Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] ZR1 Issue wont rev up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 02:06 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjsn250
So that lid has been on/off a bunch, as have a bunch of items on that motor, including the valve covers. If you have not had the lid off yourself, pull it and make sure the bricks have been reinforced. Also, if you have not done so already do a compression and leak down test. I would not be surprised if the blower was ported already. Other questions, how many miles are on it, whats the VIN and if you don't mind saying what did you pay for it?
I did pull the lid out too see the bricks, Was the first thing I did and send a couple of pics for Kong.Kong said that the bricks seems good but I could change them in the future. Compression and leak I have not tested yet. I personally think that the blower is not ported. It doesn't seems like ported. The car has 11,974 miles. The first owner sold it with 6712 miles. And I payed under $21,000 US for my ZR1 with the 3RZ package.

https://topcheapcar.com/car/Used-201...YN2DT5A5800343 Here is the car. The car was in 1 accident at DENVER CO. Thats what the car fax says.

I am trying these days to see if I can find the previous owner that had the car in Colorado.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
I'm assuming that from the early description by the OP that the engine consistently dies/stalls at about 2000rpm.
Sorry if I missed the answer to this question, but have you watched what the supercharger pressure gauge does at the moment the engine stops? Or can you distinguish between cause and effect at that point? I mean that it may be that engine dies because of there being no pressure, or, it could mean that the engine died and the result is the supercharger stops putting out???

When the engine dies, does it cough/sputter, or does it sound like there is a vacuum leak at that point, or any point?

Nick
When starting the engine it runs normally (for me) It sounds like it has a cam in it. it does not shut off till when I hit the throttle. The gauge of the supercharger works, it come up/in the middle. It will be easier if I can record and send you video. So you can hear and see what it does. Do you have any email address? or Instagram,facebook? Let me know bro.

Thx for your time again.

-Jonathan.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:39 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Can't you post it on YouTube? We need to see the gauge moving as the RPM's are slowly coming up and what happens to the gauge at the point just before it stalls and at the point when it stalls; along with the sounds the engine makes at that moment...
Old 01-16-2019, 02:51 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Can't you post it on YouTube? We need to see the gauge moving as the RPM's are slowly coming up and what happens to the gauge at the point just before it stalls and at the point when it stalls; along with the sounds the engine makes at that moment...
No man, I don't have a youtube account or anything like that. I have Instagram and Facebook or email address and Whatsapp.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:56 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, so post it to Facebook and post the link here.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:42 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

OK, so post it to Facebook and post the link here.
Ok, I'm gonna try to do that.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanZr1
And I payed under $21,000 US for my ZR1 with the 3RZ package.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:06 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Whats wrong???
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanZr1
Whats wrong???
Nothing...that's just crazy cheap for a ZR1 of any trim level. Was it a salvage title or something?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:09 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I think he's saying that if you don't find anything major and manage to get it working properly for a few thousand $, it was a nice find. I agree...
Old 01-16-2019, 04:19 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Nothing...that's just crazy cheap for a ZR1 of any trim level. Was it a salvage title or something?
I was thinking that even for a salvage or flood damage, that's less than any I've seen. Holy crap, man.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:21 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Yes man, Before that the car was going on 30's HIGH But on one day in December my lucky came to me. I was the happiest guy in the world on that day bro. Did not know that the car had the 3RZ package. It had damage in the left front. no other damage on it car was complete.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

I think he's saying that if you don't find anything major and manage to get it working properly for a few thousand $, it was a nice find. I agree...
Yes I know. That's why I risk it bro. For that price and the car of my dreams I will not in the world find another one like this.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
I was thinking that even for a salvage or flood damage, that's less than any I've seen. Holy crap, man.
No it's not flood damage. Bought the car fax before buying the car.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Here is the link man. Asked a friend of mine to put it on his channel. Made the video today.

Let me know guys

Thx again
Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Your boost only gets to zero and never goes positive. At the time the boost goes to zero, there's a bang like sound??? Then under the hood there is that squealing sound that sounds like a slipping belt (you did put a new one on and it's easy to get one that's too long).

Need to know what causes that bang and you need to check the tension on the belt or find the source of the squeal.

In any case, you're not getting any real boost.

Fixing the above may or may not fix the issue, but it will help get to the ultimate fix.

Just some information for your next video:
your video would have been better if you had used a landscape/horizontal view so we could see the entire gauge cluster/DIC. And the focus looked like it was on the steering wheel and not the gauges and that didn't help.

Last edited by pcguy2u; 01-17-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:51 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Any way the belt is misrouted and turning the compressor backwards?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 Issue wont rev up!

Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 AM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Your boost only gets to zero and never goes positive. At the time the boost goes to zero, there's a bang like sound??? Then under the hood there is that squealing sound that sounds like a slipping belt (you did put a new one on and it's easy to get one that's too long).

Need to know what causes that bang and you need to check the tension on the belt or find the source of the squeal.

In any case, you're not getting any real boost.

Fixing the above may or may not fix the issue, but it will help get to the ultimate fix.

Just some information for your next video:
your video would have been better if you had used a landscape/horizontal view so we could see the entire gauge cluster/DIC. And the focus looked like it was on the steering wheel and not the gauges and that didn't help.
That bang sound is a clap that the engine makes, like a backfire or something. Does not come any flames or anything like that but claps really hard. I don't know if I have some fuel (E85) in the tank. I thought it was empty first so I tanked it with super. Maybe mixing fuel with super will make that backfire? That's why I want to put the DSX fuel sensor on it to see what will happen. Because that clap sound means 1 thing, (for me) It can be that the car is getting to much gas.

Yes I did put a new belt. Before buying that belt, Kong performance asked me what where my mods and told him that I only had the crank pulley and stock S/C pulley and then he sended me that nr of belt that I should buy.

I will make a new video today and send it again man. No prob.

Thx for your opinion bro. Appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:00 AM
JonathanZr1
Advanced

Originally Posted by exracer28
Any way the belt is misrouted and turning the compressor backwards?
Uhmmm. I've checked the belt diagram and it's the same.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:32 AM
Texasthunder
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 381 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm wondering ,with the flex fuel sensor missing, if it is running out of fuel.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] ZR1 Issue wont rev up!