Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMís Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Tracking Michelin Cup 2 Tires

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM
MMEOD85
CF Senior Member

Default Tracking Michelin Cup 2 Tires

For those that have tracked your Zís with the Cup 2ís, have you had any issues with an excessive build-up of rubber from the track? If so, what have you done to fix the problem? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:25 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
CF Senior Member

Picking up slag on cool down laps can be a problem - try to drive The Line even on cool down laps, if possible.. I assume you are using these for the drive home. If you have this issue while on track, it's an indication you aren't pushing the tire hard enough.

Take a sharp putty knife or a razor scraping tool and cut them off. It is a bit labor intensive, but you'll never get the tire hot enough on the street to scrub them off.

Another PIA is all the rubber chunks that stick to the barrel - you can use a plastic scraper for those.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 02-11-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM
Lawdogg
CF Senior Member

Good advice from Dan. All I can add is to heat the rubber with a heat gun just enough to soften the excess rubber. It will then come off very easy.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 PM
MMEOD85
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, I did locate a tire scraper specifically for removing built up track rubber, only issues is it is 220v.
I also asked Michelin, and the customer service rep said he has heard of customers using a pressure washer - I think I will try a heat gun and a scraper.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:36 PM
corvettejoe09
CF Senior Member

I do the same thing that Lawdogg does. I do it on my lift at eye level. It's a little tough on your hands with the putty knife even with the heat gun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tracking Michelin Cup 2 Tires

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: