Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Mamo Motorsports Ported MSD LS7 Intake (Adding more value)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 904 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Tony,

Looking at the above photos, there are two different sized heads on them bolts.

Would you supply a full set of standard sized bolts or the low profile bolts?

Will adding a 6mm lock washer require a longer bolt?

Almost sounds as if this could be a pre-packaged solution for all your MSD sales to ensure a flawless install regardless of the firewall percentages.

1. MSD Select Bolt kit
2. 6mm Lock-washer Kit
3. Proper Loc-tite
I only mentioned lock washers.....there is nothing wrong with the hardware provided by MSD.....its your conventional stainless metric hardware.

Regarding loctite if your wrenching on cars and dont own any......well.....LOL

If the washers and loctite prove itself on a couple of cars I may consider providing that hardware in a separate bag with the sale of all future intakes once we have enough data to back up that the combo of both (loctite and lock washers) finally puts this issue to bed for the folks that are having issues.

Once again this is IMO a small percentage of the composite intake owners out there but there is certainly enough of it to justify a pro active solution to the problem (like the issue with the firewall interference which I have already eliminated for you).

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey Tony, would it be possible to over-torque the bolts to create a gasket leak? I have one of your ported intakes, the head/runner gaskets pinch off the head face, and the clamshell gasket always rip up around the injector holes.

Last edited by freddyvette; 02-12-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
With so much technology that's advanced since rhe caveman, .how is it that there is no definitive solution to the MSD bolts requiring a retorquing now and then?

Any bonafide solutions like using LocTite or lock-nut washers? .

What's the fix?
It's not necessarily the TQ/bolt backing out the primary reason of such is that the rubber gasket provided by MSD will collapse, and also contributes to the "chassis or shell" flexing/warping. This increases the clearance giving the impression of the bolt backing out. Once you re-torque, the gasket will once again collapse/bend and/or pinch compromising sealing, creating vacuum leaks, idle and AF mixture issues.

The true fix for this would be for a higher quality material gasket, that is wider/thicker to avoid collapse/bending a/or pinching.

You can easily see once you remove the intake and see the irregularities within the gasket as it's crushed, twisted and just a mess.

Purchase a sheet of Teflon (1/4" or so thick), and make your own gasket would be my fix (keep in mind that I never attempted to do so). I sold my modified short runner MSD and went Hi-Ram since I was tired of the issues.

Last edited by Da Z06; 02-12-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

I think on the lock washers they would be added to the already thick metal washer there as I would be afraid the regular split lock washer digging into plastic and then not really locking at all. Another idea is a conical lock washer like found on the MSD distributer cap rotors. They use those type of lock washers as they really the spilt ones would dig into the plastic rotor caps.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 PM
Albert Lowe
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You could mark the bolt heads to see if they rotate when they loosen up. My guess is they are loosening and there’s also some collapsing of the housing. MSD really should have put a solid spacer in there. If I have them loosen again I’m going to probably safety wire them after torquing to MSDs torque spec. Then you don’t have to worry about constantly retorquing it and collapsing the housing and destroying the gasket.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:06 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Z06
It's not necessarily the TQ/bolt backing out the primary reason of such is that the rubber gasket provided by MSD will collapse, and also contributes to the "chassis or shell" flexing/warping. This increases the clearance giving the impression of the bolt backing out. Once you re-torque, the gasket will once again collapse/bend and/or pinch compromising sealing, creating vacuum leaks, idle and AF mixture issues.

The true fix for this would be for a higher quality material gasket, that is wider/thicker to avoid collapse/bending a/or pinching.

You can easily see once you remove the intake and see the irregularities within the gasket as it's crushed, twisted and just a mess.

Purchase a sheet of Teflon (1/4" or so thick), and make your own gasket would be my fix (keep in mind that I never attempted to do so). I sold my modified short runner MSD and went Hi-Ram since I was tired of the issues.
Great feedback. Thank you. Not knowing much about intakes and proper installation techniques, if this is the true issue, why MSD has not addressed the issue. Don't remember seeing anything like rhis on FAST Intakes. LG did my install and once I picked up the car, zero issues for as long as I had the car. They used a FAST Intake.

Quick Reply: Mamo Motorsports Ported MSD LS7 Intake (Adding more value)