Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

MSD porting choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Navy Blue 210
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Unless you are chasing numbers and going all out, I would just run it out of the box, or do the peak speed shop.
LOL, Says the Man with the 1400 RWHP Build!

Tony ported my Fast 92 ten years ago for my 99 C5, & my FAST LS3 Mid Length 3 years ago
for my custom 690 HP 396" both of which exceeded my expectations.

Tony Pioneered porting of both the FAST & MSD Intakes.
If you want the Best, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Navy Blue 210; 03-02-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
hy_bmw_freak
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06Silverbullet
How in the world would know what the difference would be on my car? There are plenty of comparisons out there proving other wise. My cars has heads, cam, full exhaust, cold air and 102 TB so how wouldn't it benefit from being ported?
Because i have almost the same setup like yours.
the larger the diameter, the slower the flow velocity
and what does it do when the heads and the cam can not take anymore

I have tested with Ported MSD and 102mm tb with Log Drives on Hp Tuners and with the performance box to 60-130 mph on the same Rod same weather.

What i say can is that the car was Little slower on the street with ported msd and 102 tb.

Also if you dont have good performance ported heads with really good cam it's not worth it.
Thats what im tested it on two diffrent cars with similar setup.

I know that the ported msd bring a lot if the whole concept fits you can see a lot dyno charts befor and after ported msd.
and do not feel directly attacked was not meant negative your conversions are great

Last edited by hy_bmw_freak; 03-02-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:36 PM
LawrenceFromTorrance
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 113 Posts

Would somebody explain to me that when you buy an after market (MSD) intake that was designed to increase HP/Torque why it needs to be ported to get the most out of it?? Why doesn't the manufacturer just do their best so it doesn't need porting?? Is this because the MSD is emissions legal and if so doesn't porting it then render it emissions illegal??
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I ported my MSD, but I know what I'm doing. I had roughly 8 hours into it, and I use air tools with 1/4" carbide burs, not a Dremel. You have to shape the first port the best you can without removing too much, then make several templates and gauges to use on the remaining ports to keep them all the same. After I was done, I was asking myself why I didn't just send the damn thing to Mamo..... My time has value too.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:23 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Received 360 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance
Would somebody explain to me that when you buy an after market (MSD) intake that was designed to increase HP/Torque why it needs to be ported to get the most out of it?? Why doesn't the manufacturer just do their best so it doesn't need porting?? Is this because the MSD is emissions legal and if so doesn't porting it then render it emissions illegal??
Because the stock MSD is built to a stock 427.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:27 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hy_bmw_freak
Because i have almost the same setup like yours.
the larger the diameter, the slower the flow velocity
and what does it do when the heads and the cam can not take anymore

I have tested with Ported MSD and 102mm tb with Log Drives on Hp Tuners and with the performance box to 60-130 mph on the same Rod same weather.

What i say can is that the car was Little slower on the street with ported msd and 102 tb.

Also if you dont have good performance ported heads with really good cam it's not worth it.
Thats what im tested it on two diffrent cars with similar setup.

I know that the ported msd bring a lot if the whole concept fits you can see a lot dyno charts befor and after ported msd.
and do not feel directly attacked was not meant negative your conversions are great
Not here to argue, you have your opinion and I have mine. Your obviously sticking with yours and I'm sticking with mine.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:31 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Navy Blue 210

Tony ported my Fast 92 ten years ago for my 99 C5, & my FAST LS3 Mid Length 3 years ago

The following users liked this post:
Navy Blue 210 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Worth is is always a personal choice based on ones finances and goals. Hell I just spent $400 on black fittings and a new FPR because I didn't want a red one to stand out in the engine bay. No difference in performance or anything, just looks. That was worth it to me.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by hy_bmw_freak
make it self but i dont think thats not so good as Tony Mamos port. I can understand why thats so expensive to the porting that's a Lot Work.
That what i say can is on the stock heads with mild cam It's not worth it is my opinion.

But with ported heads with any stage 3 cam or rpm cam and ported Msd with 1 7/8 headers or 2 inch headers it's worth it i think.

Mine was opened more than that slightly but that looks good up through the runner. You probably will still make close to the same as a Mamo.
hy_bmw_freak (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 03:36 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
That is why you scour the internet for Mamo ported MSD pictures and do it. One can always go Hi-Ram.

Also, try to match the runners to the heads. Turbulence can be created if not. Intake airflow and turbulence is not rocket science it takes a while to learn and figure out though.

My ported MSD just sold to a guy who is going AI/B3 so it will be interesting to see what happens lol. Mine is not as ported as a Mamo to keep things on the safe side. I would guess mine would be within 5 rwhp or so.

^^ This guy gets it. Taking it upon yourself isn't about thinking you can out do Mamo, because you can't. If you're on a max/high effort NA build and after all you can possibly get to talk numbers, then spend your money on the proven names otherwise you'll always wonder.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:11 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by 03worthy4link
^^ This guy gets it. Taking it upon yourself isn't about thinking you can out do Mamo, because you can't. If you're on a max/high effort NA build and after all you can possibly get to talk numbers, then spend your money on the proven names otherwise you'll always wonder.
A forum member did a custom MSD that I would put money on over a Mamo. It is a short runner design and would just about mirror a Hi-Ram on the graph. Less power than a Hi-Ram, near identical power/torque curve. His car made 630 rwhp with it and he did not have fancy heads. I think they were touched up stock casting heads.

Definitely possible to out-do Mamo.
hy_bmw_freak (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Wow did this thread go in a different direction.
To each his own, no reason to bash Mamo.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Wow did this thread go in a different direction.
To each his own, no reason to bash Mamo.
Not bashing, only stating. Mamo is not the be all-end all. Definitely a good intake, I only said what I did because the previous poster said he cannot be out-done.

My next setup that I am going to has made well over any Mamo setup. Except there is a hole in my hood.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Hib Halverson
Pro Mechanic
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,135 Likes on 592 Posts

"Navy Blue 210" gets the Saturday afternoon "Beacon of Reality" Award.

Tony Mamo started the "ported MSD" trend and he got started because, he knows far more about air flow than anyone else who came later trying to imitate him and cash in on the market. Everyone else either copied his work and sells for less or is putting far less time into the job.

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 03-02-2019 at 08:15 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hib Halverson:
Che70velle (03-07-2019), LS1Steve (03-06-2019), Navy Blue 210 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:28 PM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson
"Navy Blue 210" gets the Saturday afternoon "Beacon of Reality" Award.

Tony Mamo started the "ported MSD" trend and he got started because, he knows far more about air flow than anyone else who came later trying to imitate him and cash in on the market. Everyone else either copied his work and sells for less or is putting far less time into the job.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:32 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

I guess we were due for another one of these threads.....LOL

"Ported intakes" or "Ported heads" only sound the same (and look the same) on paper.....ultimately your results can and will vary a great deal. That's why (typically) more expensive heads make more power than budget heads.....intake manifolds are no different

What's actually involved in the work and the approach to the design of that said work will be vastly different by the R&D hours and dyno time previously invested, not to mention some of the other "obvious" which is the knowledge, the experience, and the skill of the shop or individual porting whatever we are discussing being ported. This is the reality of the situation and an undisputed fact and anyone with a modest amount of intelligence would have to agree.

In short I consider myself an expert on airflow and have paid my dues to say that confidently. I designed and built a flowbench from scratch in 1996 which took the better part of six months and I have invested thousands of hours working on it. You guys need to understand that port development and manifold/cylinder head design is a very specialized field that you need to hyper focus on to become proficient at your craft and even still among the select companies and individuals that specialize in it there are some with more of an aptitude for it than others. Knowing where to leave (or even add material) is just as important as knowing where to remove material. The highlight of my professional career (previous to launching Mamo Motorsports at least), was handling ALL the R&D and product design at AirFlow Research (AFR) for the better part of 15 years with tremendous success (cylinder heads, intake manifolds etc.). Those not familiar with my background who are considering whether to utilize my services should spend the time to better familiar themselves with my proven track record of over two decades in this industry (starting at Scott Shafiroff Racing engines in the late 90's doing all their porting work....in fact that's when Airflow Research took notice of what I was doing and made an offer to move me across the country and have me head up their R&D Department at AFR).

I think you guys will find this particular thread highly informative and right on point to this thread. Part of it covers some of what you can expect from low cost or "free" porting as well. C'mon guys....those who haven't learned you get what you pay for in life are either slow learners of prefer to keep their head in the sand to justify the money they saved. My work may not be for everyone but if your looking for high quality well executed proven work (and understand that comes with a cost), we are probably a good fit.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-mamo-vs.html

A quick glimpse of what real R&D looks like evaluating a change to my FAST intake manifold porting program (from a long time ago!) on the flowbench I built and mentioned above. Note the best way to check gains or losses in manifold designs is when they are physically bolted to a cylinder head to try and evaluate whether the change netted more or less air when the intake port is also in the equation.....flowing an intake straight on a flowbench can and will lead you down the wrong path.....you have to treat it as an extension of the intake port (which it actually is).

Sorry for the semi long reply but I had a lot to say and tried my best to stay on point. I hope some of you found this information helpful

Cheers,
Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 03-03-2019 at 09:04 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports:
dmartens (03-09-2019), LS1Steve (03-06-2019), rajahhindi (03-11-2019), RGT (03-03-2019), Wass (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 AM
C6Z06Silverbullet
Melting Slicks

Thanks for chiming in Tony, I was hoping you were following this thread.

Denis

Get notified of new replies

To MSD porting choices

Old 03-03-2019, 08:44 PM
hy_bmw_freak
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for chiming in Tony, I was hoping you were following this thread.

Denis
Nobody criticized Tony here.
but everyone has their own opinion and experience.
It does not have to run perfectly with every individual engine.
And that should also be respected and accepted
Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 AM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 903 Likes on 369 Posts

Just an FYI that I have extended this group purchase an additional week in an effort to help everyone out that signed up.

Trying to get closer to the ten mark in an effort to get everyone that larger discount I specified early on. Im only about halfway there but there seems to be a little more interest of late so we shall see.

Seems my group purchase spurred on this thread in the first place and felt it was relevant to post in this thread.

OP I hope you don't mind.

Thanks
Tony
LS1Steve (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 896 Likes on 685 Posts

Plenty of info out there. I fell into the Mamo wonderland before more results were made public. Luckily, I sold mine for a very small loss.

The MSD is pretty much as good as it gets, out of the box. It needs a small amount of work and it's ready to go. Don't over pay someone to make it "marginally" better. At the end of the day, you're still going to deal with shitty seals, retightening of bolts, loosening nuts, stripping threads; no matter who ports it.

Quick Reply: MSD porting choices