Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Injectors needed for E85 N/A Build? ~600whp

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:13 PM
TreyE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Injectors needed for E85 N/A Build? ~600whp

Hi all,

Just purchased my first vette a few months ago and...well...things have snowballed. I initially have heard about valve guide issues, so I decided to send my heads off to get CNC/Ported and rebuilt, then decided to mill some off for free horsepower. Then I decided I might as well do the cam while its off, stage 3. Then I came across a good deal on some Kooks headers & xpipe ($1000), then I came across a good deal on a MSD Intake Manifold ($725). Well now I'm trying to get everything matched up well before the tune so I don't have to do things twice.

I live in Tampa, FL and will be trying to have Jeremy at Fasterproms do the tune. I have already ordered the DSX E85 kit and was wondering what I need to do with injectors. I don't plan on modifying the engine must past where it is, no forced induction, want to keep it N/A. Can someone point me in the right direction of where stock injector limits are and where I should be safely? How will the stock fuel pump stand up to this? I think I kinda jumped the gun here, looking for a nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Trey

EDIT: I'm assuming high 500's with this build, but want to be able to have injectors for 600whp+ - reason for numbers in title. Before I get flamed.

Last edited by TreyE; 03-06-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:37 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TreyE

Hi all,

Just purchased my first vette a few months ago and...well...things have snowballed. I initially have heard about valve guide issues, so I decided to send my heads off to get CNC/Ported and rebuilt, then decided to mill some off for free horsepower. Then I decided I might as well do the cam while its off, stage 3. Then I came across a good deal on some Kooks headers & xpipe ($1000), then I came across a good deal on a MSD Intake Manifold ($725). Well now I'm trying to get everything matched up well before the tune so I don't have to do things twice.

I live in Tampa, FL and will be trying to have Jeremy at Fasterproms do the tune. I have already ordered the DSX E85 kit and was wondering what I need to do with injectors. I don't plan on modifying the engine must past where it is, no forced induction, want to keep it N/A. Can someone point me in the right direction of where stock injector limits are and where I should be safely? How will the stock fuel pump stand up to this? I think I kinda jumped the gun here, looking for a nudge in the right direction. Thanks in advance!

Trey

EDIT: I'm assuming high 500's with this build, but want to be able to have injectors for 600whp+ - reason for numbers in title. Before I get flamed.
Congrats Trey.

I will tell you right now, ditch those stock injectors and get yourself a set of FAST 85lbs units. We sell them, but you can also get them from any other authorized retailer. If your pump is up to the task, then leave it alone until if and/or when it gets fatigued. If your budget allows, get yourself a 450lph Walboro in-tank fuel pump.

You can check condition of pump buy plugging in a mechanical gauge on the rail valve (driver side). FUEL PSI should read 60psi and stay there as you drive (RPM climbs). You can do a quick and dirty check by connecting the mechanical gauge with a long line, run gauge to your windshield, tape it facing driver seat and take a quick spin. Monitor psi and if it stays at 60psi (do not drop) and then you're good, If not, then you will need to address the pump. Larger injectors will not save you from a mechanical mess if your pump is tired.

Follow me?

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 03-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 722 Likes on 496 Posts

I'm not sure hes going to properly be able to tell during a top-speed pull to 150~mph if the fuel pressure is dropped 5 to 10psi or whatever on a gauge taped to the windshield.

The pump could flow fine for quick bursts (1st and 2nd) but be miserably out of juice during longer pulls.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
I'm not sure hes going to properly be able to tell during a top-speed pull to 150~mph if the fuel pressure is dropped 5 to 10psi or whatever on a gauge taped to the windshield.

The pump could flow fine for quick bursts (1st and 2nd) but be miserably out of juice during longer pulls.
Believe me, if its tired, you'll be able to tell right away. Needing to see if there is a steady psi rate at various loads without going Mad Max. Or, he can take to any competent shop for proper evaluation. I was just giving him a "quick & dirty" - cheap/free way to check. He can take line/gauge into car and watch it if he chooses to go Mad Max style.

Thanks,
Carlos

Last edited by Myhardtop; 03-06-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I have 850's, 750's would suffice.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:26 PM
TreyE
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Congrats Trey.

I will tell you right now, ditch those stock injectors and get yourself a set of FAST 85lbs units. We sell them, but you can also get them from any other authorized retailer. If your pump is up to the task, then leave it alone until if and/or when it gets fatigued. If your budget allows, get yourself a 450lph Walboro in-tank fuel pump.

You can check condition of pump buy plugging in a mechanical gauge on the rail valve (driver side). FUEL PSI should read 60psi and stay there as you drive (RPM climbs). You can do a quick and dirty check by connecting the mechanical gauge with a long line, run gauge to your windshield, tape it facing driver seat and take a quick spin. Monitor psi and if it stays at 60psi (do not drop) and then you're good, If not, then you will need to address the pump. Larger injectors will not save you from a mechanical mess if your pump is tired.

Follow me?

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks,
Carlos
Absolutely, I've changed the in-tank to a Wally 250 on my 240SX project car I had - although I'm not sure where the tank is on a Corvette lol.

Originally Posted by Innovate
I have 850's, 750's would suffice.
Thanks for the input. So the consensus is the stockers will not be OK to run full E85 at that power level?
Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Absolutely, I've changed the in-tank to a Wally 250 on my 240SX project car I had - although I'm not sure where the tank is on a Corvette lol.

Thanks for the input. So the consensus is the stockers will not be OK to run full E85 at that power level?
No, HCIE I was 96% duty cycle when I made 572 rwhp. My next setup was going bigger power and I grabbed 850's. Made 584 rwhp while the heads lifted off the block because the gaskets did not seal. That setup was 44% duty cycle.

Round 3 will include E and a Hi-Ram so I have a ton of room to play with.
The following users liked this post:
TreyE (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Oh heck, you have experience swapping pumps; these vettes are not much different - pump is in the tank.

And yes, stock injectors are no bueno to run with E85 - they do not flow enough.

Thanks,
Carlos

Get notified of new replies

To Injectors needed for E85 N/A Build? ~600whp

Quick Reply: [Z06] Injectors needed for E85 N/A Build? ~600whp