Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Question about tuning after header and xpipe install.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 03:19 PM
WwCROSSwW
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about tuning after header and xpipe install.

I'm finally about to pull the trigger and order either a set of kooks or arh headers and catless xpipe for the z06. I have a buddy that has a lift to make life easier on the install that lives about an HR away. Will it still be safe to drive the car untuned for a bit after the install? I am obviously planning to tune the car but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause any damage getting to and from the location I'm going to do the install.

Other than that anyone suggest arh over kooks? Seems like they are around the same price and I know how the kooks sound on my cousin's cammed z06.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:53 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by WwCROSSwW
I'm finally about to pull the trigger and order either a set of kooks or arh headers and catless xpipe for the z06. I have a buddy that has a lift to make life easier on the install that lives about an HR away. Will it still be safe to drive the car untuned for a bit after the install? I am obviously planning to tune the car but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cause any damage getting to and from the location I'm going to do the install.

Other than that anyone suggest arh over kooks? Seems like they are around the same price and I know how the kooks sound on my cousin's cammed z06.
You can easily drive your car after a header install without a tune. ARH & Kooks are both great headers which we can give you a good deal on also. When doing headers I would highly suggest doing the a tunnel plate also. Adding a tunnel plate will elimination chassis flex AND reduce center console heat. If you order our tunnel plate with the thermal shield you'll eliminate most of the excessive heat in your center console.

Another good option for a good set of headers would be our TPS 1-7/8" RPM Headers for only $999 shipped to you.. they are made in the USA, fit great, easy to install and make very good power. If your looking for other brands such as ARH, Kooks, or B&B we can give you a great deal also. PLUS we offer 0% financing for our headers for up to 1 year

http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/tps-rp...-w-x-pipe.html

Features
-100% Made in USA
-They fit great & install EASY
-Have EXCELLENT ground clearance.
-Makes GREAT Power
-100% Made in the USA with USA Stainless Steel
-Includes Gaskets, extensions, & TPS Billet Catch Can
-Lifetime Warranty
-Our Hi-Flow Catalytic converters are made in the USA and are 49 State Legal
-All this for $999 shipped to your door.

Here are some reviews and pictures of products installed on customers cars..

C6 GS w/ Cats
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...er-review.html

C6 Z06 w/ Cats
-Made 508RWHP/ 473WTQ with nothing more than headers, intake and tune

Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 03-09-2019, 07:32 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

No issue besides may get a CE light on the tune part.

ARH make more power.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

You can drive it a bit before the tune, but keep it mellow...no hero runs and wringing out to the rev limiter.

I read more about fitment issues on Kooks than ARH...but both are high quality.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Sicvette
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by WwCROSSwW

I went with Kooks. They fit excellent. ARH also makes an outstanding set of headers. Honestly, IMO you can’t go wrong with either brand. People claiming x brand makes more power than y brand I am skeptical about it. See no power difference in brands on several different dynos that I’ve witnessed. Comes down to heads and Cam my friend. That’s where you unlock some nice gains, especially when you start adding more compression.

+1 on the heat shield. I regret not doing this. Center console gets toasty.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicvette
I went with Kooks. They fit excellent. ARH also makes an outstanding set of headers. Honestly, IMO you can’t go wrong with either brand. People claiming x brand makes more power than y brand I am skeptical about it. See no power difference in brands on several different dynos that I’ve witnessed. Comes down to heads and Cam my friend. That’s where you unlock some nice gains, especially when you start adding more compression.

+1 on the heat shield. I regret not doing this. Center console gets toasty.
Peak power maybe, but power across the curve there are big differences in brands. ARH have a really nice bump in low end torque compared to some others.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about tuning after header and xpipe install.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Question about tuning after header and xpipe install.