Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts
Default California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective!

seeing if any of you Cali guys might be lawyers or cops also, the bill reads very subjective and sounds like the not so sharpe constituents of California have just give the state a “May issue” subjective authority to extort $1k from damn near anyway if they “feel” like it, and now it’s on the tax payer to take the time to go and fight the citation in court! Unbelievable California......I’m also curious on a personal level being I’ll be living there in the future but my active duty military status makes it where I WILL NOT ever have to tag/register or insure in California, I’ll be keeping all vehicles tagged/registered/insured in my home state of record. So I guess the question is do any of these ridiculous laws apply to 100% current/legal cars from another state that’s not communist? I was very confident in the military exemptions before this law was passed knowing I’d never be subjected to California smog/emissions inspections and never needing a Cali tag or license.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

This was all over the M3 forum yesterday too.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604492
Both sites are owned by IB, hopefully they'll let me link.
From my understanding, it's not exactly a new law, it just raises the fine. Adding ALOT more incentive for the *sshole municipal money grabbers.
Just what we needed, another vague law that can (and will) be selectively enforced.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:57 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nowanker
This was all over the M3 forum yesterday too.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=604492
Both sites are owned by IB, hopefully they'll let me link.
From my understanding, it's not exactly a new law, it just raises the fine. Adding ALOT more incentive for the *sshole municipal money grabbers.
Just what we needed, another vague law that can (and will) be selectively enforced.
yeah I think that’s where I read a lot of this, I think the law says over 95 decibels and I’m curios if now all cops will be equipped o measure exhaust decibels....a dude in a bone stock M5 I believe was ticketed already and of course he’ll when in court but thats a deliberate violation of the state against tax paying citizens. Now this guy has to go to court and fight it. Pretty sure every Harley Davidson will be over 95 decibels as well.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Jeezus H! Go after working people that pay taxes right? Anyone remember the leaf blower ban and how that played out?
I cant stand this state more and more....its destroyed this hobby for sure. First chance I get I am OUT .

Mine measures 91 db, have a super quiet set of 22" mufflers in a box but even if i stuck them on I can get penailized for headers? Not putting manifolds on a 560hp engine.
Ill let it sit for anotehr yr, 2 yrs til I get out of here and find some unincorporated town to live in.

I stopped by one of those roadside checks in Chatsworth a few yrs back. They are mainly looking for cars that are overly loud (kids, ricers). I was told they understand old cars;/hot rods and as long as you arent acting the fool at 3am youll be fine. CHP is another story, they are stricter than strict. It just aint right. How bout going after welfare fraud, something worthwhile. Nope that would cause riots

Last edited by cv67; 01-09-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

http://www.bikersrights.com/states/c.../chp98100.html
Someone posted a summary of this on the M3 board.
Might be worthwhile to print and keep a copy in the glovebox to show officer Opie...
On second thought, probably get you arrested.
Sorry to stereotype our traffic enforcement officers. I calls 'em as I sees 'em...
Although I have encountered a few pretty reasonable ones here and there.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
So I guess the question is do any of these ridiculous laws apply to 100% current/legal cars from another state that’s not communist? I was very confident in the military exemptions before this law was passed knowing I’d never be subjected to California smog/emissions inspections and never needing a Cali tag or license.
I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

Edit: link to Bill https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
What has changed is is that it used to be a "fix it" ticket. Now it's a mandatory fine, unless it can be and is corrected on the spot.

Last edited by nuke61; 01-09-2019 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MikeOC (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:31 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuke61
I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:
Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.

Edit: link to Bill https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824
What has changed is is that it used to be a "fix it" ticket. Now it's a mandatory fine, unless it can be and is corrected on the spot.
I sent a good bit of this info to my little sister(lawyer) trying to get clarification for my personal situation, but reading what you posted it appears I’m in the clear being I will not be subject to California registration.....I have a feeling it’s not gonna that simple though....seems like making a folder to keep in the vette with all the legal documents about the bill and the active duty military exemptions along with orders is going to be a must....still probably won’t mean I won’t be taking off work to go prove the state wrong.....and that’s the trifecta of government wasting tax payers money....military guy being paid by the tax pay, cop and all players involved at court all wasting tax payers money....unbelievable
Old 01-09-2019, 01:17 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG

I sent a good bit of this info to my little sister(lawyer) trying to get clarification for my personal situation, but reading what you posted it appears I’m in the clear being I will not be subject to California registration.....I have a feeling it’s not gonna that simple though....seems like making a folder to keep in the vette with all the legal documents about the bill and the active duty military exemptions along with orders is going to be a must....still probably won’t mean I won’t be taking off work to go prove the state wrong.....and that’s the trifecta of government wasting tax payers money....military guy being paid by the tax pay, cop and all players involved at court all wasting tax payers money....unbelievable
What will happen is that if a cop feels like ticketing you that day, you'll get a ticket....then its up to you on your dime and time to go to the court house to get it waived, if at all possible.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
What will happen is that if a cop feels like ticketing you that day, you'll get a ticket....then its up to you on your dime and time to go to the court house to get it waived, if at all possible.

This is correct. This change was mainly made to combat sideshows and "take overs" and other stupid ****. If you are involved in that you are screwed and it will spill over into cars and coffee scenarios etc where there are large gatherings. I suspect some stock exotics may get the ticket if CHP is having a bad day as well. However, if you are just driving and minding your own business and not being egregious it probably won't be any more of an issue then it was in years past.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:36 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I built on an acre lot that's in a county island within the city of Peoria, AZ, just to avoid all the BS and extra taxes/expenses that cities and HOA's force upon homeowners. I also bought a second acre nearby, which I'm about ready to sell. Any CA guys ready to move yet?

Last edited by HOXXOH; 01-09-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:44 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
yeah that’s what I’m planning for, don’t see away around it....hopefully it doesn’t end up wasting too many of my days going to court to tell them **** they should already know🙄

Last edited by 73DBG; 01-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:40 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=nuke61;1598651182]I can't answer the legal question, but the actual Bill reads:

The way this reads it almost looks like any type of NPP system would be illegal. Guess I'll have to run my muffler mod exhaust on quite in the city.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

It's an automatic state ref as well, is it not? To my understanding, state ref tickets used to be separate. Now if a cop "thinks" your exhaust is too loud, they can pull you over (which opens up pandora's box of profiling and targeting). If you do get a ticket, to my understanding, it's an automatic $1k fine AND automatic state ref inspection.

Here is the current petition to get it reversed. Here is where you can donate to increase awareness: https://www.change.org/f/to-compensa...edium=copylink
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by moose.b3
The way this reads it almost looks like any type of NPP system would be illegal. Guess I'll have to run my muffler mod exhaust on quite in the city.
The bypass is referring to bypassing the muffler; the stock NPP doesn't bypass the muffler, it just re-routes it through another passageway in the muffler.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Originally Posted by theandrewo
It's an automatic state ref as well, is it not? To my understanding, state ref tickets used to be separate. Now if a cop "thinks" your exhaust is too loud, they can pull you over (which opens up pandora's box of profiling and targeting). If you do get a ticket, to my understanding, it's an automatic $1k fine AND automatic state ref inspection.
I don't think that's what it says. If you get pulled over and cited, you will have to go to an inspection station to determine if you exceed the 95dB limit. If so, then a judge can fine you up to $1000 - UNLESS you are found to have a modified exhaust (muffler) -- a modified exhaust is a disqualifying action, and they skip the inspection station and send you straight to the judge.

I think it's really targeted toward the guys who do muffler deletes, add those stupid whistles to their exhaust tips, or stuff like the flame thrower additions.

Last edited by nuke61; 01-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:41 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nuke61
The bypass is referring to bypassing the muffler; the stock NPP doesn't bypass the muffler, it just re-routes it through another passageway in the muffler.
I think this bill skips the state ref part the way it reads, but that seems to be only for vehicles subjected to state inspections, my personal situation I would not be subject to any of that or a state ref. This law does suck for sure I’m just trying to make sure my exemption is good to go before I move out there, I’m fairly certain I’m personally in the clear but I don’t think that means I’m not gonna have to waste time proving that unfortunately
Old 01-09-2019, 08:52 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I built on an acre lot that's in a county island within the city of Peoria, AZ, just to avoid all the BS and extra taxes/expenses that cities and HOA's force upon homeowners. I also bought a second acre nearby, which I'm about ready to sell. Any CA guys ready to move yet?
I moved from Cali to Las Vegas two month ago. So glad I did.

Get notified of new replies

To California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I feel for you guys living in the communistic state. I travel to LA and Sacramento on biz every now and then. Prices are ridiculous.
i couldn’t imagine the hassle of dealing with traffic everyday & the cost of owning cars and a house there.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 01-10-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Peter Zachen
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Jeezus H! Go after working people that pay taxes right? Anyone remember the leaf blower ban and how that played out?
I cant stand this state more and more....its destroyed this hobby for sure. First chance I get I am OUT .

Mine measures 91 db, have a super quiet set of 22" mufflers in a box but even if i stuck them on I can get penailized for headers? Not putting manifolds on a 560hp engine.
Ill let it sit for anotehr yr, 2 yrs til I get out of here and find some unincorporated town to live in.

I stopped by one of those roadside checks in Chatsworth a few yrs back. They are mainly looking for cars that are overly loud (kids, ricers). I was told they understand old cars;/hot rods and as long as you arent acting the fool at 3am youll be fine. CHP is another story, they are stricter than strict. It just aint right. How bout going after welfare fraud, something worthwhile. Nope that would cause riots

Living near busy road, i love cars and modifying stuff, but people with look at me exhaust driving by 100 times a day get to ya. Never understood why anyone would install a straight pipe or loud muffler, its just dumb and uncivilized. Highly support the new law.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I feel for you guys living in the communistic state. I travel to LA and Sacramento on biz every now and then. Prices are ridiculous.
i couldn’t imagine the hassle of dealing with traffic everyday & the cost of owning cars and a house there.
agree. mudslides, earthquakes, fires and drought... good times

Quick Reply: California AB 1824 exhaust bill...$1k subjective!