Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

C6 Z06 as adaily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM
allgonoshow2
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts
Default C6 Z06 as adaily driver...

Hi Folks,

I am looking into a purchase as a daily summer driver. Likely an 06-08 Z06 based on my budget.
I am aware of the valve quide issues and will ensure the work has been done or will do it if needed.

I am curious about general cost of operation.
Tires, brakes and steering and suspension components.
Tire are expensive, what would be the typical mileage for replacement for not too aggressive driving.
Same on the brakes, typical life expectancy.
Are there other common wear items I should be aware of.
Thanx in advance.

Last edited by allgonoshow2; 06-19-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:47 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Overall maintenance costs would be pretty similar to other similarly priced cars. As a daily I'd run a Bridgestone runflat since they give great rain/dry traction and you can expect at least 25k from a set if driven normally. Same for brake pads if taken care of. If it were my only car then I'd happily daily drive one in a heartbeat!! I don't know of any other typical wear items that are out of the norm since I've never had any unexpected items to arise from mine. You can expect to average 22mpg for typical city/highway use so it's tough to beat that from a really fun car!
The following users liked this post:
Pinski 1 (06-18-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 08:08 PM
allgonoshow2
Racer

Thanx, I doubt I would drive more than 10k per year so operating cost shouldn't be too bad then.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

What kind of yearly mileage are you thinking? I have had my 06 Z since 2012 an used it for a daily most of that time. I averaged 3500 miles a year but not because I was unwilling to drive it. My job is only 2 miles away LOL. I think they are excellent DD's. To be honest I have had no unplanned failures with my car in any way, it has been a perfect car to own. By unplanned I mean surprises that come up like faults or break downs. I have done work that was planned. I have done head work, swapped out stereo, clutch, axle back exhaust, cam, shocks, CAI ect. Driven normal it does not wear the clutch, tires, or breaks any faster than any other car.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:23 PM
allgonoshow2
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbob8915
What kind of yearly mileage are you thinking? I have had my 06 Z since 2012 an used it for a daily most of that time. I averaged 3500 miles a year but not because I was unwilling to drive it. My job is only 2 miles away LOL. I think they are excellent DD's. To be honest I have had no unplanned failures with my car in any way, it has been a perfect car to own. By unplanned I mean surprises that come up like faults or break downs. I have done work that was planned. I have done head work, swapped out stereo, clutch, axle back exhaust, cam, shocks, CAI ect. Driven normal it does not wear the clutch, tires, or breaks any faster than any other car.
That sounds reassuring.
I am thinking no more than 10k per year, I have a truck, Harley, wife's car [ G37 awd coupe] as well.
So major expense in maybe 2-3 year cycles. That's manageable.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:24 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 178 Likes on 120 Posts

I've owned my 2006 Z06 since new and have 141k miles on it. It is my daily driver during the summer and I average around 12-13k per summer. I ditched the run flats and get around 50k per set now. I replaced the OEM brake pads at 50k and still running the set I replaced them with, PosiQuiet Semi Metallic pads. Obviously I don't track the car and if you don't either then maintenance costs should be minimal.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 PM
SocalChvy
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by allgonoshow2
That sounds reassuring.
I am thinking no more than 10k per year, I have a truck, Harley, wife's car [ G37 awd coupe] as well.
So major expense in maybe 2-3 year cycles. That's manageable.
The C6 Z06 is a very comfortable but raw vehicle to own and drive every day. As far as the components go, they will last as long as you are able to control your foot.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sports on mine. Day and night from the run flat interms of ride noise. The brakes, gas and tires will go as you go. If we are talking about a simple highway pull here an there, you'd have nothing to worry about. Just know that this car can go from "Wow, this thing does pretty good on gas" to "whoa where did my fuel go?" when you put your foot down.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

I daily drove my 2011 Z06 year round except for 3 or 4 snow days a year and racked up 54K miles in 3-1/2 years. Great car to daily drive, ditched the runflats and went with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, smoother & quieter on the highway and went with more of a dust-less type disc pad. Gas Mileage averaged in the low 20's, changed oil every 3K, tires lasted about 28K per set.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 AM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Fix the heads, keep everything stock, and go. Rotors are $90 a piece from KNS Brakes and pads can be had cheaply from an auto parts store. Bleed clutch fluid every once in a while. Enjoy.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM
anth115
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just want to add that you can further improve your tire consumption by running a less aggressive alignment (less camber if you like but more importantly less toe). Also without cold weather concerns I'd much rather have a Michelin PSS/PS4S and a AAA/CAA card than a runflat tire of any brand. The Posiquiets mentioned above get good reviews for a lower dust/lower performance pad. Do get the heads fixed and bleed the clutch fluid monthly or so via the Ranger method. Lastly, the car has excessive oil cooling capacity on the street. If this is an issue you can run the oil cooler cover from Unbalanced Engineering, or some people even remove it altogether (not what I'd recommend).

The C6Z is extremely liveable considering its performance potential, but it's also worth really considering (and a question most people don't give enough thought), that if you won't be using it to its full potential, is it really worth having (versus a C6 base or Z51, etc.). I love the LS7 in particular, and I track my car to explore its full potential. But without doing so I would find it a bit harder to justify the added costs versus a nice LS3 car. Only you can answer this one.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Doing your own maintenance greatly reduced operating costs w/ C6 Z06.
There're a number of things which can & do crap out, almost always labor eclipses parts.

Whether RF or not it's wise to get Pfadt's 'Street Spec' alignment done when new skins are installed.
billswebspace.com/CorvetteAlignmentGuideRev20110912.pdf
Unless tracking aggressive camber results in quick premature wear on inside fronts no matter how easy it's driven.
Everything mentioned above counts, don't forget this alignment or helplessly watch as expensive front tires seem to melt away.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:47 AM
v8sten
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by allgonoshow2
Hi Folks,

I am looking into a purchase as a daily summer driver. Likely an 06-08 Z06 based on my budget.
I am aware of the valve quide issues nd will ensue the work has been done or will do it if needed.

I am curious about general cost of operation.
Tires, brakes and steering and suspension components.
Tire are expensive, what would be the typical mileage for replacement for not too aggressive driving.
Same on the brakes, typical life expectancy.
Are there other common wear items I should be aware of.
Thanx in advance.
Costs are not that expensive, especially if you do the maintenance yourself. oil changes are about $50, brake pads i get around $150, as far as tires go I run Nitto INVOS, cost isnt too bad and if I have a flat I have an air pump out of a newer Mustang (those dont come with a spare or run flats) in it, and I have AAA.As far as steering and suspension stuff, what exactly are you referring too? Get the car aligned immediately with a "Street alignment" that means taking the camber out of it so you get even tire wear. If you dont, expect 5k-10k miles out of a set of tires. Ive gone 30k+ with hard driving out of the $150 brake pads off of ebay/amazon. as far as fuel milage goes, that really depends on yout tuner, mine got 18 city / 30 highway, with only the heads fixed and ported @ 500rwhp. At 600rwhp I was getting 16 city / 25 highway. These cars are comfortable and work great as a DD. I sold my 07 C6Z and now have a 12 C6GS, I miss my C6Z a lot. Once a month do the "Ranger Method" to the clutch fluid. It will prolong the life of your clutch master cylinder. And take care of the heads asap. Have fun, you will be hooked. Oh and I personally like the T56 cars over a TR6060. The T56 shifts so much smoother.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:41 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

I personally like the T56 cars over a TR6060. The T56 shifts so much smoother.
Hmmmm, certainly not my experience
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
Oh and I personally like the T56 cars over a TR6060. The T56 shifts so much smoother.
Originally Posted by JMB
Hmmmm, certainly not my experience
I had a 2009 Z, and now my current 2007. I honestly noticed very little difference between the 6060 and T56; when cold, the 6060 was a little tough going in to 3rd, the T56 overall feels a tad notchier to me. Both were as smooth as I could ask for.

OP, great advice above. I don't DD my car, but if I lived in a climate that allowed year round driving I wouldn't think twice about it. As it is, I love my 2013 F150 as a daily, and I think I enjoy the Z more by not driving it every day. It comes out any time the weather is even partially decent though!

I do all my own maintenance and it's been simple and straightforward thus far. I replaced the brakes because I got such a good deal on a PowerStop Z26 kit, and at 37k miles the stockers still had well over half pad left. I did my own head swap as well, was much easier than I anticipated (changed all the fluids at that time). Swapped shocks out last weekend for DRM Bilsteins because my backs were making some odd noises going over bumps, and that too was very simple. I enjoy working on the car, and if you fix the known issues and stay on top of the basics, it'll serve you well.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 01-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by anth115
...if you won't be using it to its full potential, is it really worth having (versus a C6 base or Z51, etc.). I love the LS7 in particular, and I track my car to explore its full potential. But without doing so I would find it a bit harder to justify the added costs versus a nice LS3 car. Only you can answer this one.

I have to agree, if you want a daily driver and are looking to maximize the lifespan of wearable parts, than as mentioned above you would probably be just as happy with base or z51 and if you want the widebody look, used Z06 fenders/QP’s can be found pretty cheap and you wouldn’t have to worry about the heads. Most of us get the Z as we want to maximize its greater potential over the base model by having very grippy tires that are wider than stock and won’t last as long, a dry sump oil system, weight reduction and optimized suspension and to have a car that has the potential to make over 600HP at the rear wheels without having to add a supercharger or FI or N2O. If you aren’t tracking, autocrossing, car showing, collecting or just have to have a Z06, then I can guarantee you would be happy with grandsport or even a z51.

Last edited by 03Zcrit; 02-01-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:27 PM
allgonoshow2
Racer

OP here Well thanx for all the info folks, doing a deal on a 2009 Black Z06 tomorrow, pending test drive and shop inspection. Has about 40k miles and is mint.

I don't think I will sleep tonight, very pumped.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Josh M
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 212 Likes on 147 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19,'21-'22-'23-'24

Good luck! Its definitely a fun car. I'd have no real qualms about daily driving it besides I could see the clutch getting a bit tiresome if you are sitting in traffic for an extended period.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 as adaily driver...

Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM
allgonoshow2
Racer

OP here, this is the car I ended up with, 2009 about 40k miles.

I am retired and don't drive a lot, Still have a 2015 Sierra 6.2 and Harley, so the Z as a daily, may not be the correct description.
When I do drive it, it won't be in rush hour traffic thank fully.

Last edited by allgonoshow2; 06-19-2019 at 08:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by allgonoshow2:
got2hav1 (07-24-2019), v8sten (06-20-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM
lgzildjian
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v8sten
And take care of the heads asap.
Having this done in August, but otherwise, I can't see this car not being the perfect daily driver for 3/4ths of the year! Running CONTI DW'S on ZR1 wheels and she rides amazing, even here in PA! I do have plans to get her on track and so sprung for GiroDisc two piece rotors for the fronts (slotted/vented) vs. the stock cross drilled, and will typically run Pagid pads for track use with SRF brake fluid so that will increase operating costs, but from a daily standpoint this will be a relatively inexpensive car to run (for what it is).
Old 06-16-2019, 09:31 PM
Sy1616
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I couldn’t daily Z06. It’s stock but just too raw for everyday. Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 as adaily driver...