Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Zr1 Carbon Fiber Decklid

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Zr1 Carbon Fiber Decklid

Hi all, I’ve owned several c7s and I recently purchased a 2010 Zr1 and I don’t know why but I love this car more than my c7 z06. Has anyone installed the Katech carbon fiber deck lid? Was there significant weight savings? Any new rattles? Also, I track all my cars. The car is 3z is there any better aero options that I can add to the car besides a wing that will give me a little more down force? I want to keep the car balanced but don’t want to lose too much top end speed as I do half mile events as well. Also, any recommendations on where to get the cup 2 wheels at a decent price? Is there a difference in weight? Last, I noticed a slight vibration at the dreaded 75 to 80. If I change the front rotors will it fix the issue? Also, are rotors now fully balanced when purchasing? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:22 PM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

there is a sticky about the vibrations/

deck lid? you mean the rear hatch?
Old 03-02-2019, 10:32 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Yeah, I’ve tried to read the sticky but at 631 it’s difficult to flind an answer to the best solution. Yes, the trunk. You
Old 03-03-2019, 07:11 AM
bptuner
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

there was a carbon hatch with window in the for sale section not long ago, Id do a search there and ask him about pros cons. if I find it ill add the link to this post
Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Originally Posted by bptuner
there was a carbon hatch with window in the for sale section not long ago, Id do a search there and ask him about pros cons. if I find it ill add the link to this post
thanks...
Old 03-03-2019, 01:33 PM
07427z
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a few people with them.
30 lbs weight savings w the lexan window.
There was a recent thread with a white z and the katech hatch.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:11 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nadovedan
Hi all, I’ve owned several c7s and I recently purchased a 2010 Zr1 and I don’t know why but I love this car more than my c7 z06. Has anyone installed the Katech carbon fiber deck lid? Was there significant weight savings? Any new rattles? Also, I track all my cars. The car is 3z is there any better aero options that I can add to the car besides a wing that will give me a little more down force? I want to keep the car balanced but don’t want to lose too much top end speed as I do half mile events as well. Also, any recommendations on where to get the cup 2 wheels at a decent price? Is there a difference in weight? Last, I noticed a slight vibration at the dreaded 75 to 80. If I change the front rotors will it fix the issue? Also, are rotors now fully balanced when purchasing? Thanks in advance.
I would query Jason at Katech. You will find him very knowledgeable and helpful.

I don't have the hatch but have talked to one who does. He was generally very happy with it. Can't speak to rattles as we didn't talk about them. And don't remember weight difference but do remember it was significant. He did say interior noise was increased, but not a concern on the track. And on the track, at speed, with the windows down the hatch transparency flutters slightly. There is a support down the middle of the transparency to minimize this. The hatch is in reality a track piece and when driven on the street, compromises will be required.

I have Katech's spoiler on my car. It works very well and it flawless in appearance, as are all of their carbon fiber. But on the backstretch at VIR it created a decrease in top speed of three or four mph. You make it up in the corners. Without knowing how your car is configured, the combination of splitter, spoiler and side skirts should result in quicker lap times.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:30 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

I had that issue with one of my earlier cars. First, make certain the wheel & the tire are balanced correctly before buying rotors. I believe if you do need to buy new rotors you wont have the same issue and they should be balanced. I also believe that the 2013's came with small holes drilled and tapped so that you could add weight if you needed to balance a bit. See the added weight to the second rotor.

Last edited by ufaj26; 03-03-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Thanks to all that replied, I appreciate it.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 07427z
There are a few people with them.
30 lbs weight savings w the lexan window.
There was a recent thread with a white z and the katech hatch.
Oh you mean this white car? It's mine!

Last edited by iwantaz06now; 03-13-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The Katech hatch plus lexan read window saves 34lbs of weight. Add a sliver of rubber in-between the lexan and the carbon brace and you'll get 0 vibration. Like it's 100% stock.

Cup wheels save about 5 lbs total vs regular ZR1 wheels. Pilot sport cup 2 tires are weight savers as well.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:03 AM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Originally Posted by iwantaz06now
The Katech hatch plus lexan read window saves 34lbs of weight. Add a sliver of rubber in-between the lexan and the carbon brace and you'll get 0 vibration. Like it's 100% stock.

Cup wheels save about 5 lbs total vs regular ZR1 wheels. Pilot sport cup 2 tires are weight savers as well.
thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Zr1 Carbon Fiber Decklid

Quick Reply: Zr1 Carbon Fiber Decklid