surprised how many people walking around recognized the distinction.

Bottom line, If I was looking at a collector grade car and wanted to have it as an occasional show piece, I'd go again with the ZR1. But if I was looking at a car for more use, driving to work a few times a week or just wanting to have a car to take out and play on a regular basis, it would be the Z06.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by Bajaholic
The ZR1 and Z06 were 2 completely different driving cars. But let me clarify, as far as comfort, they are basically the same. Aesthetics; there are enough changes to tell them apart, you just have to decide which look you prefer.

Driving is a completely different thing. And here is where it becomes subjective and personal. For me, I actually preferred the Z06. It felt lighter and more nimble when driving. The extra power of the ZR1 I always thought "pushed" the car a bit to hard on the street and was easier to over drive. I will admit, my Corvettes have always spent more time being garage queens than driving to their limits, OK, taking them to the limits won't happen. But I truly enjoy an occasional spirited drive.

That being said, there is something about the ZR1 tag an the back of the car, you would be surprised how many people walking around recognized the distinction.

Bottom line, If I was looking at a collector grade car and wanted to have it as an occasional show piece, I'd go again with the ZR1. But if I was looking at a car for more use, driving to work a few times a week or just wanting to have a car to take out and play on a regular basis, it would be the Z06.
ya I think I've pretty much decided on a zr1 over another z06, it's a $30k difference but by the time I got the z06 upgraded to peace of mind levels I'd be near zr1 money anyways. The get a z06/zr1 isn't the issue for me, it's more of how much different they drive? Is it just a z06 +140hp or is it a "different car" thing?
Old 12-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

The looks difference for me are significantly! It's like comparing the looks of a base c6 to a z06 for me, I LOVE the way the zr1 looks
Old 12-25-2018, 12:06 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

The LS9 also has out of spec valve guides from the factory. I don't believe I've heard of anyone dropping a valve on LS9 heads but I know several owners that have had valve guides out of spec. They also have titanium rods which could potentially lead to issues later down the road.

I wouldn't assume that you're in the clear by purchasing a ZR1. We all know anything can happen to any motor.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:45 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakeskinner2
Guys I currently have a decision to make and I would appreciate any opinions from personal experience on the c6zr1.
My situation is....I own a C4 zr-1 now and would like to buy c6ZR1. I've owned a c6z06 and a c7z06 so I'm not going into this blind but I've never owned/driven a c6zr1. When I had the c6z06, I was always worried the next hard push would result in an engine grenade and maybe for that reason I just never fell in love with that car, I only kept it about a year if that. In order to get the c6zr1 my c4z has to go, wife says can't keep both and honestly I've been in that situation of having multiple toys before and one always takes a back seat and becomes garage art, she is right.
so..... is the c6zr1 "much" better than the c6z06? I know from having my c7z06 the power and delivery of is much better, so I would assume it is a vastly different driving experience c6z/c6zr1, but I'd like to know from people who have actually owned one. You wouldn't think (c4zr1><c6zr1) would be but this is actually a really tough decision of selling my C4, I've got this thing built to where it's just about perfect or as perfect as a C4 zr-1 can get imo.
thanks in advance for the input guys
i had a c4zr1, c6z06 and now c7z06. While I have not had a c6zr1 , I have always pondered a c6zr1. The question you might ask yourself is between the c6z06 and c7z06 which car did you prefer the feel of acceleration and characteristics of the engine more. The c7z or c6z. My preference is the normally aspirated motor and I would think the c7z06 might more closely resemble the c6zr1(even though the c6zr1 is probably a better performer ). As you like the power delivery of the c7z better then the c6z06 you’ll probably be happy with the c6zr1

I actually think rhe c6z06 is a better overall performer then the c7z06 in my use case of the car.

aa far the c4zr1 I would hang on to that.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-25-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

i had a c4zr1, c6z06 and now c7z06. While I have not had a c6zr1 , I have always pondered a c6zr1. The question you might ask yourself is between the c6z06 and c7z06 which car did you prefer the feel of acceleration and characteristics of the engine more. The c7z or c6z. My preference is the normally aspirated motor and I would think the c7z06 might more closely resemble the c6zr1(even though the c6zr1 is probably a better performer ).
I didn't mind the negatives associated with a sc car, the power of the c7z was obviously substantially more. With it being a roots type blower there isn't alot of low end delay. Both made good power. I think the c6zr1 might be the best combo of both?
do you regret selling your c4z?

Last edited by Snakeskinner2; 12-25-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:55 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I didn't mind the negatives associated with a sc car, the power of the c7z was obviously substantially more. With it being a roots type blower there isn't alot of low end delay. Both made good power. I think the c6zr1 might be the best combo of both?
do you regret selling your c4z?
yes I do from a collector perspective That car is the most unique of them all.

From a driver perspective in my opinion the c6z06 was just the right amount of old school and new school.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 12-25-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I’m an original owner of a ‘13 C6 ZR1. It’s a great car that has run flawlessly. Granted, it is a fair weather, garage queen with very low mileage. But again, it has been perfect. Not a squeak or rattle, and I like that!

I’ve driven C6 Z06’s and during regular commute-type drives found very little difference between the similarly equipped Z06 and ZR1.

I’ve never owned a C6 Z06. But I’ve driven both C6 base Z06’s and later year Z07 equipped Z06’s (C6’s). The ZO7 equipped C6 Z06 was the same look and interior as the ZR1. It’s this vehicle that seems very little different from a ZR1 in commute driving conditions.
I’d suggest a blindfolded passenger would think they’re in the same car when switched between the C6 Z07 Z06 and the C6 ZR1. They might suggest one has a slightly different exhaust. Kinda like telling the difference between grinds of coffee when you seldom drink coffee...

Being a bit more critical, I felt the ZR1 was more of a GT type vehicle. More compliant and relatively quiet when calmly driving about town. Ratchet up the magnetic ride shocks, and squeeze the throttle a little deeper when entering the highway and “Mr. Hyde” emerges. Knowing the vehicle’s power band, with the tach at the “sweet” spot, the throttle squeeze rockets the ZR1 forward with a supercharged boost not available in the Z06.
In similar around town driving conditions, the Z06 felt a little less GT. Again, small degrees of difference. The higher revving NA LS7 invited “wind the tach” fun. It felt a bit more “racey”. It seemed like the lite version of “Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde”. The Z07 Z06 struck me more as a weekend track car...maybe some GM marketing influence here

For me, the C6 Vettes are more analog in feel and tech operation compared to the C7 Z06’s and that’s fine for me.

Hopefully, you can test drive a ZR1 to help with your decision, particularly since you sound very happy with your C4 ZR-1.

Last edited by Vernon; 12-25-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:24 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by Vernon
I’m an original owner of a ‘13 C6 ZR1. It’s a great car that has run flawlessly. Granted, it is a fair weather, garage queen with very low mileage. But again, it has been perfect. Not a squeak or rattle, and I like that!

I’ve driven C6 Z06’s and during regular commute-type drives found very little difference between the similarly equipped Z06 and ZR1.

I’ve never owned a C6 Z06. But I’ve driven both C6 base Z06’s and later year Z07 equipped Z06’s (C6’s). The ZO7 equipped C6 Z06 was the same look and interior as the ZR1. It’s this vehicle that seems very little different from a ZR1 in commute driving conditions.
I’d suggest a blindfolded passenger would think they’re in the same car when switched between the C6 Z07 Z06 and the C6 ZR1. They might suggest one has a slightly different exhaust. Kinda like telling the difference between grinds of coffee when you seldom drink coffee...

Being a bit more critical, I felt the ZR1 was more of a GT type vehicle. More compliant and relatively quiet when calmly driving about town. Ratchet up the magnetic ride shocks, and squeeze the throttle a little deeper when entering the highway and “Mr. Hyde” emerges. Knowing the vehicle’s power band, with the tach at the “sweet” spot, the throttle squeeze rockets the ZR1 forward with a supercharged boost not available in the Z06.
In similar around town driving conditions, the Z06 felt a little less GT. Again, small degrees of difference. The higher revving NA LS7 invited “wind the tach” fun. It felt a bit more “racey”. It seemed like the lite version of “Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde”. The Z07 Z06 struck me more as a weekend track car...maybe some GM marketing influence here

For me, the C6 Vettes are more analog in feel and tech operation compared to the C7 Z06’s and that’s fine for me.

Hopefully, you can test drive a ZR1 to help with your decision, particularly since you sound very happy with your C4 ZR-1.

that's exactly what I was looking for. I've already decided it's going to be a c6zr1 over another c6z06, I'm just trying to decide if its worth giving up my c4z for it...🤔
Old 12-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

that's exactly what I was looking for. I've already decided it's going to be a c6zr1 over another c6z06, I'm just trying to decide if its worth giving up my c4z for it...🤔
May not be a factor but I’d suggest the C6 will depreciate more; the C4 less so.
Tough decisions reconciling considerations for the toy to keep/have since another will likely come along that is more appealing...and all this talk about “toys” on Christmas...

I have similar limitations on space and interest to enjoy multiple toys. When I change a pleasure vehicle, I want to feel pretty confident that I want the new toy more (voice to self is saying, “I sound so selfish...”...sorry to digress).
Presuming this vehicle is solely for pleasure, if the C4 is giving you the pleasure you seek, stick with it.
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

Originally Posted by Vernon

May not be a factor but I’d suggest the C6 will depreciate more; the C4 less so.
Tough decisions reconciling considerations for the toy to keep/have since another will likely come along that is more appealing...and all this talk about “toys” on Christmas...

I have similar limitations on space and interest to enjoy multiple toys. When I change a pleasure vehicle, I want to feel pretty confident that I want the new toy more (voice to self is saying, “I sound so selfish...”...sorry to digress).
Presuming this vehicle is solely for pleasure, if the C4 is giving you the pleasure you seek, stick with it.
Merry Christmas.
the c4z is an amazing car....its a tough decision for sure!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

If you can't keep both, then I would keep the C4 ZR1, ...even if I would miss the wife a little!!! LOL

I own a low mileage 2010 ZR1, and it is not my only Corvette. I have never driven the C6 Z06 so I can't provide a comparison between the two. But, it also sounds like you have already made the decision that another C6 Z06 is really not an option for you. So, let me give you some of the decision making process that I went through prior to buying my ZR1 two years ago. First, I enjoy all Corvettes but I don't want to own just any Corvette. I really like the Vettes that are more unusual. As an example, color, model, overall apperance, engine options, etc., are things that I look at before I buy another addition for my garage. For 26 years, I owned a '69 big block convertible, that was Riverside Gold (a one only year color). When I pulled into a car cruise, or car show, I knew there was not going to be another one like it. I also owned a C5 Z06 Commemorative Edition for 10 years, they made a total of 2025 of those cars. So, chances were that car was the only one at an event as well. Prior to buying my ZR1, I was looking at C6 Z06s, but to be honest, there was not much in the way of uniqueness for my liking. That is what put me on the path to a ZR1.

Performance wise, I can compare the C6 ZR1 to a C7 Z06. The ZR1 has twelve less horsepower, but it also comes in a couple hundred pounds lighter. So, it has a little bit better HP/weight ratio. I believe the C6 ZR1 is a tad quicker in a straight line, and probably one of the reasons you are seeing so many ZR1s being modified for the drags. The C7 Z06 has a little more sophistication on road courses because you are dealing with a platform that has newer technology. Since, I don't race my car either on a drag strip or a road course, the ZR1 had more uniqueness for me. So, I made my decision and searched for a low mileage car and it took a month or so to find the right one for me. Now, if I go to a car cruise or a show, normally, I am the only ZR1 there and the car draws some attention. C6 Z06 or C7 Z06, not so much!

Well, good luck with your decision! Everyone has their own criteria for picking what's right for them. Find the right car and get it into your garage. As a previous poster suggested, these cars have a Mr. Hyde side that will get anyone's attention!
The following users liked this post:
Tampa Tuning (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 03:51 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

How do you use your cars?

If you want a collector car that you shine up and only take to shows, keep the C4 since clean ones are fewer and farther between than C6s.

If you want a car you can enjoy driving and has more creature comforts with endless power, get the C6.

I have had a base C4, then a C5 Z06, and now a C6 ZR1. I've driven two C6 Z06s. My ZR1 is a 2013 so it was the final year of the C6 and therefore has the slightly upgraded interior. That makes a nice difference to me. I love driving the car, it's an amazing GT car in touring mode with the exhaust closed and the radio on. Then open the valves, put it in sport mode and it's a beast that can run with modern supercars.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:04 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Got tired of reading posts about guides, other ls7 problems and engine blowups for the z06, That alone is worth the switch to the ls9
The LS9 has guide wear issues as well...

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions from c6 zr1 owners

Old 12-26-2018, 04:29 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
The LS9 has guide wear issues as well...
heads based on the LS3, I sleep much, much better vs. the almost daily LS7 guides crap, bearings, lifter failures, and blowups.......Op should go ZR1 and never look back
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
GMJim
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 151 Posts

He said the TI rods were potentially a problem down the road too.....

Post 10.........and a few more..... https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iles-list.html

Last edited by GMJim; 12-26-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 PM
Snakeskinner2
Racer

I dont want this to turn into a z06/zr1 debate guys, I'm well aware of the issues these cars have, I've owned a 08 z06, was a great car and for the record I had zero problems with it. I am only looking for driving experience of the c6zr1.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Opinions from c6 zr1 owners