Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:27 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Default Clutch replacement

I recently had a transmission problem with my truck. It was repaired by a local transmission shop in my area and they did an excellent job. I wanted to get opinions if you thought it would be safe to take your Z in to get the clutch replaced at a local trans shop as opposed to a speed shop? Although i don't presently have a clutch issues I'd like to know my options if I do need work on it. The mechanic at the shop said he's worked on corvettes before and it wouldn't be a problem for them to replace an OEM or aftermarket clutch.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Way to broad and open ended. Sure there are probably great shops like that. There are probably great mechanics are specific shops. There are probably a bunch of horrible ones. Same with speed shops.

Would I let RPM transmissions replace a clutch? Hell yes. Would I let the local AMCO, nope. If you really believe and have evidence that they are competent and good at corvette clutches, go for it. Most "shops" though just charge off book at the book time on a clutch is crazy high, where some speed shops know what needs to be done and have a much better rate.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

RPM in indiana only charges like 5-600 to R&R for a clutch

thats worth it imo
KY isnt too far but SHORTUNING in KY should be able to point you in the right direction for a shop thats closer

im with unreal on the "speed shop" guys or edwards transmissions, may as well buy lottery tickets LOL
Old 02-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Basically it boils down to "would you trust a place that is competent and has done this before to do it?" which of course the answer is yes. The question should be, How you do tell that they know what they are doing and competent. Taking their word for it is a sure fire way to get hosed. Aftermarket clutches on vettes need stuff like shims, stack height, etc etc that a normal place won't know about throwing in replacement OEM clutches. I much rather goto a place that you know does these regularly.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 AM
~STOLEN~
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Basically it boils down to "would you trust a place that is competent and has done this before to do it?" which of course the answer is yes. The question should be, How you do tell that they know what they are doing and competent. Taking their word for it is a sure fire way to get hosed. Aftermarket clutches on vettes need stuff like shims, stack height, etc etc that a normal place won't know about throwing in replacement OEM clutches. I much rather goto a place that you know does these regularly.
ive done 2 of my own without a lift....and its not too bad, but thats with with help from a buddy and forum info/members

maybe its high time he does a clutch swap on his own!!! save the money and buy some other parts with money saved.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:52 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

There are 2 major things that I would need to replace my own clutch.

1. Knowing someone who'd done it before and would be available to help.
2. I'd need to be about 10 years younger before I ever think about it.

I originally went to the dealer to look at my trans problem. It took them 2 days to tell me they couldn't even look at it for 3 additional days. I took the truck to an Indy Trans shop and they diagnosed and repaired in a day and a half. Fyi my 2016 F150 Valve body went bad and needed to be replaced.

I was just thinking as you said it's not that complicated of a repair and the shop in question is highly rated online and I was impressed by there service as well.

Last edited by pjazz; 02-26-2019 at 11:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch replacement

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement