Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Colorado to Delaware-holy altitude change!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:35 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Colorado to Delaware-holy altitude change!

Wow is so inadequate to describe the difference in performance with my car after my recent move. I was at 7000 feet in North Colorado Springs; now I'm at 35 in Dover . By my research and math, I was losing 20%, or 101 hp. The car always felt great in Colorado, very quick and strong. At least that was my impression until now; man was I missing out on the insanity of the LS7. In retrospect, it was quite lethargic at altitude. It is SO much more responsive and snappy now. Car feels so brutal and is a bit on the scary side; traction is a joke in 1st and a fight in 2nd, 3rd gear MPH jumps 5-6 numbers at a time. I'm sure this is old news to you fellas who've always lived at lower altitudes, but this is literally like a whole new car!

I've played a little, but plan is to slowly explore the power and relearn how to drive her. No more planting the gas from a stop or stabbing the go pedal after a quick shift, at least until I learn how she'll respond. This is great; I suppose it's like adding a cam/ported heads maybe? Regardless, that first WOT pull was mind-boggling to me. Couldn't believe what I was missing, and just how freaking hard she pulled. I'm in love with her all over again! I have 2" ARH headers to put on, and was going to add a Halltech 103 and have RPM tune it. Think I may hold off for awhile, can't imagine adding more power to her at the moment.

As for the daily, my 2013 F150 gained about 70 hp after the move; she too feels like a race car in comparison to the Springs lol.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:51 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a downgrade. I was in the springs my last 4 yrs of the Army and moved back to WV. Can’t wait to move back to CO though. CO has so much more to offer.

About the car performance due to altitude-I was surprised to hear how much slower cars were when I first got there.

Last edited by slow_zo6; 03-09-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

This is what turbos are for
The following users liked this post:
wadenelson (03-12-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:09 AM
99Hawk262
Racer

Originally Posted by slow_zo6
Sounds like a downgrade. I was in the springs my last 4 yrs of the Army and moved back to WV. Can’t wait to move back to CO though. CO has so much more to offer.

About the car performance due to altitude-I was surprised to hear how much slower cars were when I first got there.
I was there for three years; I'm on an island when I say this, but my wife and I were both glad to get an assignment out of there. I get the appeal, it is a beautiful area, but way too many people and growing like crazy. Current population in the Springs is something like 470K. Dover is in the 40K vicinity. Cost of living was high, drivers were ******** (that can apply anywhere), and it was just a rat race trying to go anywhere and do anything. I went to Denver 5-6 times, every time was a nightmare of traffic and sitting on 25 not going anywhere. Outside of the mountains and hiking, I won't miss it and won't go back if I can help it. Most of the military out there do everything they can to stay forever.

I'm originally from Indiana, and will retire there one of these days. Not saying Dover is the best thing since sliced bread, but this area reminds me a lot of Indiana, so there's immediate appeal in that regards. I grew up farming, and there are farms all around this place. Can't wait to see them in action come Spring! Before Colorado, I was in Arkansas and Seattle before that; crazy as it sounds, Arkansas takes the cake for favorite assignment hands down.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:04 AM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
I was there for three years; I'm on an island when I say this, but my wife and I were both glad to get an assignment out of there. I get the appeal, it is a beautiful area, but way too many people and growing like crazy. Current population in the Springs is something like 470K. Dover is in the 40K vicinity. Cost of living was high, drivers were ******** (that can apply anywhere), and it was just a rat race trying to go anywhere and do anything. I went to Denver 5-6 times, every time was a nightmare of traffic and sitting on 25 not going anywhere. Outside of the mountains and hiking, I won't miss it and won't go back if I can help it. Most of the military out there do everything they can to stay forever.

I'm originally from Indiana, and will retire there one of these days. Not saying Dover is the best thing since sliced bread, but this area reminds me a lot of Indiana, so there's immediate appeal in that regards. I grew up farming, and there are farms all around this place. Can't wait to see them in action come Spring! Before Colorado, I was in Arkansas and Seattle before that; crazy as it sounds, Arkansas takes the cake for favorite assignment hands down.
Yes the springs def is getting overpopulated and I hear the libtards are flocking to CO. I stopped in Little Rock at night and had to change a headlight and def got a ghetto vibe though. Lol

Last edited by slow_zo6; 03-12-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Ft. Carson . 4th ID 1/10 Infantry... 87-89..

To the OP... Good stuff... Big question, how is Delaware? I have never been to that State.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 AM
99Hawk262
Racer

Yes the springs def is getting overpopulated and I hear the libtards are flocking to CO. I stopped in Little Rock at night was to change a headlight and def got a ghetto vibe though. Lol
Lol, yes downtown could be ghetto in places. I was North at LRAFB in Jacksonville, and lived even further North of there in Cabot. Cost of living was insanely low, never had a dollar stretch as far as it did there. Taxes were relatively low, registering the car for military was $1.25 a year, people were friendly, and within 5 hours of Nashville (2 hours to Memphis), St. Louis, OKC, and DFW. It was hot as heck, tornado heavy, and lots of bugs and critters, but really a nice assignment.

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
Ft. Carson . 4th ID 1/10 Infantry... 87-89..

To the OP... Good stuff... Big question, how is Delaware? I have never been to that State.
It's nice; seems quiet and not a whole lot of people. Tax free, close to Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. Lot of farms (corn, soybeans, wheat), beaches within 15 minutes, initial impression is cost of living lower than the Springs, housing market not great. Dover is 15 minutes from me and has everything I could possible ask for. Looking forward to this assignment, and getting some more seat time with the car! Raining all day today, so guess that'll have to wait.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Sounds like a little bit of heaven.... Good stuff.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:04 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I'd been thinking of going to the Colorado Mile but have been having second thoughts due to the altitude.

Last edited by pjazz; 03-12-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:30 PM
slow_zo6
Pro

Originally Posted by pjazz
I'd been thinking of going the Colorado Mile but have been having second thoughts due to the altitude.
Colorado mile?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:32 PM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Colorado mile?
Sorry bad grammar.
https://www.theusmileracing.com/the-colorado-mile/

Last edited by pjazz; 03-12-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Lol, yes downtown could be ghetto in places. I was North at LRAFB in Jacksonville, and lived even further North of there in Cabot. Cost of living was insanely low, never had a dollar stretch as far as it did there. Taxes were relatively low, registering the car for military was $1.25 a year, people were friendly, and within 5 hours of Nashville (2 hours to Memphis), St. Louis, OKC, and DFW. It was hot as heck, tornado heavy, and lots of bugs and critters, but really a nice assignment.

It's nice; seems quiet and not a whole lot of people. Tax free, close to Philly, NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. Lot of farms (corn, soybeans, wheat), beaches within 15 minutes, initial impression is cost of living lower than the Springs, housing market not great. Dover is 15 minutes from me and has everything I could possible ask for. Looking forward to this assignment, and getting some more seat time with the car! Raining all day today, so guess that'll have to wait.
I was also stationed at Lil Rock...from 2010-2013. Was a 3P0X1...then I retrained and had to go to Goodfellow. :/ Retired now, out in NC. But I also really enjoyed Little Rock...especially the car scene.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 PM
99Hawk262
Racer

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
I was also stationed at Lil Rock...from 2010-2013. Was a 3P0X1...then I retrained and had to go to Goodfellow. :/ Retired now, out in NC. But I also really enjoyed Little Rock...especially the car scene.
We overlapped; I was there from 2005-2016. I was Maintenance from 2005-2013, then a First Sergeant in FSS from 2013 to early 2016. I too loved the car scene; I had a 1999 Red Formula Firehawk for the majority of my time there. It was cammed, pretty loud, big stall converter. Loved racing it in Memphis and Prescott.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:29 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

a friend once told me they call turbos and superchargers "air enhancers" in colo cause the air is that bad...
Old 03-12-2019, 01:14 AM
devojrx7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I got stationed at LRAFB in 98 and have been here ever since. I was E&E in the 61st till 03 when I got out to go to school. I was in North Little Rock, but the crime was getting really bad. My wife found a house on 30 acres off Highway 5 just past Cabot that we couldn’t afford, but it has a 2800 sq/ft 12ft tall shop under the house so I low balled the hell out of them and got them down to something I could barely afford. It’s worth every penny though. I’ve always worked on and collected cars, I’ve had a max of 9 at once, but always only had a carport to work in. I really still don’t know what to do with all this shop space. My buddy just retired from LRAFB and is moving back to CO where he and his wife are from. He’s crying looking at houses there after living here. He said my place would be 2-3 million there.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Premiumspeed
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The joys of living near sea level! Here in Houston, when it's cold out and the humidity is low, i swear my car feels like it has 50-100 extra HP. When it's hot and humid runs ok, but once that first front comes through it's like a completely different animal.

My car fluctuates around .4 of a second in the 1/4 between summer and winter. Same track, just completely different weather conditions.

I have a DA app on my phone that pulls from the nearest airport. Some days i've seen it go from +2500 to -2500 with a good cold front.

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado to Delaware-holy altitude change!

Quick Reply: Colorado to Delaware-holy altitude change!