Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Rebuild" Long version/Pic/Video Heavy.....

Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts
Default "Rebuild" Long version/Pic/Video Heavy.....

Picked this bad boy up in late March of 2018 My first ever Corvette!!!

2006 ZO6 BLK/BLK 2LZ 14k miles($35K)

Mods I purchased it with
P1SC1 Procharger 6 rib w/4.10 blower pulley
Kooks LT headers and X-Pipe
Comp Cam 115 .653/.660 Duration 231/251
Fast 65# Injectors
Kenne Bell BAP

Before and after Pictures/numbers and video all below if you just wanna skip to that lol

About a week after I got it home I brought it to a local shop with the advice of a friend/co-worker(turned out to be a huge mistake!) reason for going up there was to have them check the car out and see what had and had not been done. I was informed the heads appeared to have not been addressed at this time. The local shop offered a vague fix but luckily I sought out a better option. They did some minor work over the next month or so, installed my BOV very poorly, put man fan and exhaust on….also pretty half ***! I’d find out later on how many short cuts and how incompetent this place was unfortunately. I did my research using all the information I could find about LS7 head fixes, narrowed my list to three shops/companies and called all three to speak with them. All of my top three would have been a great choice in my opinion, everyone I spoke with was professional and seemed to want my business but one place stood a little taller than the rest and made my decision bit easier. I was extremely impressed with Khole@ American Heritage Performance and his customer service was the defining factor for me. While I was waiting on my heads to ship(paid the core charge) I heard a loud ticketing noise coming from the engine one day on base, shut it down had it towed to the shop I was using( I refer to them as the “Clown Shop” now….anyway turns out I had three cracked valve springs which when Khole got my old heads said looked like an over rev but could have been a few things….this car turns out had all factory internal in the valve train so yeah….a blower and cam with zero supporting mods…..cracked valve springs was actually getting off easy. So now the rebuild began….I decided to go back with a new cam and this lead to the motor being pulled and while the block was out it went to a machine shop for a “check up” found some wear on the pistons and cam bearings so a complete bottom end refresh was my course of action at that point. Sending the block to the machine shop ended up being what saved this entire build ironically. Eberts Engines and Machine did an amazing job they actually needed up putting the entire engine back together and recommended I take my car to a new shop upon completion. I tried my best to give the “clown shop” a chance to at least drop in a fully built motor but after the car had been there for almost 4 months(27 days with a fully assembled engine) and several mishaps and bold face lies I pulled the car and had it towed to the shop I was referred to. Keep in mind I paid the “Clown Shop” half the quoted total upfront($1500) and the remainder of the bill the day the flatbed showed up to take it out($1900). So 4 months and just under 4k got me a basically nothing, the car was incomplete and was not running when I wrote that last check! Choose your shops wisely gentleman and don’t make this costly mistake…..it makes me sick every time I think about it!

Nick Sherlock@Boosted Innovations is the owner and lead guy over there, he took care of the half *** incomplete amateur work done by the “Clown Shop” got the car together and back in my garage where it belongs. I did the break in milage and brought back for the final tune and dyne and they did an amazing job!! We had to keep it safe since my fuel system wasn’t able to keep up, but a few week later a forum member named Brian came through with an Alkycontrol kit for a sick deal and provided a solid 10 hours of technical support helping me install the kit myself! After the kit was in I went back to Nick and he worked his magic! The car made some pretty damn impressive numbers and those will speak for themselves below.

American Heritage Performance: These guys are top notch and I understand maybe some people get tired of hearing about how awesome Khole and the boys out there are, I’d respond theres a reason for that and don’t take my word or anyone else’s…..just give them a call if you need anything along these lines and get back to us on your experience….we’ll wait…..

Bob@Cam Motion: This guy made a really sick cam that just makes all the parts work in harmony, very professional and apparently know how to make one hell of a blower cam!

Brian and Josh @ Eberts Engine and Machine: This father and son duo were awesome to work with, I got daily updates on progress and if things didn’t go according to plan I knew about within minutes! They hit every timeline and did one hell of a job building this engine! Much appreciated fellas!

Anthony ”Mordeth” Nick: This guy reached out to me when he saw what I was going through, sent me his cell number and has been my “unofficial all things corvette guy” ever since! Dudes a straight shooter and just a solid human in my opinion. The world and forum can use more guys like this this for sure.

This entire forum has been a real blessing, I’ve learned a ton and plan to keep it going. Theres several guys on here who go out of there way to provide technical answers and real world experience to those of us looking for it, and for that I’m thankful, I know some of you guys may get tired of answering the same questions over and over but I assure you the time and energy you guys spend on here is not a waste and I’m extremely grateful for all that information being shared on here!

I know its a novel, but it was one hell of journey that just couldn’t be summed up briefly….lots of pictures and videos will hopefully make up for that lol.

Parts List for the "Rebuild" {I have all reciepts from this list if anyone is looking for where to find and best pricing, shipping or customer servive. I sourced damn near every part on my own so I have a good idea of where to get some of the best deals if anyone is looking.}

F/I ,cooling,Cam and supporting mods
P1SC1 Procharger/8 Rib kit (3.7” Blower pulley)
A&A blower bracket for Procharger head unit
Innovators West 10% OD harmonic balancer
LSXperts dual crank pin kt
Cam Motion 7.775 3/8th .135 push rods(Hardened)
8 rib gates micro v belt
Dallas Performance Big mouth blower intake w/ shroud
Dewitts Short cut radiator
Prospeed dual spal fan
Tial Q 50mm BOV
Cam Motion 8620CNC custom grind blower cam 118+4 LSA .649/.632 Duration 234/254

Heads/Top end internals
AHP Package 4 LS7 heads(street port and chamber softening) .010mil
Ferrea Hollow SS exhaust valves
Polished Treated Ti intake valves
Performance valve job
New Vinton valve seats
Johnson 2110 SLD lifters
Che Bronze trunnion DIY upgrade kit
BTR Dual valve springs .660 lift titanium retainers
MLS LS7 head gaskets
Header Gaskets
ARP head studs
MSD plug wires and heat shield
NGK BR7 spark plugs
MSD plug wires and heat shield

Block internals and machine work
Racetec forged 2816 pistons w/stainless steel piston rings(Hellfire)
ARP cracked rod bolts/ARP main studs/ARP cam bolt/ARP flywheel bolts
Clevite coated main/Rod/Cam bearings
GMP front timing cover and gaskets
New Oil Pan gaskets/pick up tube
Honed block w/plate 4.130
Pin fit piston rings
Balanced assembly
Polished Crankshaft

Oiling
New LS7 EOC w/lines and dry sump tank lines(everything oil went through basically)
New GMP LS7 oil pump
Mighty Mouse Wild catch can

Exhaust system
Elite engineering tunnel shield with thermal insulator
Kooks 1 7/8ths long tube headers
Kooks x-pipe/mid pipe no cats
Billy Boat bullets exhaust

Drive trian, gauges and electronics
McLoad RXT twin disc(organic) clutch stainless steel billet fly wheel By McLoad
MGW shifter with gripper shifter
Raptor shift light/launch control
Dashlogic, AEM boost and wide band AFR gauge
Dragy GPS Performance meter

Fueling/system
Injector dynamics 1300
A&A stage II auxiliary fuel system for E85
Kenne Bell BAP
Flexfuel sensor
Alkycontrol dual nozzle kit

Exterior/body and paint
Powder coated factory wheels
2 stage paint correction and 7 year ceramic coat(Flight Shield)
C7 Carbon Fiber ZR1 spoiler
Carbon center console
Padded ZO6 console lid
Hydro Carbon air inlets/ducts
Eagle Eye tail lights
Custom crossed flags and ZO6 badges
CCW race classic 17x11 M&H racemasters 325/45/17 rear wheel set up

Before

On the drive home from the dealership(March 18'

old dyno number that came with the car

2006 ZO6 2LZ BLK/BLK

Racetec Forged LS7 Pistons

AHP LS7 Heads

Cam Motion custom blower cam card

Blockat Eberts Engines

"Finished" product

Insurance comapny taking it from the "clown show shop"

Making some bald eagles!

dyno data

Still working the driver mod...

Last edited by 73DBG; 03-07-2020 at 11:28 AM. Reason: parts list added
The following users liked this post:
thetastelingers (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:44 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Here goes some video....

The P1SC1 putting down series bald eagles! 🦅 🦅🦅🦅

Definitely over shot our expectations that’s for sure.

Last edited by 73DBG; 01-14-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:10 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

That is one heck of a powerful car brother, congrats, glad it all finally worked out for you, thanks for sharing all of the info.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
That is one heck of a powerful car brother, congrats, glad it all finally worked out for you, thanks for sharing all of the info.
Thnaks man! If at least one person can avoid some of the **** I went through by this thread it’ll be worth something.

Choosing the wrong wrong shop has some serious consequences....expensive ones...on the other hand choosing the right parts and shop/tuner can be a game changer.🇺🇸

Last edited by 73DBG; 01-14-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

That 60-130 pull reminded me of something out of Forza, wow! Nice build!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigVette427
That 60-130 pull reminded me of something out of Forza, wow! Nice build!
Thats the “Dragy” and when you record video using the app that’s how it displays, pretty damn cool little gadget.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Just realized the parts list for the rebuild isn’t on here, about to edit and throw them up...🤦🏻*♂️
Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Well done. Imagine what it would make with a bigger blower and/or e85.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:35 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patriot Six
Well done. Imagine what it would make with a bigger blower and/or e85.
we’ll I’m trying to bait Procharger into sending us that new P1X and the race intercooler set up.....curious to what number my car as is would make with that set up.....

I’lm ready for E85 just need a decent aux set up....I don’t want to go over low 900whp
Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG

we’ll I’m trying to bait Procharger into sending us that new P1X and the race intercooler set up.....curious to what number my car as is would make with that set up.....

I’lm ready for E85 just need a decent aux set up....I don’t want to go over low 900whp
You spelt D1X wrong...

Kidding aside, glad the car is actually solid now and you didn't have a much longer time suffering with the other idiots.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:13 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Again, amazing build...must've cost a few nickels.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mykream
You spelt D1X wrong...

Kidding aside, glad the car is actually solid now and you didn't have a much longer time suffering with the other idiots.
I hear ya man! It was a nightmare but the ending turned out well. As for the D1....if I buy a bigger blower it will definitely be a D1SC or D1X for sure, now if I could convince or persuade @Procharger to “donate” that new P1X to see what it can do we’d damn sure take it lol. 800-900whp on a D series is just a given.....P series it’s a decent accomplishment I know I haven’t seen many or any P1SC1 with my similar set go over 800whp, seen some A&A guys on here in that range, it’s a long shot but ya never know.....
Old 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Again, amazing build...must've cost a few nickels.
You damn well know it did lol.....snow balled in a hurry, didn’t plan on spending that kind of money when I bought it luckily the wife was cool for the most part and went with the I’d rather not know “how much” strategy.....it did help I laid for her Lexus in cash.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:30 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Great Build!
All the right components with all the right Experts!
Amazing what happens when the formula is correct!!!

Seriously 73DGB that thing is an absolute BEAST!!! Not to mention she is one nice looking C6z06 to boot!

We have the same DC Dyno and 4 post here in our shop!

Maybe I missed it but what rubbers are you running?

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...67528316953640/
Old 01-22-2019, 08:00 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American Heritage
Great Build!
All the right components with all the right Experts!
Amazing what happens when the formula is correct!!!

Seriously 73DGB that thing is an absolute BEAST!!! Not to mention she is one nice looking C6z06 to boot!

We have the same DC Dyno and 4 post here in our shop!

Maybe I missed it but what rubbers are you running?

https://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...67528316953640/
I’ve got Nitto NTO5R’s on the factory 19’s for now but I’m asking too much of them so a change is the future, I’d like to keep the 345 look so I’m leaning toward an 18x12 with some Mickey 345/35/18 I know 17x11’s will work but I think I’m gonna try the 18x12’s and as I get better at driving this beast it should work out....maybe lol boosted vette problems you know! I’m gonna be out your way almost all of March so I’m plan on trying to stop by the shop if possible!

Thansk again bro! You guys were awesome!

......and what’s up with those valve covers 🤔
Old 01-28-2019, 06:52 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I’ve got Nitto NTO5R’s on the factory 19’s for now but I’m asking too much of them so a change is the future, I’d like to keep the 345 look so I’m leaning toward an 18x12 with some Mickey 345/35/18 I know 17x11’s will work but I think I’m gonna try the 18x12’s and as I get better at driving this beast it should work out....maybe lol boosted vette problems you know! I’m gonna be out your way almost all of March so I’m plan on trying to stop by the shop if possible!

......and what’s up with those valve covers ��

I think those MTs would fit the bill perfectly!!!

Sent you an Email on the valve covers!

Last edited by American Heritage; 01-28-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:59 PM
mykream
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 128 Posts

......and what’s up with those valve covers 🤔
I would suggest against the 345/35 mickey.. They've had issues of them spinning on the wheel. I suggest the 325/35 et street r. Much better option.

Get notified of new replies

To "Rebuild" Long version/Pic/Video Heavy.....

Old 01-28-2019, 07:17 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mykream
I would suggest against the 345/35 mickey.. They've had issues of them spinning on the wheel. I suggest the 325/35 et street r. Much better option.
well that’s unfortunate to hear! Cause if I can’t run the 345 I’ll just get 17x11’s and be done with it. Thanks for the info man!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:20 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by American Heritage
I think those MTs would fit the bill perfectly!!!

Sent you an Email on the valve covers!
emails returned.....”test subjects” will be sent your way tomorrow! I’ll send a tracking number too! I’m extremely excited about this!!! You trying to keep this little experiment classified for the time being? 🤔
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

Amazing build. Congrats on what looks to be a great outcome. Sounds awesome as well!!

Any traction at all in 2nd or nothing? Sounds like you used 3rd and 4th only for the 60-130 pull. Any plans on any 1/2 mile or mile racing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] "Rebuild" Long version/Pic/Video Heavy.....