Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GMs Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Advertisement

Blackstone Report: First After New Heads !!

Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 AM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Default Blackstone Report: First After New Heads !!

So here is my latest Blackstone report. As a reminder I had new GM heads replaced after they were inspected and valve seats lapped by Richard at WCCH. OEM powder metal guides and all other components are stock.

This is the first full (3K miles) oil change since my heads were replaced. I did change oil after the first 500 miles. So total of 3.5K miles since heads replaced. Everything is consistent with previous reports except increase of Iron (2-3X my average). Do you think this is normal and more time necessary till motor is completely flushed out or do you think this is indicative of new GM powder metal guides wearing in or wearing poorly?

The motor continues to be quiet. And there was very little, less than ever iron fuzz on my magnetic oil plugs. So I was surprised to see the iron levels up so much.DH

Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
CDNZ
CF Member

Personally, I would be more concerned about the oil analysis on subsequent oil changes, rather than first after engine work has been done. My 2 cents anyway. Hope all goes well
Old 03-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CDNZ View Post
Personally, I would be more concerned about the oil analysis on subsequent oil changes, rather than first after engine work has been done. My 2 cents anyway. Hope all goes well
Well obviously I am hoping iron levels to retreat to where they historically were.
I thought the 500 mile oil change after the swap would clear the levels to normal.

DH
Old 03-15-2019, 04:35 PM
LS1Steve
CF Senior Member

Agree w/ above... first one is a toss-out. Mine showed slightly higher iron and titanium as well after heads, the latter likely due to Ti spring retainers wearing in. 2nd analysis back in norms.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 AM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1Steve View Post
Agree w/ above... first one is a toss-out. Mine showed slightly higher iron and titanium as well after heads, the latter likely due to Ti spring retainers wearing in. 2nd analysis back in norms.
Hope to see normal again too.

DH
Old 03-16-2019, 01:29 AM
AzDave47
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

It is good for a baseline after have the engine open. If you are concerned, you could do another at 1500 miles. With the car on jack stands it is easy to just pull the pan plug, get a sample and put the plug back in, just losing a half quart of oil.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:05 AM
RamAir972003
CF Senior Member

Default Look at mine

Howie you have my last oil analyses mine were PM guides compare mine to yours ......
Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by AzDave47 View Post
It is good for a baseline after have the engine open. If you are concerned, you could do another at 1500 miles. With the car on jack stands it is easy to just pull the pan plug, get a sample and put the plug back in, just losing a half quart of oil.
I'm not too concerned. Its the metal I would pick if I had to have one elevated.
Just trying to get feed back on whats normal after a head swap as far as elevated levels go.

DH
Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
Dirty Howie
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RamAir972003 View Post
Howie you have my last oil analyses mine were PM guides compare mine to yours ......
I do??

DH

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: