Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] I prefilled the oil filter then added 8qts, Did I overfill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Default I prefilled the oil filter then added 8qts, Did I overfill?

2006 C6Z so capacity is 8qts. Should I drain some oil out or do you think the prefilled oil filter amount is insignificant?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 AM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Fine

You should be ok just drive it normal and see how much its burned after 300 miles....
Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

How would we know? Why not warm the car up and look at the dipstick? An extra half quart will not cause issues, but it is hard to understand why you wouldn't just look at the dipstick. And you will never get all of the oil out of the system when changing the oil, as oil stays in the motor, oil galleries and lines. So you fill, warm car up and then check.

Last edited by Mordeth; 03-06-2019 at 08:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pdc001 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 790 Likes on 534 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree with Mordeth, an important step in the oil change process, follow the owners manual for checking the oil level.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:05 AM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mordeth
How would we know? Why not warm the car up and look at the dipstick? An extra half quart will not cause issues, but it is hard to understand why you wouldn't just look at the dipstick. And you will never get all of the oil out of the system when changing the oil, as oil stays in the motor, oil galleries and lines. So you fill, warm car up and then check.
its actually about 1/4 qt that went into the oil filter. It was too late to start the car and warm it up last night. I do know the dry sump level check procedure
Old 03-06-2019, 11:19 AM
keeso6z
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

I put 7 quarts in mine plus some in the filter and then checked and added. If the level when warm is between to the two marks you are fine. If over the top market, drain some out.
The following users liked this post:
2k Cobra (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:19 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Zcrit
its actually about 1/4 qt that went into the oil filter. It was too late to start the car and warm it up last night. I do know the dry sump level check procedure
If not already, start engine, allow it to idle until oil temp reaches ~ 140F and DO NOT rev it up. Turn off engine, wait between 3 & 5 mins and then check level at dipstick. Re-check level at least three times ensuring you get a consistent read. And if you must, use a nice LED flashlight so you can really see the level markings well. If oil level at middle or top of line, leave it alone, go in the house and watch Judge Judy. If level is passed the top line, then simply crack the drain plug, allow it to drip on a pan. Remember, it is always easier to add vs remove oil.

As best practice, next time, pour in a quart less, then allow oil to warm and check level - you can add little by little until you reach correct level. You're not going to hurt anything at idle unless you are way pass the filled line which will cause oil to spit all over the place.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Carlos
Old 03-06-2019, 05:21 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

Thanks Carlos, I plan to start it and do an idle warm up (not ideal, I prefer to drive slowly for a warm up), shut down and check level at 7 minutes then if it’s high, I have fluid vacuum pump (like the ones used for bleeding brakes but with a large tank reservoir) and I plan to use a new vinyl tube attached to the pump and insert it into the fill of the dry sump tank and suck out oil until the level is at the top mark.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:44 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Zcrit
Thanks Carlos, I plan to start it and do an idle warm up (not ideal, I prefer to drive slowly for a warm up), shut down and check level at 7 minutes then if it’s high, I have fluid vacuum pump (like the ones used for bleeding brakes but with a large tank reservoir) and I plan to use a new vinyl tube attached to the pump and insert it into the fill of the dry sump tank and suck out oil until the level is at the top mark.
You are welcome.

I hear ya on the warm up dealio, but would hate to see you over pressurized matters by driving it - even if at low R's. Idle is just Idle not as much pressure vs loading the engine. On the flip side, you have a relatively pain free of abstracting oil from the sump - then just remove some (1/2 quart) and drive it, then check it. You can always add some back in.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 PM
03Zcrit
Burning Brakes

I let it idle till the oil temp hit 160 and then shut it down and waited eight minutes. The oil was about an eighth of an inch above the full line/hole. I used the fluid vac to suck out a small amount of fluid from the tank and then it registered about a 16th of an inch below the full mark. Going to drive it once the rain stops and will check it again.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:31 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by keeso6z
I put 7 quarts in mine plus some in the filter and then checked and added...
This is what I do. Easier to add more vs take some out. 6-7 qts is plentyyyyy of oil then you let it warm up, measure, add more and go.

Last edited by Apocolipse; 03-06-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I prefilled the oil filter then added 8qts, Did I overfill?

Quick Reply: [Z06] I prefilled the oil filter then added 8qts, Did I overfill?