Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

LS9 valve guides

Old 02-11-2019, 03:28 PM
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member

Default LS9 valve guides

Dont tell me this is a issue with the ZR1. How many of you guys have swapped out heads?
Have 12k miles, will not be tracked, do i really need to worry about this. Some say yes, some say the LS9 is bullit proof, my Lord
Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 PM
BigVette427
CF Senior Member

Perhaps it is either in part a combination of the guides and valves? The LS9 uses slightly smaller Del West Ti intake valves than the LS7 uses, and had the same CrN coating prior to the point in time where Del West started tumble polishing their Ti valves. GM approached Del West when they were designing the LT4 and asked them to see if they could make their Ti valves any smoother. Del West proposed the additional step of tumble polishing the valves, and GM liked it so much they even began to apply the process to all the Ti valves they had in inventory for GM. Some machine shops like AHP will actually send out the older Ti valves that they inspect and approve for reuse, and Del West will apply this tumble polishing process to them, as well.

Who knows for certain if the issue is as bad as it is on the LS7, but the thing about valve guides are by the time you go through all the work to pull the heads and accurately measure your guides, you may as well rebuild/freshen up the heads while they are out, (great time if nonetheless to replace the lifters as you can only do that with the heads off.) AHP has a great new CNC porting program now for the LS9 cylinder heads so even if you kept the same OE cam and just do Johnson SLR 2110 lifters/ new pushrods, and AHP CNC ported heads with Moldstar 90 beryllium-free copper valve guides, PSI valve springs, and the additionally tumble polished Ti intake valves, you're going to pick up some good power on top of increased durability and reliability.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598859036
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
blackvetterzo6
CF Senior Member

Thanks, im on here everyday, and im just reading on this issue involving the LS9.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Gary '09 C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

John, in case you haven't seen my reference/compilation thread....the attachment therein contains links to actual CF reports. Gary

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-the-cf.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS9 valve guides

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: