Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

600whp z06

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:21 PM
01RedZ
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Michelin 4S - surprisingly great in the rain as well. Also I want to clear this up...its tq that spins tires not hp and usually higher rpm n/a engines have less tq down low which stops them from lighting up off the line vs cars with stock cam low rpm tree tugging torque. I feel better now.
Yep understand that... which is why the RSA's on my fathers camaro will hook across the band with a 725HP peak. My assumption is the Z makes so much more tq across the band that it will render PSS tires useless. I guess I'm really trying to determine if the car will even be fun to drive on PSS with the ability to put radials on it from time to time when I know the weather isn't going to let me down. Based on what's been said her seems like that a toss up depending on driver.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

My experience in 500-550whp:

DR's hook really well, as they should, impacts but does not kill handling. They feel slightly balloony through harder turns but not bad. Damp road = extreme caution and any water on the road at all = stop and wait for it to dry. This was on brand-new ET Streets, modest rain, 80F.

The around-200TW tires hook pretty hard and can handle rain reasonably well. Advan Neova, R888, etc. They handle awesome.

200+TW tires are fine from a roll. You can blow the tires off in 1-2 for sure, maybe in 3rd depending on gearing, power level & surface. My car at 550whp with 4.1 gears, traction in 3rd is surface dependent.

Personally I enjoy managing traction, and hate having to worry about a sprinkle of water, so I run 200-300TW tires.

Personal choice. I would not pass up a 'perfect' 600+ car due to tire choice
The following users liked this post:
01RedZ (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM
01RedZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by black00ta
This is a safety trade-off in both categories, spinning your tires on dry pavement is also dangerous during hard acceleration. What you should focus on is finding what works for you.

In my case I look to create ideal situations with tires, I replace my tires before tread depths get too low. this is directly related to hydroplaning resistance. When you combine the tires we use with the sizes we use, it's just a terrible combination for water evacuation.

You will always read stories about corvettes hydroplaning, nature of the beast. Your best fighting chance is with an all season tire if this is where your priorities are.
Its not a daily so my priorities lie with the best traction but the ability to drive in the rain if I need to. Then keep some Drag Radials around so I can go for those really interesting drives from time to time. Its will really be a street driven weekend cruiser for the most part with the occasional long haul 500 miles one way.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by 01RedZ
So outside of being able to punch it from a Dig has moving back to regular tire really decreased your enjoyment of driving the car?

My dad has a 14 1LE Camaro with Procharger, cam & full exhaust that dynos 725RWHP. He is on goodyear eagle RSAs and you can hammer it in second from a roll and it doesn't miss a beat. From what i have read it sounds like the LS7 will blow a PSS tire off at almost any speed through 3rd?
what rear suspension mods and are these factory size tires(20’s) on this Camaro? I understand it’s significantly heavier in the rear compared to a ZO6, but I also find it very hard to believe a stock suspension and an all weather street tire could ever hold 725whp from 2nd, probably not even third. Could be wrong, been wrong before but this seems hard to believe that tire on a 20 inch wheel would hold factory power levels not to mention 725whp. I did meet a guy this weekend with basically the same numbers on a 2015 Camaro with a D1SC.....he had 17x11 welds and Mickey et streets I believe they were 305/45/17 could have been 50’s though point being he had a very large amount of side wall.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

I'm 600 at the tire so I know what you are talking about...just know when you can floor it and when not to. Id rather have a car that can break traction on demand in 1st vs a car that is to pu$$y to be able to lol
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM
01RedZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 73DBG
what rear suspension mods and are these factory size tires(20’s) on this Camaro? I understand it’s significantly heavier in the rear compared to a ZO6, but I also find it very hard to believe a stock suspension and an all weather street tire could ever hold 725whp from 2nd, probably not even third. Could be wrong, been wrong before but this seems hard to believe that tire on a 20 inch wheel would hold factory power levels not to mention 725whp. I did meet a guy this weekend with basically the same numbers on a 2015 Camaro with a D1SC.....he had 17x11 welds and Mickey et streets I believe they were 305/45/17 could have been 50’s though point being he had a very large amount of side wall.
Apologies on the orgianl post.. they are the F1 Supercar tires...... far cry from RSA's. Ill crawl back in my hole now :-)

Open road 55 MPH in 2nd hammered it and it stuck all the way to redline. Sidestep the clutch in first and its a smoke show. You also could no launch the car on them but they performed rather well that day. It was 80+ degrees out that day and humid so peak HP numbers were likely down as well. Tires were also relatively new. He has commented to me on multiple occasions that without heat in them they are pretty useless.

No rear suspension mods. The car is a 1le so better suspension from the factory but not setup for that kind of power.

Last edited by 01RedZ; 02-18-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:44 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I know how crazy my original statement sounds but that was my experience in the car. Open road 55 MPH in 2nd hammered it and it stuck all the way to redline. Sidestep the clutch in first and its a smoke show. You also could no launch the car on them but they performed rather well that day. It was 80+ degrees out that day and humid so peak HP numbers were likely down as well. Tires were also relatively new. He has commented to me on multiple occasions that without heat in them they are pretty useless.
well 55mph in 2nd makes more sense, heated up and warm air temps added weight the Camaro has it’s certainly plausible, if it works it works I guess 🤷🏻*♂️
Old 02-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

And if traction control is on, and cutting in, hard to compare that as well.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
And if traction control is on, and cutting in, hard to compare that as well.
Interesting. While reading this thread I was wondering if nannies were being used.

My 06 C6 Vert makes 606 RWHP w/516 torque but the nannies, both traction control and active handling must be disabled since they were set up from the factory when stock.

I suppose there is no way to have the nannies tuned back in is there?
Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Sure you can just takes time
Old 02-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

So outside of being able to punch it from a Dig has moving back to regular tire really decreased your enjoyment of driving the car?

My dad has a 14 1LE Camaro with Procharger, cam & full exhaust that dynos 725RWHP. He is on goodyear eagle RSAs and you can hammer it in second from a roll and it doesn't miss a beat. From what i have read it sounds like the LS7 will blow a PSS tire off at almost any speed through 3rd?
I think several people posted some very good comments about the drag radial option. It’s just a matter of trade offs you can’t have everything. Similar to a big cam or medium cam one make much more power but you sacrifice drivability. Moving from the Nitto NT05R DR to the Michelin PSS made it so I was unable to hook in 1st gear at WOT or maybe even part of 2nd. I was able to partially hook in 2nd say at 55-60 which is the sweetspot for a C6Z only if I was very careful this is with 560 RWHP. This is with the 335 tire on a 20 inch wheel I can’t imagine what 600+ RWHP would be like on street tires.

Maybe try the MPSS in 345 if you still have the stock 19 inch wheel. Another option is the R888 series for street tires.

It didn’t decrease my enjoyment of the car because I didn’t have to worry about dying driving the car in the rain. This is based solely on my personal experience. I’m not a stranger to high HP cars or cars with DR’s. I had just one really bad experience with DR’s which sticks. Some have gone years w/out an issue with DR’s I am just not one of them.

Last edited by Chonger; 02-18-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: New sentence
01RedZ (02-19-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:29 PM
TOM WELCH
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

this is the way
Old 02-19-2019, 09:02 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

they are the F1 Supercar tires...... far cry from RSA's. Ill crawl back in my hole now :-)
lol now that makes sense!

Originally Posted by Chonger
It didn’t decrease my enjoyment of the car because I didn’t have to worry about dying driving the car in the rain. This is based solely on my personal experience. I’m not a stranger to high HP cars or cars with DR’s. I had just one really bad experience with DR’s which sticks. Some have gone years w/out an issue with DR’s I am just not one of them.
More or less the same here. The DRs were just too sketchy in the wet, I managed to keep it straight but that rear end was very, shall we say, 'non-secure'! I could keep it going at 25mph but that's a major hazard when traffic is doing 70...

I want to enjoy my car without stressing about a shower. I've come to enjoy managing traction with the loud pedal at lower speeds around town. Some of the onlookers do too
01RedZ (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM
01RedZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by acroy
lol now that makes sense!

More or less the same here. The DRs were just too sketchy in the wet, I managed to keep it straight but that rear end was very, shall we say, 'non-secure'! I could keep it going at 25mph but that's a major hazard when traffic is doing 70...

I want to enjoy my car without stressing about a shower. I've come to enjoy managing traction with the loud pedal at lower speeds around town. Some of the onlookers do too
Really appreciate all the feedback on the topic. Sounds like 345 MPSS or R888's are the ticket.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM
alec427
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you drive the car in the rain at all? Any concern about moving to a drag radial and losing that ability?
Not typically. Unfortunately it's a catch 22 - go with a stickier DR and forget about driving in the rain or stick with a PS4S and deal with wheel spin. Really comes down to how you use the car and what you prioritize. Could always have a set for both occasions...
Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 AM
01RedZ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by alec427
Not typically. Unfortunately it's a catch 22 - go with a stickier DR and forget about driving in the rain or stick with a PS4S and deal with wheel spin. Really comes down to how you use the car and what you prioritize. Could always have a set for both occasions...
Imi really thinking CF10's with summer/rain capable tires on them and Stock wheels with radials in the back as well. The car currently has nitto radials on it so easy enough to have that as a backup set.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

R888s are not that much better than a drag radial. Still a dry weather competition tire.

Have two sets of wheels is the answer.

Get notified of new replies

To 600whp z06

Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM
alec427
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Imi really thinking CF10's with summer/rain capable tires on them and Stock wheels with radials in the back as well. The car currently has nitto radials on it so easy enough to have that as a backup set.
That's what I'm thinking as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:54 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
Sure you can just takes time
OK thanks I will see about getting hooked up with a tuner to get this done. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Thanks to all that contributed to this discussion.

It helped me decide to go ahead and order Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ Run Flats today and think about getting a separate set of tires and wheels for hot sunny days that I will not be out of town and have to risk dealing rain.

The peace of mind Run Flats will give when we do take an out of town trip will be worth have two set of tires and wheels. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: 600whp z06