Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06 - My Definitive Position

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 11:08 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Default C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06 - My Definitive Position

The debate has raged on for years. Finally, after reading thread after thread comparing these two great cars, I decided to address the debate head-on. Both are great cars, and after seeing so much incorrect information continue to pop up on these threads, I have to take action. Please look out here for a series of videos, and I welcome your feedback. BTW - the content will be mirrored in the C7 Z06 forum, and we will see how differently it may be received. You may want to subscribe to this thread and the YouTube Channel so you don't miss any updates.

The cars: 2007 C6 Z06 (2LZ/TT). 2016 C7 Z06 (A8/Z07/3LZ).

The Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOa...ElHX_-iv2EJXCg

Last edited by tonypittman; 01-01-2019 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tonypittman:
Landru (01-01-2019), tonysz06 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 03:53 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

First vid is up.......

The following users liked this post:
tonysz06 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:14 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypittman
First vid is up.......

https://youtu.be/DqvbGNrH5W8
Good job Tony- looking forward to the rest of the series.
tonypittman (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Very cool!! I enjoyed that!!
tonypittman (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM
tonysz06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great vid TonyP. I have been a fan of your C6Z06 for many years. Its still one of my favorites..period.
In summary I agree with you. Preference is what it boils down to. I currently have a 2011 ZR1 and ould not trade it for any C7 including the C7ZR1.
Sure the newer versions have more up to date gadgets/nannies but I "PERFER" my old capable beyond my skills ZR1.
Looking forward to future videos. Again you have an outstanding C6 Z06 sir.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:20 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you. I'm sure you are enjoying that ZR1 - awesome machine.
tonysz06 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 10:50 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

I don't see how this is even worth comparing, just based on mechanical soundness of the 2 cars..
C6 - The "Valve Guides" issue is not supported at all from the outside and can result in a total loss of the car.
C7 - The overheating supercharger, and even if it actually exists (which it probably would not in my climate of the country), it is a fixable problem

The fact that you put a twin turbo on a stock C6 Corvette car, takes you out of the business of having an objective opinion on this. Financially and functionally, you have departed from being a consumer and become a "producer" of videos and cars.

I'll hold back on calling your video "click bait", but we are getting dangerously close to that here.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by BRISLS1
I don't see how this is even worth comparing, just based on mechanical soundness of the 2 cars..
C6 - The "Valve Guides" issue is not supported at all from the outside and can result in a total loss of the car.
C7 - The overheating supercharger, and even if it actually exists (which it probably would not in my climate of the country), it is a fixable problem

The fact that you put a twin turbo on a stock C6 Corvette car, takes you out of the business of having an objective opinion on this. Financially and functionally, you have departed from being a consumer and become a "producer" of videos and cars.

I'll hold back on calling your video "click bait", but we are getting dangerously close to that here.
Twin Turbos on the C6z doesn't make it quite an equal comparison -- Tony has this similar post on the C7z Forum. Most of the guys over have had a c6Z and now have a C7z including me. --- Most of those guys except me feel the c7z is superior. -

From my perspective:

Engine - High Rpm rush of the Ls7 is much more satisfying when I wring the cars out on my favorite stretches of road.
Interior - Dash ( i like the Dash of the c6Z more) Seats(I like the C7Z more)
Handling - I had good year run flats on the C6Z and the MPSS on my non-z07 C7 Z06. I think the c7Z feels wiggy down low 1st through the top of second gear. Probably due to the high torque.
Overall feel - C7 is a Cadillac feel and C6Z is sports car feel.
Curb appeal - The C7Z does get a little more attention from the younger folks and the gals like the C7Z look better. -- C6Z gets the nod from the old school gear heads.
How will the looks of the car age- C6Z in my opinion will age better -- C7Z will age like a disco ball and John Travolta's platform shoes from Saturday night fever.

Reliability/Maintenance over the long ?- this the big uestion - once the heads are addressed C6Z will probably be easier to maintain. For me it was just easier to get a C7Z then to deal with getting the heads fixed. That was a big part of my decision as I didn't want to deal with that and no one really knows definitively what the root cause is -- maybe the right fix is brodix heads.

C7Z downfall on maintenance will be:
- The direct injection,
- All the ancillary systems and radiators(this while helpful on the track) will be messy down the road with their propensity to leak
- The high tech dash - this is a real wild card on how this crap will hold up over the long haul with extreme heat and cold temperature changes and availability of parts.

The stock C7Z a8 does post better times quarter mile then the C6Z.
With the M7 in the C7Z its a drivers race in the quarter - then on up to 150mph, the C6Z will walk the C7Z.

a Fair on track comparison would be a stock Stage 1 C7Z Non-Z07 M7 or A8 and a C6Z Non-Z07 with no add on skirts or aero -- on the exact same tires for each car -- for 5 Laps.

Does this mean I hate my C7Z or will get rid of it tomorrow -- no it doesn't. After owning Both cars a while and being a "non" track guy - this is my observation.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-02-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Double Aught (01-04-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Fair warning...but baiting is not my intent here, though I do hope people like what I’ll have to show about both cars. I don’t see why I can’t have an objective opinion of the C6 Z06 because I modified mine. I drove it for serveral years, bone stock, after getting it new.

You may be surprised where my final views land on this!

Last edited by tonypittman; 01-02-2019 at 03:12 PM.
SocalChvy (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 04:47 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

LOL modifying a car now makes someone unqualified to having an opinion on one. I'm so glad the world doesn't conform to your rules because they don't make any sense.
Mr. Gizmo (01-02-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SocalChvy
LOL modifying a car now makes someone unqualified to having an opinion on one. I'm so glad the world doesn't conform to your rules because they don't make any sense.
Looking forward to Tony's final analysis on this great debate.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:09 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Sorry if I presented an unpopular opinion of the video. I really enjoyed the way it was shot, and it has value outside of the angle from which the author is approaching the subject.

The C7Z is that much different, and I don't buy that it is comparable to a C6Z, from somebody that doubles the output of an engine by taking absolutely nuclear risks and expense to make it that way

I have a bone stock C6 Z06. (I wonder how many of those even exist in the world today). I have roll-raced a C7Z from 45 mph, and it was as expected; the car with 200 more pounds of torque won, without breathing hard.

Or.. re-title the video "Modified C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06", then it makes some sense, but doesn't interest me to watch as much.

The Car & Driver results are (to me) not valid, in that they make the cars look a wheel length apart in races, where what I have seen, is 10 car lengths.

Thanks for letting me air my opinion on this. And feel free to post up a legit bone stock race video.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

I think the whole C6Z vs C7Z is stupid! Of course the C7 is better and should be, it cost more, it has years of technology and it newer! But that does not mean that everyone will like the C7 better than the C6, nor does it mean the C6 is not still and will always be a bad *** car! I had two C5Z's and they were and still are awesome cars! But the C6Z is better and should be than the C5Z. If I had the money, I would have a C5Z,C6Z and a C7Z. Which one is faster??? depends more on the driver than the car. Which one is more comfortable??? depends more on the owner than the car! I had a C7 Z51 and loved the car but my fat *** did not fit well in the C7 seats, but the C6 seats are more comfortable...TO ME, but may not be to another. Can't we all just get along and agree, it's a Z....and they are all AWESOME!

Last edited by iridelow; 01-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.
LuckyGuy (01-21-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 02:52 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Brother you are taking a beating over in the C7 section... Those guys are a little full of themselves... they certainly don't act that way when show them my tail lights...
Old 01-03-2019, 08:00 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Brother you are taking a beating over in the C7 section... Those guys are a little full of themselves... they certainly don't act that way when show them my tail lights...
yep those c7z guys over on that forum are a proud bunch.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Sorry if I presented an unpopular opinion of the video. I really enjoyed the way it was shot, and it has value outside of the angle from which the author is approaching the subject.

The C7Z is that much different, and I don't buy that it is comparable to a C6Z, from somebody that doubles the output of an engine by taking absolutely nuclear risks and expense to make it that way

I have a bone stock C6 Z06. (I wonder how many of those even exist in the world today). I have roll-raced a C7Z from 45 mph, and it was as expected; the car with 200 more pounds of torque won, without breathing hard.

Or.. re-title the video "Modified C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06", then it makes some sense, but doesn't interest me to watch as much.

The Car & Driver results are (to me) not valid, in that they make the cars look a wheel length apart in races, where what I have seen, is 10 car lengths.

Thanks for letting me air my opinion on this. And feel free to post up a legit bone stock race video.
Are you saying a c7z06 puts 10 car lengths on a c6z06. I have had both. And don’t believe that And on my favorite stretch of road to wring these things out the c7z comes up 8 to 10 mph short of what I could squeeze out my c6z. I must have had a very fast stock c6z06 compared to other stock c6z’s and now have a very slow stock c7z06 compared to other stock c7z m7’s.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-03-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:15 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

yep those c7z guys over on that forum are a proud bunch.
I see em beating on you too .. lol

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06 - My Definitive Position

Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

yep those c7z guys over on that forum are a proud touchy bunch.
fixt
TXGS507 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I appreciate your POV. I just want to be clear - I will be looking at the C6 Z06 as a platform and comparing it to the C7 Z06. Yes, my car has been heavily modified. But, I won't only be specifically comparing MY C6 Z06 to the C7 Z06. I agree - that would be of somewhat limited value. BTW, I'm not sure I would say I took a nuclear risk with my C6. Nuclear expense maybe, but not nuclear risk. Dallas Performance (when they did Corvettes) did great work, and they made sure to set the car up so that, even with a stock LS7, it would not simply go nuclear. After ~6+ years and lots of fun, I have to say that their work has stood the test of time...so far!

Last edited by tonypittman; 01-04-2019 at 09:45 AM.
tonysz06 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Well, thanks guys for listening to my opinion and staying civilized in your counter-arguments.

Point taken that the Dallas Performance upgrades may be "just that good" that the modification path can be perceived as merely an outlay of cash, not jeopardy for the car engine.

MrGizmo - I can only document what I have seen. I have done the comparison run on open "Mexico" highway, car beside car, and seen that result.

Considering other confirming or confusing facts/observations ..
Some magazine tests, for example, would make these cars almost equivalent based on tests run from a dead stop launch. These tests are out of date by about 30 years. Today's cars make so much power, that the real differences are only visible from a roll.. A ton of Googling around can show you some useful test results, albeit not perfect, where for example, the C7 does Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.2 sec while the C6Z does it 4.3 seconds. ( taken from - https://s3.amazonaws.com/amv-prod-ca...comparo-ts.pdf )

YouTube has a ton of GoPro videos where the techno-tube music starts and the C6Z pulls ahead, but these are all modified cars, so I don't know how to digest that.

Here is the full numbers for the C7Z from C&D. ( I could not find the exact same test listing for the C6Z )

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 160 mph: 22.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.1 sec @ 127 mph

Last edited by BRISLS1; 01-04-2019 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling edit, some deletes

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 vs C7 Z06 - My Definitive Position