Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Another ZR1 VS Z06 thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:39 PM
vettefordays
CF Senior Member

Default Another ZR1 VS Z06 thread

Went from a '14 Z51 to a '17 Z06 and then into an '18 Raptor. Love the Raptor and want to keep it but I've got the vette itch again. But this time I can't get the noise of a big cam out of my head either. I've got a couple different options here.

Trade Raptor and buy a cheaper but nice cummins and pick up a clean, low mile C6 ZR1. Heads/Cam + FBO but keep it on 91.

OR

Keep the Raptor and buy a 30-35K C6 Z06 and stick with heads/cam/headers and call it a day.

I love the rarity of the ZR1 but it would cost almost twice as much as the C6Z. What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks in advance for all replies!
Old 01-29-2019, 08:15 AM
Innovate
CF Senior Member

Cummins/ZR1 is a no brainer. Unless the Cummins has no warranty, I will not own another diesel without a warranty unless it is a 2nd Gen Cummins I can grab for $3k lol.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM
SPDKLZ1
CF Senior Member

I vote for the ZO6 route. Yeah, the ZR1is rare. So what. The Z06, according to many threads and people who have owned both, is more raw and nimble. It's 200lbs lighter and doesn't have the supercharger lag that a lot of converts can't get over. On top of that it sounds amazing even with a small cam. I'd love to have both but wouldn't get rid of my ZO6. Just my .02.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Verrückt ZR1
CF Senior Member

Supercharger lag? If you're looking for the big cam sound, go with the Z06. If you want the superior car, you know what to do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verrückt ZR1 For This Useful Post:
chassed (01-29-2019), RedZ4me (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:46 AM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Keep the Raptor and get the Z06. You’ll enjoy the best of both worlds.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM
0H8Z06
CF Senior Member

Raptor, C6Z.... To me, that is the no brainer if you are wanting a thumping NA Monster... There are a few guys selling rollers right now... C6Z... Buy one and build it to your liking and save even more money...
Old 01-29-2019, 10:31 AM
JMoraru

I'd definitely keep the Raptor and get a Z06. I'm actually have the opposite situation...have a Z06 and I'm itching for a Raptor 😂
Old 01-29-2019, 11:01 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Well bro what you have here is probably one of the most awesome “tough choice” situations out there...lol You really can’t go wrong with either choice and 99.9% of this place wouldn’t mind have that first world vette problem! Personally I’d go the ZR1 route, I love my ZO6 but the ZR1 is just the pinnacle of corvettes in my opinion. The rarity is a huge factor to me. I’ve still yet to see a C6 ZR1 out on the road or at any meets(now I live in southern Mississippi and haven’t been to a bunch of meets) but either way still haven’t seen one. I’ve actually been up close in personal in a C7 ZR1 and I figured I’d run into C6 ZR1 before a C7. The other reason I’d go ZR1 and this is pure speculation but I feel like it has a higher probability of being a true statement. When the C8 drops and the corvette guys are pissed off it’s just overwhelmed with technology and a bunch of nanny buttons and takes hardly any skill to handle the want for a true drivers car is gonna come roaring back. The C6 ZR1 is the last true drivers car and it’s top of the pack vette wise. It’s more than likely going to become and appreciating asset and if not appreciating its value should at a minimum stay neutral.

Nice little predicament your in man!🇺🇸 Good luck! Keep us posted with what you end up doing.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:25 AM
Texasthunder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 2010 zr1

My ZR1 with BTR3 and headers. No supercharger lag!!!!!!! Pulls from start to stop.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0070[1].MOV (428.9 KB, 52 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:08 PM
WA 2 FST
CF Senior Member

I think the biggest variable here is what you want from your DD. If you like the Raptor that much, and would far prefer it as a DD (where you spend 75-80%+ of your time) over a Cummins diesel, then the choice is easy... keep the Raptor and buy/mod a C6Z06.

I love my DD (Trackhawk) and would not sell it for a lesser DD in order to purchase a car I drive only on weekends/sunny day, short commutes.

...and I have a C6 ZR1 and love it.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:38 PM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post
I think the biggest variable here is what you want from your DD. If you like the Raptor that much, and would far prefer it as a DD (where you spend 75-80%+ of your time) over a Cummins diesel, then the choice is easy... keep the Raptor and buy/mod a C6Z06.

I love my DD (Trackhawk) and would not sell it for a lesser DD in order to purchase a car I drive only on weekends/sunny day, short commutes.

So your daily is a Track Hawk and you have a C6 ZR1!

That’s pretty damn powerful right there. Well played sir.

Your move OP 😂 🇺🇸
The Following User Says Thank You to 73DBG For This Useful Post:
WA 2 FST (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:25 PM
RedZ4me
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1 View Post
Supercharger lag? If you're looking for the big cam sound, go with the Z06. If you want the superior car, you know what to do.
Bingo !
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Jackie Chan
CF Senior Member

get rid of the Raptor while you can. They are a dime a dozen, I can't see them holding their value as well as the previous generation. I took an 18 on trade the other day and have another guy that wants to trade another one.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:37 PM
vettefordays
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Innovate View Post
Cummins/ZR1 is a no brainer. Unless the Cummins has no warranty, I will not own another diesel without a warranty unless it is a 2nd Gen Cummins I can grab for $3k lol.
Looking at CPO Laramie Longhorns if I go that route!

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1 View Post
I vote for the ZO6 route. Yeah, the ZR1is rare. So what. The Z06, according to many threads and people who have owned both, is more raw and nimble. It's 200lbs lighter and doesn't have the supercharger lag that a lot of converts can't get over. On top of that it sounds amazing even with a small cam. I'd love to have both but wouldn't get rid of my ZO6. Just my .02.
You're right, can't beat a cammed LS7 in sound!

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1 View Post
I also like the idea of being 700 rwhp without having to change pistons and other things like I would have to on the C6Z...

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post

Keep the Raptor and get the Z06. You’ll enjoy the best of both worlds.
I've also got the leadfoot!

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06 View Post
Raptor, C6Z.... To me, that is the no brainer if you are wanting a thumping NA Monster... There are a few guys selling rollers right now... C6Z... Buy one and build it to your liking and save even more money...
Thank you!

Originally Posted by JMoraru View Post
I'd definitely keep the Raptor and get a Z06. I'm actually have the opposite situation...have a Z06 and I'm itching for a Raptor 😂
Don't do it! haha these things are depreciating like an AMG merc right now!

Originally Posted by 73DBG View Post
Well bro what you have here is probably one of the most awesome “tough choice” situations out there...lol You really can’t go wrong with either choice and 99.9% of this place wouldn’t mind have that first world vette problem! Personally I’d go the ZR1 route, I love my ZO6 but the ZR1 is just the pinnacle of corvettes in my opinion. The rarity is a huge factor to me. I’ve still yet to see a C6 ZR1 out on the road or at any meets(now I live in southern Mississippi and haven’t been to a bunch of meets) but either way still haven’t seen one. I’ve actually been up close in personal in a C7 ZR1 and I figured I’d run into C6 ZR1 before a C7. The other reason I’d go ZR1 and this is pure speculation but I feel like it has a higher probability of being a true statement. When the C8 drops and the corvette guys are pissed off it’s just overwhelmed with technology and a bunch of nanny buttons and takes hardly any skill to handle the want for a true drivers car is gonna come roaring back. The C6 ZR1 is the last true drivers car and it’s top of the pack vette wise. It’s more than likely going to become and appreciating asset and if not appreciating its value should at a minimum stay neutral.

Nice little predicament your in man!🇺🇸 Good luck! Keep us posted with what you end up doing.
That's another thing I like, seems like I can drive that thing to 40-50K miles and not lose TOO much money!

Originally Posted by Texasthunder View Post
My ZR1 with BTR3 and headers. No supercharger lag!!!!!!! Pulls from start to stop.
Sounds awesome!

Originally Posted by WA 2 FST View Post

I have a 3rd beater car I use as a daily, I just really like looking at the Raptor

And I live in AZ so the weekly romp through the desert isn't bad either!

Originally Posted by 73DBG View Post

So your daily is a Track Hawk and you have a C6 ZR1!

That’s pretty damn powerful right there. Well played sir.

Your move OP 😂 🇺🇸
I gotta level up my finances to make that work

Originally Posted by Jackie Chan View Post
get rid of the Raptor while you can. They are a dime a dozen, I can't see them holding their value as well as the previous generation. I took an 18 on trade the other day and have another guy that wants to trade another one.
Yeah, I'm already going to have to take a bath on this thing when I sell it, it wasn't the smartest purchase

Old 01-29-2019, 03:47 PM
Jackie Chan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettefordays View Post

Yeah, I'm already going to have to take a bath on this thing when I sell it, it wasn't the smartest purchase

I could be wrong. I do remember the last generation got really soft in value for about 2 years and then they went up in value pretty sharply.

oh btw definitely get a zr1.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:54 PM
AHP
CF Senior Member

Drive the ZR1 and then decide.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:47 PM
Texasthunder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If you drive a ZR1,you will own a ZR1.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texasthunder For This Useful Post:
chassed (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:58 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Texasthunder View Post
If you drive a ZR1,you will own a ZR1.
Not a chance unless the look grows on me 😄
Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 PM
vettefordays
CF Senior Member

Driven two stock ZRs and a 800 rwhp one as well. Ended up going C7 Z for the interior and refinement. Now that I've gotten that "refinement" garbage out of my system, I need to re-drive a ZR1!
The Following User Says Thank You to vettefordays For This Useful Post:
chassed (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:12 AM
Texasthunder
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettefordays View Post
Driven two stock ZRs and a 800 rwhp one as well. Ended up going C7 Z for the interior and refinement. Now that I've gotten that "refinement" garbage out of my system, I need to re-drive a ZR1!
Do it. You will get that smile on your face that doesn't go away and remember why you got rid of the C7!!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another ZR1 VS Z06 thread

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: