Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What motor mounts with MSD intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Default What motor mounts with MSD intake

It appears my stock motor mounts are starting to leak, I have an msd intake on there now that is pretty close to the cowl (1/8") and I did have to grind the firewall/install button head bolts on the back of the intake to get it to clear. So my question is if I'm ok now should I go with std height mounts from Hinson or Amt or elect to go with the 3/8 drop ones. I am a little concerned that the new mounts will be slightly taller than my 10 year old oem ones and could pose issues. I havent found much info on anyone running stock height mounts with an msd either.....
Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I just installed the 3/8 shorter Hinson mounts to my set up with a MSD. I did put a washer (spacer) to make them 1/4" shorter. Everything looks good as far as clearance all around.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:30 AM
ecmoney775
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried the standard Hinson mounts but I was rubbing on the firewall...Installed the 3/8 shorter Hinsons and good to go
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Stock....

Old 01-05-2019, 09:22 AM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would go with either Hinson short or AMT short.
My mamo heads and MSD was wedged under the cowl causing knock with std height mounts. Much better now w the shorter Hinson mounts.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:49 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Fabberge solid mounts on mine.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Donzo6
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When you go to the shorter motor mounts do you have to go to shorter trans mounts as well? Another question. Im fairly new to this scene. You guys are only talking about replacing the bushing inswrt and not the metal mount that holds it as well ? Thanks

Old 01-05-2019, 10:44 AM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzo6
When you go to the shorter motor mounts do you have to go to shorter trans mounts as well? Another question. Im fairly new to this scene. You guys are only talking about replacing the bushing inswrt and not the metal mount that holds it as well ? Thanks
No you do not have to go with shorter trans mounts. The system does not work like a regular car would with worrying about pinion angle and what not.

Also to add to this, the hinson mounts have been mentioned a few times that they are a touch taller than stock mounts. I would go with the 3/8 shorter, whether it be hinson, AMT, or whoever else.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddy A
I just installed the 3/8 shorter Hinson mounts to my set up with a MSD. I did put a washer (spacer) to make them 1/4" shorter. Everything looks good as far as clearance all around.
I think you meant to type "longer"..

Shorter Hinson's with a spacer (to ensure the spring doesn't contact / put excessive force on the oil pan) for the win.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:10 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I had initially ordered standard AMT mounts, but the MSD wouldn't fit. I swapped them for the 3/8 shorter ones, and used 2 washers to ensure the spring didn't hit the oil pan as well.

FYI - Having seen the Hinson and AMT in person, the AMT blow them away in appearance and perceived quality. Cannot speak for long term durability, but damn, the AMT's are beautifully machined pieces!

Last edited by edmundu; 01-05-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I think you meant to type "longer"..

Shorter Hinson's with a spacer (to ensure the spring doesn't contact / put excessive force on the oil pan) for the win.
Sorry, I meant 1/4" shorter instead of 3/8" shorter. I figure it's better to get the shorter set because you can always add spacers to bring them up to OEM height if clearance is an issue.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:48 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Ended up ordering the 3/8" shorter AMT mounts. Nothing wrong with the Gibson's but I like the full metal design of the amt for heat reasons and the fact that there are no studs so install may be a little easier
Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 122 Posts

I am using the standard height Hinson mounts with MSD intake and they fit fine.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Yea I was really thinking about ordering the taller ones however I'd rather be able to shim them if needed than have them be too tall and have issues. My MSD is VERY close to the cowl now with the stockers
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by edmundu
I had initially ordered standard AMT mounts, but the MSD wouldn't fit. I swapped them for the 3/8 shorter ones, and used 2 washers to ensure the spring didn't hit the oil pan as well.

FYI - Having seen the Hinson and AMT in person, the AMT blow them away in appearance and perceived quality. Cannot speak for long term durability, but damn, the AMT's are beautifully machined pieces!
Did you notice any more NVH in the car running these mount compared to stock?

I think running the shorter mount is good insurance with the slightly taller aftermarket intakes and its easy to increase height than try to remove with a stock height aftermarket mount as others have mentioned

-Tony

Old 01-12-2019, 07:48 AM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

It is strange how some people have problems and others don’t. I run the taller mounts with an MSD intake and my MSD doesn’t touch the firewall.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:32 AM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wonder if the aftermarket heads change the height.....

Get notified of new replies

To What motor mounts with MSD intake

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Did you notice any more NVH in the car running these mount compared to stock?

I think running the shorter mount is good insurance with the slightly taller aftermarket intakes and its easy to increase height than try to remove with a stock height aftermarket mount as others have mentioned

-Tony
There are some added vibrations transferred into the chassis. You feel a tingling in the seats at idle, and some of the plastic trim will buzz a little. But as soon as you get off idle, it is next to imperceptible.

But the instant response of the engine to your right foot is very noticeable
Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by edmundu
There are some added vibrations transferred into the chassis. You feel a tingling in the seats at idle, and some of the plastic trim will buzz a little. But as soon as you get off idle, it is next to imperceptible.

But the instant response of the engine to your right foot is very noticeable
Good input....thats pretty much what I would have expected

Originally Posted by lamboworld
It is strange how some people have problems and others don’t. I run the taller mounts with an MSD intake and my MSD doesn’t touch the firewall.
Its due to the location of the car's body on the chassis.....while everything that bolts to the chassis will typically be in the same place, the actual body itself can be (and is) in slightly different locations from car to car (naturally that includes the firewall and cowl as well) . When something has very little room/clearance to begin with.....losing an 1/8 or even a 1/16 of an inch can mean the difference of an intake manifold making contact or not making contact.

I will be posting a thread soon with a discussion about this concerning some MSD customers experiencing the intake making contact at the rear of the manifold (not the top) and I will be modding the intakes I sell and port for customers in the future to help them avoid this nuisance issue after the fact.

I will post some pics as well.....while its a small percentage of customers that experience it, its still one of those items that if it can be avoided it is certainly a very welcomed situation to not have to deal with (or should I say have a much greater chance of not dealing with it).

Keep an eye out for that thread in a few days....Im waiting in a special shallow head bolt to arrive that I am also using in the problematic location to give even more clearance/protection against making contact.

Note ALL of what I just discussed is regarding the occasional rear contact point of the MSD against the firewall although the mounts that lower the engine some would help fix or improve that situation as well as the tight area under the cowl

Regards,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-12-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:24 PM
lamboworld
Burning Brakes

Tony you are probably right about these cars being slightly different.

However, I bet you that none of the 3 German cars that I also own have any variation.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What motor mounts with MSD intake