Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

More advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 PM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default More advice please

Since taking ownership of my C6Z, I’ve put a 1000 miles on her. I’ve run into two issues. First, when pulling hard in 2nd, the engine hesitates at 4000 rpm and acts like a rev limiter has tripped. Immediately the cel comes on solid, no flashes. Code reader reads ..” Mass air flow circuit A “. I inspected the MAP, looks clean and wiring socket as well. Hard pulls in 1st, 3rd thru 6th with no issues.
Second, and very minor is air flow only comes out of defroster vent and floor. Center stack vents have zero air flow. Heater works like a fission bomb, AC is colder than my mother in law. Are the vents controlled by vacuum? Solenoids? Can’t find any info through the web.
Other than above, no other issues and the car is a friggin beast. Only thing these cars lack are a “gear switch” and elevator trim. Came with Wild / Mild exhaust switch which for this 62 yr old, adds daily grins especially when it humbles some GQ in an AMG.

As with my prior post, your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Don’t have any good advice for you, but I found the AC being colder than your mother in law hilarious 🤣! Someone should be along soon with some potential trouble shooting though.
The following users liked this post:
KurtsZ06 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by KurtsZ06
Code reader reads ..” Mass air flow circuit A “. I inspected the MAP, looks clean and wiring socket as well.
Just to be clear, did you inspect the MA->F<- or the MA ->P<- ?

The MAF is in the intake air duct ahead of the throttle body, the MAP is in the intake manifold. Are you getting a code for one and checking the other? Your post indicates that you are but maybe it is a typo.

Does your car have the factory intake air system or an aftermarket one? If aftermarket, which one?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 AM
bobandc
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a similar issue with my 2007 Z, the cable to the MAS went bad. While there was no damage to the cable or the plug ends on mine, it's worth a 2nd look to see if you have any damage. In my case the 1st shop replaced the BCM and before I got home the same problem occurred. The 2nd shop figured it out and took the cable off a car that belonged to an employee there to test their theory. Car ran fine. I'll note that in my case the problem was more severe and we received several more codes plus more lights came on beyond the CEL but the problem sounds very similar.
The following users liked this post:
KurtsZ06 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
KurtsZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Just to be clear, did you inspect the MA->F<- or the MA ->P<- ?

The MAF is in the intake air duct ahead of the throttle body, the MAP is in the intake manifold. Are you getting a code for one and checking the other? Your post indicates that you are but maybe it is a typo.

Does your car have the factory intake air system or an aftermarket one? If aftermarket, which one?
i checked the MAF in the air duct, my typo. I have not checked the MAP in the manifold. I’ll do that today. Now that you mention, I believe the error code was for the MAP. I’ll look into it further but unfortunately, I cleared the cosdes in my reader and car.
i have the stock intake, no mods.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 AM
KurtsZ06
Racer

I just read about a series of defective MAS that effected Z06s and ZRs. Combined with the advice about the wire from above, it sounds like this may be the first part of a potential fix. One symptom I didn’t mention is that at idle, my engine tends to hunt for a stable idle. Yesterday it would idle down to 450 then surge to 1100. It was in extended bumper to bumper traffic with OAT of 75, engine was indicating 200 - 210 degrees. At first I thought it might be overheated fuel rails, before reading into defective sensors.
I had an AMG with the 12 cylinder twin turbo engine that did the same exact things. Dealer threw part after part at it amounting to $8,000 under warranty. Problem was eventually solved by upping fuel pressure in rails to illuminate vapor lock in the rails. So, prior experience may be helpful here.

Get notified of new replies

To More advice please

Quick Reply: More advice please