Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Ported LS7 heads help needed

 
Old 02-06-2019, 06:31 PM
  #1  
Vwracermc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ported LS7 heads help needed





I purchased these LS7 heads used and was told they came from Lingenfelter. After talking to Linginfelter it appears they didnít come from them. I am happy with the heads as the guides are tight and they are CNC ported but was wondering if anyone might be able to identify who might have done the work. The only identifying markings that I see is both heads have the number ď26062Ē hand scribed on the 1st intake runner.
Vwracermc is offline  
Old 02-06-2019, 06:50 PM
  #2  
~STOLEN~
CF Senior Member
 
~STOLEN~'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Greenwood Indiana
Posts: 2,206
Thanked 93 Times in 80 Posts
Default

I have lingenfelter heads and they actually scribe a number on the exhaust side of the head that identifies their work. Im not sure where they came from but runner looks pretty clean
~STOLEN~ is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 AM
  #3  
Undy
CF Senior Member
 
Undy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Virginia Beach, VA & Port Charlotte, FL (snowbird)
Posts: 3,135
Thanked 84 Times in 70 Posts
Default

To me, it doesn't look like a CNC machining pattern. It appears to be a hand porting job. I honestly think you're out of luck having someone identifying the heads by looking at one intake port. The numbers "may" help.
Undy is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 AM
  #4  
Vwracermc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ~STOLEN~ View Post
I have lingenfelter heads and they actually scribe a number on the exhaust side of the head that identifies their work. Im not sure where they came from but runner looks pretty clean
Thanks for the info. When I called Lingenfelter the person I talked to said they generally put the number on the side of the head, but he had never heard of them ever putting a marking on the intake runner. Iím not upset at all with the workmanship of the heads, it just would ease my mind knowing who did them.
Vwracermc is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 AM
  #5  
Undy
CF Senior Member
 
Undy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Virginia Beach, VA & Port Charlotte, FL (snowbird)
Posts: 3,135
Thanked 84 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Lingenfelter uses OEM iron guides. You have bronze. That rules them out anyway.
Undy is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:02 AM
  #6  
Vwracermc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Undy View Post
To me, it doesn't look like a CNC machining pattern. It appears to be a hand porting job. I honestly think you're out of luck having someone identifying the heads by looking at one intake port. The numbers "may" help.
looking at the picture I took itís hard to tell how the porting was done because they look smooth as if they were done with a dremel. Later I may take a better picture and show the tooling marks that definitely were from a ball nose endmill with extremely uniform spacing. If they were done by hand I would love to meet the person that did them!! There was also some work done in the chambers, although itís hard to tell with the carbon.
Vwracermc is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 AM
  #7  
~STOLEN~
CF Senior Member
 
~STOLEN~'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Greenwood Indiana
Posts: 2,206
Thanked 93 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Undy View Post
Lingenfelter uses OEM iron guides. You have bronze. That rules them out anyway.

this is true also^^^^^

mine are NOT smooth like that (you can see all the cnc marks) ill post a pic of mine, those are a hand blend for sure (but look great)

but being they are "fixed" its still not a bad idea to replace the guides with them being a relatively cheap part
~STOLEN~ is offline  
Old 02-07-2019, 04:25 PM
  #8  
Unreal
CF Senior Member
 
Unreal's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 21,607
Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,133 Posts
Default

Check with TSP. Looks like could be TSP 265 program heads.
Unreal is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 AM
  #9  
Vwracermc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default


Originally Posted by Undy View Post
Lingenfelter uses OEM iron guides. You have bronze. That rules them out anyway.
I agree that they arenít Lingenfelter heads although they did say that that they have on some occasions used bronze guides, Iím sure at the customers request. Here is a closer look at the tooling marks and I believe they are cnc.
Vwracermc is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:31 AM
  #10  
Undy
CF Senior Member
 
Undy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: Virginia Beach, VA & Port Charlotte, FL (snowbird)
Posts: 3,135
Thanked 84 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vwracermc View Post


Here is a closer look at the tooling marks and I believe they are cnc.
Yep, see the telltale marks on this photo.
Undy is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM
  #11  
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Valencia Ca.
Posts: 67,518
Thanked 1,070 Times in 983 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05
Default

CNC, someone went in with a tootsie roll and tried to get rid of the tool marks. If the guides check out run em
cuisinartvette is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:50 PM
  #12  
Vwracermc
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2018
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
CNC, someone went in with a tootsie roll and tried to get rid of the tool marks. If the guides check out run em
Thats my plan. Just installing Ferrea exhaust valves and BTR dual springs. The reason for the post is more out of curiosity to see if anyone can identify who might have done the work. As ďUnrealĒ mentioned, I will check with Texas Speed & Performance.
Vwracermc is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 PM
  #13  
black00ta
CF Senior Member
 
black00ta's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Posts: 141
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Looks like some clean porting, I'd run em. You might have better luck tracking through previous owners of them.
black00ta is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 02:53 AM
  #14  
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member
 
Dan_the_C5_Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta metro Ga.
Posts: 5,345
Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
Default

You should know stock Ti intakes and bronze guides are not a good combination.
Dan_the_C5_Man is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 08:45 PM
  #15  
HouseS2k
CF Senior Member
 
HouseS2k's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 306
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man View Post
You should know stock Ti intakes and bronze guides are not a good combination.
CHE mag bronze guides have no issues with the oem valves.
HouseS2k is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 02:12 AM
  #16  
whitec5sc
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2010
Location: Hauppauge Ny
Posts: 283
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Tsp was able to look up what was done to my heads by me giving them the previous owners name. My heads also didnít have any markings, just numbers.
whitec5sc is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 AM
  #17  
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member
 
Dan_the_C5_Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta metro Ga.
Posts: 5,345
Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HouseS2k View Post
CHE mag bronze guides have no issues with the oem valves.
That's not Katech's position, and they know a thing or two about it..

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-10-2019 at 04:16 AM.
Dan_the_C5_Man is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:20 AM
  #18  
HouseS2k
CF Senior Member
 
HouseS2k's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 306
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man View Post
That's not Katech's position, and they know a thing or two about it..
Thats funny because they require bronze with their moly coated Ti valves. Moly is the superior coating but the factory CRN is very good also. A few cylinder head companies use bronze with factory valves. WCCH and Advance Induction just to name 2.
HouseS2k is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM
  #19  
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member
 
Dan_the_C5_Man's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta metro Ga.
Posts: 5,345
Thanked 318 Times in 251 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HouseS2k View Post
Thats funny because they require bronze with their moly coated Ti valves. Moly is the superior coating but the factory CRN is very good also. A few cylinder head companies use bronze with factory valves. WCCH and Advance Induction just to name 2.
The original factory CrN coating is abrasive, which is why Katech pushes the use of Moly coated stems, because the head vendor they use, WCCH (yes, NOW Katech offers in-house services, but that only started last year) didn't have access to PM guides that hold up better to the rough coating...

It's a domino affect; one component change impacts another.

And just because a shop does something doesn't make it right - GM is a Billion dollar company, and look what a mess they managed to create. Never trust anyone implicitly, try to do your own research and then come to a conclusion.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-11-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Dan_the_C5_Man is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM
  #20  
HouseS2k
CF Senior Member
 
HouseS2k's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 306
Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man View Post
The original factory CrN coating is abrasive, which is why Katech pushes the use of Moly coated stems, because the head vendor they use, WCCH (yes, NOW Katech offers in-house services, but that only started last year) didn't have access to PM guides that hold up better to the rough coating...

It's a domino affect; one component change impacts another.

And just because a shop does something doesn't make it right - GM is a Billion dollar company, and look what a mess they managed to create. Never trust anyone implicitly, try to do you own research and then come to a conclusion.
100% agree, Iíve used CHE products before with great results. Which is why I used them in my head fix. I use a local machine shop for my machine work. Never had an issue with them so far.
HouseS2k is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ported LS7 heads help needed


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: