Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Happy Birthday to me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:18 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I use Adams products for my cars... If I want paint correct I have a buddy who details as a "side" business.. To me, its money well spent AND you get the satisfaction of the end result.
Just my .02... Recently cleaned my ride up...

Originally Posted by Sean Belflower
What supplies do you recommend ?

Last edited by TXGS507; 03-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Belflower
It’s surprisingly clean for having 88k miles. Most non car people think it’s new.
I'll say, do consider 08Z's advice re detailing. DIY or hire-out is money well spent.
Lord knows my '08 needs some love, and will get some this season, after 62K thoroughly enjoyable miles.
One thing Sean, it's important the body areas behind front tires get some protection ASAP.
Road sand etc will abrade paint in no time a'tall, paint, primer down to composite.
This isn't only w/ Z06 either, standard also. Z06 just uses wider stickier tires which throw tons of crap against body & rear brake ducts.
Paint doesn't stand a chance.

I use Apsis guards, which while pricey (~$300) have worked well over 10 years limiting damage. Still , my ducts will probably need a re-paint, anyway.
Not good, it's JSB. AO & JSB were 3 (VY #3?) 'designer colors' offered, and not cheap to repair.
FWIW other owners report good protection results using some brand of protective film.
Salient point is, get something.
Don't wait 'til you notice it either, by then it'll be too late.

Im the third owner. I paid $28k for it. On top of having AHP heads it’s been tuned by Jeremy from fasterproms/cleetus mcfarland YouTube channel.
44K p/owner, not bad for 13 y/o.
One owner (last?) had enough on the ball to have had the proper maintenance. It was loved.
Here's to hoping you got a good one.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Sean Belflower
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
I'll say, do consider 08Z's advice re detailing. DIY or hire-out is money well spent.
Lord knows my '08 needs some love, and will get some this season, after 62K thoroughly enjoyable miles.
One thing Sean, it's important the body areas behind front tires get some protection ASAP.
Road sand etc will abrade paint in no time a'tall, paint, primer down to composite.
This isn't only w/ Z06 either, standard also. Z06 just uses wider stickier tires which throw tons of crap against body & rear brake ducts.
Paint doesn't stand a chance.

I use Apsis guards, which while pricey (~$300) have worked well over 10 years limiting damage. Still , my ducts will probably need a re-paint, anyway.
Not good, it's JSB. AO & JSB were 3 (VY #3?) 'designer colors' offered, and not cheap to repair.
FWIW other owners report good protection results using some brand of protective film.
Salient point is, get something.
Don't wait 'til you notice it either, by then it'll be too late.

44K p/owner, not bad for 13 y/o.
One owner (last?) had enough on the ball to have had the proper maintenance. It was loved.
Here's to hoping you got a good one.
Yea the last owner had the tune, and heads done by a highly reviewed tuner shop at 80k miles. Yea from what I have been able to tell the car has been loved.

As as far as paint correction the air ducts at the bottom have had the paint chipped and I did notice that the tires have been kicking up dirt and causing little knicks and scatches at the bottom of the car but from 10 feet away it looks great! I’d love to have the paint look 100% but I also want to drive it! I imagine a lot of you guys can relate to that struggle! Maybe at 100k miles I’ll splurg and get the paint corrected and get a coating put on. Do you guys recommend ceramic coating or the 3M clear bra stuff.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM
CDNZ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

No need to wait for the 100k mileage mark for paint correction, you should give it a go yourself. The process is quite straight forward and easy and there are tons of DIY videos and tutorials on YouTube (almost too many, lol). I had a 2013 Raptor that I used in the oil patch for a few years and the paint was pretty rough to say the least. After watching some detailing vids and doing some reading, I picked up a D/A polisher, some Meguiars polish (M105 and M205) and after a bit of practice on my Jeep (and thorough wash and clay bar) I went for it on the Raptor and got amazing results! I highly recommend trying this yourself. I intend to do full paint correction and sealant this spring on my new to me 2010 Z06 I picked up in October, although I will not be using the Meguiars product on the Vette.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:11 PM
Sean Belflower
Instructor

Originally Posted by CDNZ
No need to wait for the 100k mileage mark for paint correction, you should give it a go yourself. The process is quite straight forward and easy and there are tons of DIY videos and tutorials on YouTube (almost too many, lol). I had a 2013 Raptor that I used in the oil patch for a few years and the paint was pretty rough to say the least. After watching some detailing vids and doing some reading, I picked up a D/A polisher, some Meguiars polish (M105 and M205) and after a bit of practice on my Jeep (and thorough wash and clay bar) I went for it on the Raptor and got amazing results! I highly recommend trying this yourself. I intend to do full paint correction and sealant this spring on my new to me 2010 Z06 I picked up in October, although I will not be using the Meguiars product on the Vette.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve got an old Nissan I daily drive. I’ll practice on that one first!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 PM
CDNZ
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts

PM sent Sean
Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 587 Likes on 518 Posts

Congrats, happy birthday!

-Josh
Old 03-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

congrats on the b-day present to yourself. i did the same thing in 1974 when i bought my 1972 lt-1 and i still have that car.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:50 PM
2nd chance
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been singing that song for seven years now

an it never gets old, congrats on your acquisition.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Sean Belflower
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
congrats on the b-day present to yourself. i did the same thing in 1974 when i bought my 1972 lt-1 and i still have that car.
wow that’s very impressive!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Sean Belflower
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2nd chance
I've been singing that song for seven years now

an it never gets old, congrats on your acquisition.
Thank you! Beautiful rides!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Happy Birthday to me!