Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

At what rwhp to upgrade rear end?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:31 PM
jimbob8915
CF Senior Member

Default At what rwhp to upgrade rear end?

At what rwhp level do you need to uprade rear end parts? I am at 540 rwhp an want to do either 3.90 or 4.10 rear gears. I will do the occasional 1/4 mile at a track with 18x11 inch wheels with 305 Mickey Thompson DRs. I know I can throw $$$ at it but at what levels does stuff really start to break?
Old 02-09-2019, 12:04 AM
73DBG
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I donít think youíre anywhere near needing to worry about man. Especially if dead hook drag runs arenít what you do with the car regularly or isnít the cars main use.

Iím also a bit curious as to what number the forum brain trust provides though🤔 you may get more input in the F/I section though. Iím making 840whp with the stock rear end, lots of guys in that range running the factory set up. I pretty much only do rolls for a few reasons at the moment but Iím not worried about the rear end with that kind of power and not consistently dead hooking digs.....thatís really when **** gives up.

Last edited by 73DBG; 02-09-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:51 AM
rjacobs
CF Senior Member

Local guy has somewhere north 700 and broke some stuff a year or two ago running drag radials at a sticky track...

So at 540 I wouldnt worry about it.

NOW if you are in there to do gears, I would probably do a few things anyway(hardened output shafts, new clutches), but I wouldnt open up a good rear end at 540whp...

Last edited by rjacobs; 02-09-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At what rwhp to upgrade rear end?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: