Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Purchasing a Z06 - chances of issues with LS7??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 03:17 PM
D3troit Muscle
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
Real close to your numbers, Jason, my Z06 put down 520rwhp on a modest Mustang Dyno, as well. I think there were a lot of gains to be had when after I initially did my heads and cam, I later came back and added the Corsa x-pipe (mine is a 2012 so it was the first year of four cats) and an Airaid intake. I think I needed more CFM to feed my new ported AHP heads and TSP cam and the reduction of the secondary pair of cats was a big increase in my exhaust flows.

-Ryan

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-results.html
Ahh I see, so you paid the extra $835 to have AHP port the heads as well? Or was it just the base "package 4 head rework" ??
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,281 Likes on 926 Posts

Headers make more impact with cams that have a healthy dose of overlap - especially at lower rpm (2000-4000). If you have a mild cam you wont see much increase as far as peak numbers go.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:57 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by D3troit Muscle
Ahh I see, so you paid the extra $835 to have AHP port the heads as well? Or was it just the base "package 4 head rework" ??
I experienced egregious cost creep when I did my heads, and essentially went for the full enchilada package with AHP. I figured I only intended to do this once and as long as I had my heads off, I may as well get all the flow (and love) that I can get out of them while I can. To me, the LS7 cylinder head is the sexiest part of the LS7 motor, I'm still not aware of a production cylinder head for a production motor that ever had as great of CFM flows. So, to take a sexy head and make it even sexier, I figured when all was said and done, and long after I paid for it, I better get what I want up front. This even led to a mild camshaft while I was in there with the heads, in part to increase the robustness of the camshaft in the overall equation of the motor, by going to an 8620 cam core with LS friendly TSP cam lobes. I also did the cam to help take advantage of the increased CFM flows from my new heads as well, (.635"/.635") I believe my heads were hand ported by a former NASCAR cylinder head porter and I couldn't be happier with the dyno results, so I think it was worth it. Now, with AHP's new CNC program, I'd recommend that route just as well. Do the heads right with the right lifters, and you don't have to go back in there once you get it all put back together.

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Headers make more impact with cams that have a healthy dose of overlap - especially at lower rpm (2000-4000). If you have a mild cam you wont see much increase as far as peak numbers go.
That's interesting because I specifically did not want more than 5° overlap so as to retain OE appearance, sound, and drivability (and in turn, for resale value) so that makes sense why I think the sum of all my heavily researched parts and specs went together as well as they did on the factory LS7 exhaust manifolds.

Last edited by BigVette427; 02-14-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:54 AM
JDebler
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by D3troit Muscle
JDebler what about your numbers??
516 to the tire on a Mustang Dyno with 4-5 month old gas in it.

Check the other vids in my channel about it if you haven't already.
The following users liked this post:
D3troit Muscle (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Purchasing a Z06 - chances of issues with LS7??