Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Another spoiler and side skirt thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:54 PM
badams1897
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another spoiler and side skirt thread

So I need advice.

I have a front spoiler on my car that mimics the carbon fiber front ZR1 splitter its just black flat plastic that is made to be painted.

I ordered these on ebay yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-13-C...53.m2749.l2649

My question is I am going to bring to paint shop, what should I have them painted as? Glossy black? Is there a durable paint for that? I know my painter can help but wondering forum opinion. The kit I ordered comes with hardware too. I assume they bolt on?
Old 01-28-2019, 02:08 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I just installed these. You might want to test fit them first before painting them. You'll have to rivet them to the flare in the back, rear fender, and to the rocker panel. This is how they are installed in a ZR1 from the factory, so don't freak out about it.

Edit: I noticed you bought the ABS plastic version instead of fiberglass. It's a little bit heavier, but probably more flexible. I was able to add body screws on the front and rear fenders, but I had to use rivets on the rocker panel. Yours might be made with more material on the ends.

Last edited by freddyvette; 01-28-2019 at 02:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
badams1897 (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:11 PM
badams1897
Advanced

Originally Posted by freddyvette
I just installed these. You might want to test fit them first before painting them. You'll have to rivet them to the flare in the back, rear fender, and to the rocker panel. This is how they are installed in a ZR1 from the factory, so don't freak out about it.

Gotcha. will do. I might just have the body shop install them on lift. I def think adds a nice look and maybe will help with rocks hitting the rear of my car.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:15 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by badams1897
Gotcha. will do. I might just have the body shop install them on lift. I def think adds a nice look and maybe will help with rocks hitting the rear of my car.
I amended my previous comment.

They look alright for my purposes. I never wash my car and I put them on purely for aerodynamics.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:03 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I bought the same ABS side skirts and splitter. Unfinished, mine came in with a matte finish, slightly textured like the OEM rear mud flaps and front window trim and think they look good as is. I don't have to worry about rock chips or foot scraping paint when exiting car, especially passengers, as my wife does this all the time. Mine have been installed for one year and look great. Some add Back to Black to shine them up, but personally I don't as it's just a magnet for collecting dust. If you still plan on painting them I would highly suggest doing a dry fit so you don't scratch paint trying to mount them. I used self tapping screws so if something gets damaged it's easier to take them off. IMO, If you use rivets, you will have to drill them out leaving pieces to roll and rattle around in your rockers.

The following users liked this post:
badams1897 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 AM
badams1897
Advanced

That is a really good point itomh and my front spoiler is already the unfinished painted. What kind of self tapping screws did you use? Size wise etc. I do not plan to rivet them in the event they crack and need to be removed.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:58 AM
itomh
Pro

That is a really good point itomh and my front spoiler is already the unfinished painted. What kind of self tapping screws did you use? Size wise etc. I do not plan to rivet them in the event they crack and need to be removed.
Some like the Phillips #8 self tapping. I prefer the #8, 1/2" Teks Hex-Drive as it gave me more control during the drive, you don't have to worry about them slipping.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:13 PM
badams1897
Advanced

Originally Posted by itomh
Some like the Phillips #8 self tapping. I prefer the #8, 1/2" Teks Hex-Drive as it gave me more control during the drive, you don't have to worry about them slipping.

That sounds good. I was toying with the idea of drilling holes and throwing in those plastic clip/rivets you see in wheel wheels and hold the light flaps for the fog lights etc. I have about 200 of them laying around.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

That sounds good. I was toying with the idea of drilling holes and throwing in those plastic clip/rivets you see in wheel wheels and hold the light flaps for the fog lights etc. I have about 200 of them laying around.
Those definitely won't hold. You need some bite to make the side skirts conform to the contour, otherwise you'll have gaps. Honestly I doubt even the self tappers will hold on too long.

To avoid the problem rivet removal debris, I only used rivets near the rocker panel relief zones to get access with a finger if needed.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:08 PM
itomh
Pro

When installing the side skirts, make sure you start with the mud flap and work your way to the front when aligning. Since you ordered off of fleabay, your side skirts may or may not come with predrilled holes. If not predrilled, they may come with the areas pre-marked for drilling. You or whom ever does your install, would do well if you put on the side skirt mud flap first. I used a small C clamp to hold the side skirt to the mud flap and aligned the side skirt. At the very front of your side skirt there should be a hole where in this spot you will be reusing a screw that is behind the front tire. This screw may or may not align with the fleabay hole or the fleabay marking. The best way to handle this is to slightly back the screw out, maybe an 1/8". Use white paint or any light colored paint you have laying around and put a good dab of paint on just the head of that screw. Carefully align the side skirt to the body of car and the paint will either line up with you hole or it will show you where you should actually place your predrilled hole. After this, everything will flow together. My first kit I ordered off of fleabay came predrilled. Notice that I have two holes in the circled area, this is because fleabay had it in the wrong area, the hole closest to the top of the picture is where the OEM screw I mentioned actually landed. My first set of raw ABS side skirts were very smooth, not textured and would have to be painted. My front splitter from the same supplier came in raw ABS was slightly texture and very uniform. I like the splitter better unpainted, so I took a chance ordered another set of sideskirts from same fleabay supplier and the second set came in the same uniform texture as the splitter did, but non predrilled. I preferred the raw ABS textured matte finish for longevity and low maintenance. You will notice that the side skirts will pickup more road dust then before installed, so wiping the dust off of raw ABS will only take seconds to look perfect.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:17 PM
itomh
Pro

Those definitely won't hold. You need some bite to make the side skirts conform to the contour, otherwise you'll have gaps. Honestly I doubt even the self tappers will hold on too long.

To avoid the problem rivet removal debris, I only used rivets near the rocker panel relief zones to get access with a finger if needed.
While I have car lifted while doing oil changes I have taken the opportunity to recheck work I have done in the past, header and exhaust joints, to include skirt and splitter screws. All is holding up well. I would have to agree, maybe, for track use rivets would be better.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 PM
badams1897
Advanced

While I have car lifted while doing oil changes I have taken the opportunity to recheck work I have done in the past, header and exhaust joints, to include skirt and splitter screws. All is holding up well. I would have to agree, maybe, for track use rivets would be better.
I will have to look. I am confused on what to do. I suppose I might just ask the auto body or maybe my local chevy dealer for advice too
Old 02-05-2019, 08:44 AM
itomh
Pro

I will have to look. I am confused on what to do. I suppose I might just ask the auto body or maybe my local chevy dealer for advice too
Here are some instructions that may help. See below PDF link. Just keep in mind that when buying off of fleabay that direct bolt-on/rivet, which ever you prefer, without having to modify is a hit and miss. I bought two sets from the same supplier and both were slightly different from each other. But for the price point and end result I was going for I'm not disappointed. I couldn't imagine paying a shop to do this. I you have a decent way to get the car lifted, this is definitely a DIY job. I lift my car by using 2 X 10 slats. It takes a little work by putting them in one at a time working my way around car, but it is solid as hell. I used this when doing my own head swap and header install. I kept slats and now use them for anytime I need to service car.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/media/...%20Install.pdf

Old 02-05-2019, 08:52 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Here are some instructions that may help. See below PDF link. Just keep in mind that when buying off of fleabay that direct bolt-on/rivet, which ever you prefer, without having to modify is a hit and miss. I bought two sets from the same supplier and both were slightly different from each other. But for the price point and end result I was going for I'm not disappointed. I couldn't imagine paying a shop to do this. I you have a decent way to get the car lifted, this is definitely a DIY job. I lift my car by using 2 X 10 slats. It takes a little work by putting them in one at a time working my way around car, but it is solid as hell. I used this when doing my own head swap and header install. I kept slats and now use them for anytime I need to service car.

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/media/...%20Install.pdf

You know jack stands are 30$ for a set of four at harbor freight, right?
Old 02-05-2019, 09:23 AM
itomh
Pro

You know jack stands are 30$ for a set of four at harbor freight, right?
I certainly do, I have two sets of jack stands that work great on my DD when I need them. This is just how I prefer to lift my Z06. 2 each his own

Get notified of new replies

To Another spoiler and side skirt thread

Quick Reply: Another spoiler and side skirt thread